Culling the herd... (again)

Discussion in 'Blog Forum' started by IowaShooter, Dec 25, 2017.

1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Active Member

So...speaking of culling ...anyone had experience with a "gun buy back program"? I have several "candidates" around here somewhere (real junk). If the price is right ..I'd rather stick it to them than leave them for the wife to deal with after I'm dead. Just asking.

2. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You might check prices for them as parts on eBay.

JTJ likes this.

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Most I have sold I later regretted it. Some I dont miss at all.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I sold 3 guns at the gun show this weekend and bought a JM 1894C Marlin in very good shape. I ordered XS sights for it from Brownells $83.50. I am considering ordering the XS scout rail but I want to see how it does with the peep sight first.
    https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993372&CAT=8561

5. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I've only sold one gun, my first one a childhood 20ga single shot shotgun. Been accumulating firearms since...now, as I move into possible retirement my selling/trading habits may change as I do like to partake in new firearms and this may be a good way to finance future purchases and satisfy the itch

6. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I have never sold but a few that went to pay medical bills. I normally just accumulated. All entry level guns, mostly the H&R Single shots.

Lately I have been trading them at the LGS, selling them on consignment for store credit. Using the credit to to upgrade. I will have less but better quality. I will retire in just a few years, I want and feel like I deserve better than I have to enjoy during my retirement. I don't mind the fewer but better quality, matter of fact, I am enjoying them. I am averaging one new for every three sold. The Stainless Single Six convertable is worth the H&R 649:and a Sidekick or two!

Shopfox likes this.
  7. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

Just picked up a stainless single six in trade at the last gun show I went to.

There are a few safe frogs mixed in with all the safe queens.

My biggest problem is finding the time to shoot any of them.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My 3 screw blue single six was exchanged for the Marlin 1894C so I came out pretty good.

AZdave likes this.