crossbow

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by tyler916, Feb 26, 2013.

1. tyler916

tyler916 New Member

Which brand is decent at a decent prise

2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Shall we do some research together and see what might be found..! ;)

Through-out the seventies , I was really into crossbows and still am interested..! Back at you Bra..! :D

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I've had 3 and was not impressed with any of them(gave them to my kids). I would suggest a nice recurve bow if it is for Survival & Sustenance Living. I admit that I never had one of the $1000 ones but two of the ones I tried were fairly expensive.

4. dango

Back in the 70.s , I had a Barnette.........? :confused: Not since then , was FUN though..! :)

5. dango

I haven't forgotten about you and been researching some and ,WOW..!

Prices ranging from $200 and way up , mind boggling accessories and you kicked
    up major interests in me. Talking about STEALTH , very Kool.

There is so much stuff out there and want personal hands on enthusiasts opinions. I'll be back when I know something.!

Gone Web-surffing...................!

6. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Crossbows are awesome I know a guy that got one for free, brand new the one he got was around $550 though. I hit bullseyes all day long at 50 to 75 yds. Great fun...

7. dango

Just got back from "Amazon.com" and cross bows . I'm going to pick a few out and see the why's and what-fore's . 24 pages ..? This may take awhile , be at you !

8. dango

HOLY CRAP.......! :confused:
    Many questions........? :confused:
    1-What purpose , Hunting , novelty , WHAT FOR..?

2-Budget ? Plain , junk , toy , weaponry..?

3- Accessories , Ack..! Eeeek..! You name it , it's out there , (jewelry , cloths ,
    ETC. , ETC. and ETC..Eeeeek..? :confused:

4-Astetics ? Color , stealth , .......? Yo , Wow ..! Damn , "demented Clothing..?

5-Answer these simple questions and give a (YEAR , or TWO)..! Eeeek..!:confused: Too much , TOO many..!

Examples:

Junk-$245-$450..CB3002-(Zombie , RIP) 150 lbs. pull..!(HORTON).

(Excalibur Matrix) , Kool look-Black on Black , scope , 175 lbs. pull , $1100.!

Weird and unique , but portable , (Horton Havoc) $800 , 150 lbs. pull.!

Questions please..!........? :confused:

PINK...? YES...PINK..! Eeeek..!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  9. vance

vance New Member

[​IMG]

An insurance program for when the world runs out of ammo. and just plain old fun. I can shoot all day in my back yard.

10. dango

^.^ Sweet , simple............YES..! :)
    Question..?
    The way the 'string' rides the keeper , do you have string issues ? One problem I had with Barnett's.....!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  11. vance

vance New Member

No issue's as of yet, I keep it waxed and there's no fray's or abrasion. It's only been strung for the last year of the 25 years we've had it and I'll go out and loose about 30 bolts once a month. String only cost me 7 bucks to have made and knowing what I know now will probably start tying my own. The guy added the poms for free cuz he thought they would look cool.

The best thing about it is shooting for free. I can drop consecutive bolts on a milkjug at 25 to 30 yards and cant wait to pin a turkey to a tree!

12. dango

Yeap , they are accurate as hell ..!
    I got some prices between all the stuff I need and I can't get off for less than $1800 with everything included "Corn-husk" target..Thanks..!

I had much fun back in the day and do remember well . As long as you keep hitting the target , you can keep shooting and shooting .! I'd bet though , there are still bolts buried in the dirt some-wheres though..! Want a 4 power scope at least..! :)

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Crossbow's have come a long way from the primitive weapons of old.
    When I was shopping for one,I went to several archery shops and shot as many different brands/styles as I could. You'll be surprised at the difference between the different crossbows. I wanted one that was balanced,quite when fired,and still had very good speed/warranty/reputation.

The crossbow that I ended up buying was the Horton Vision 175,it had everything I wanted,and wasn't too expensive. Plus it shoots excellent!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

If your looking for a compound hunting crossbow, I would be tempted to sell mine I my self are not to found of it. I would prefer a re-curve crossbow with about a 130lb draw.

15. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I have a Horton Yukon that I bought new off ebay. I paid $225.00 and added a scope. Also invested in a hand crank that you will see on the crossbow in the picture below.

IMG_0184_1_resized.jpg

16. Ky_Rebel68

Ky_Rebel68 New Member

Hello dearhunter how much did that hand crank set you back? Also how many models does that work on?

17. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I searched the Internet for the hand crank. Paid about $90.00 bucks for a good quality hand crank that was registered to work with my bow. I tried other methods, but found reseting a crossbow in a tree stand without a hand crank is a bitch. Put in "crossbow hand cranks" in your search.

18. Ky_Rebel68

Ky_Rebel68 New Member

19. hmh

hmh New Member

Every crossbow I have shot my compound against I smoked it. I would invest your money in a huntertown arms .22 can it will be around the same price as good crossbow just a quite with CCI subsonic lr hp. Higher rate of fire. You cannot make new bolts out of wood for a crossbow. Max you would carry around 20 bolts. A .22 is lighter more ammo higher rate of fire. My 2¢ take it or leave it.

20. dango

I used to shoot a regular re-curve for years and found the cross bow exceptionally accurate . You sir must be quite a good shot , my hats off to you and SOLUTE to a master archer.! ;) My little cross bow back in the seventies
    no way could I out shoot that with any other type of bow . Scope , cross bow and that's as good as I get..!;)