Firearms Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recentley boight a used redhawk in .44 mag. The gun works fine except it shoots about 18" to the left at 50 yds. consistantly. I need to move the rear sight 1/10 " off the sight fixture to the right to get close to the bulls eye. What should I do? I,ve heard of canted barrels and front sights but can't tell which if either is happening here.

·
Banned
5,601 Posts
My friend George bought a Super Redhawk that did the same thing. Neither he nor I could hit anything with it, it shot far to the left and neither of us are that bad of shots. He mounted the scope rings, laid in a piece of copper pipe that fit them, and discovered that the barrel was pointed off to the left about 1/2" in the 7 1/2" length of the barrel. Called Ruger, they said it was within spec. Sent them a picture and asked if they wanted it displayed at gun shows as an example of their workmanship, they replaced it. This was 10-12 years ago. I have since, when looking at a used Ruger, noted the position of the rear sight, and if it's all the way to the right I pass on the gun. And you see it more often than you would expect.

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Ruger, like every other manufacturer of a precision instrument can goof on occasion. The real test of a company is how they deal with the problem. If that is w/in specs, I would hate to see the specs. Smith and Wesson has made some pretty major screw ups over the years but have always promptly fixed or replaced the problem gun.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Ruger Barrels??

My friend George bought a Super Redhawk that did the same thing. Neither he nor I could hit anything with it, it shot far to the left and neither of us are that bad of shots. He mounted the scope rings, laid in a piece of copper pipe that fit them, and discovered that the barrel was pointed off to the left about 1/2" in the 7 1/2" length of the barrel. Called Ruger, they said it was within spec. Sent them a picture and asked if they wanted it displayed at gun shows as an example of their workmanship, they replaced it. This was 10-12 years ago. I have since, when looking at a used Ruger, noted the position of the rear sight, and if it's all the way to the right I pass on the gun. And you see it more often than you would expect.
This quite likely may be the MOST informative post to me since I've been here. I too own a SuperRedHawk (9 1/2") It too shoots way too far to the left. I have aimed right with this weapon for awhile(??) to hit my target. Will try the "Pipe Trick" this weekend, and see what I have. Thanks for the info!!:D:D

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Get in Ruger's face!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts