crossbow or compound bow

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by rem870forever, Jul 15, 2013.

1. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

150 lb crossbow or 60-70 lb compound bow. Which is more powerful,accuracy, range

2. leschrn

leschrn New Member

I prefer a compound bow over a crossbow. The crossbow is going to have a greater speed and is going to be more accurate at shorter ranges than the compound bow. However, it compound bow has a greater range. It all depends what you are looking to accomplish with the weapon.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Crossbow has more power and is easier to get more accuracy out of it, with less practice. It reloads slower, is heavier, and pretty expensive. some states do not allow hunting with crossbows, or restrict them to a narrower bow season than compound and longbows.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I prefer the Crossbow,but my old wore out joints prevent me from shooting a Compound bow.
    Accuracy depends on each shooter,not the type of equipment. I have no problem hitting the bulls-eye at 60 yards with my crossbow,but couldn't hit the side of a barn with a compound bow at 30 yards.
    Don't get hung up on speed ratings,speed doesn't equal better and in most cases it equals=Noise,which is your biggest enemy when hunting with any type of string & stick throwing weapon.
    90% of your shots while hunting will be 40 yards or less,so having a quiet shooting bow is what you want.

Whatever type of bow you decide on,I suggest going to all of the archery shops in your area and shooting as many different brands/types of equipment that you can before you buy one. If you decide on a compound bow,get fitted for it properly.

5. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I prefer a compound it takes more skill to master and is harder then the crossbow but when i hit something I was aiming at or have a one inch group it just makes me feel awesome. Also around here it's just easier for me to find stuff for my compound we have a shop not to far away that sells anything you need they even can make custom arrows for yea and if they don't have it they can find it.

For younger shooters or people with physical problems I usually suggest a crossbow just because of how easy they are to use it's basically shooting a rifle.