Crono

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by jwjessup, Feb 28, 2013.

1. jwjessup

jwjessup New Member

I'm looking for a good inexpensive crono any suggestions?

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess I'll never understand why folks keep on trying to use "good" and "cheap" in the same description.

Look at www.cabelas.com

3. jwjessup

jwjessup New Member

Thanks for the link. Sorry what I should have said was economical.

4. locutus

:D:D You're forgiven!:D:D

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I had a Chrony for many years. It was cheap and always seemed to work fine.

6. kingrider

kingrider New Member

I had a good one, right up until the moment I sent a 20 caliber bullet through it at about 4000 fps!!! Which ever brand you choose, just remember to take your time setting up. U don't get many second chances lol.

7. jwjessup

jwjessup New Member

Lol that sucks man thanks for the info.

8. locutus

I have an Oehler model 33. Good as it gets.:)

9. jwjessup

jwjessup New Member

How much do they normally run.

10. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Thought I was the only one that did stuff like that!!! Years ago I hit mine with a 200 or 240 grain( don't remember which) 44 mag !!! Never replaced it but I have been looking at them again.

11. locutus

The Oehler was aroun $375, IIRC, probably 25 years ago.

Don't know if they still make them.

The newer model 35P lists for $575 complete.

www.oehler-research.com

12. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

I have one of these:

[​IMG]

Had it for about 10 years works great - simple and accurate.

13. kingrider

kingrider New Member

It was embarrassing to say the least lol. I was in a hurry trying to beat night fall when I did mine. The worst part was it was the last shot in the string when it happened. I played it off pretty cool in front of the other people at the range, I jumped up off the bench and said "that piece of crap has given me its last false reading" lol.

14. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

From passed experience and no better than I shoot sometimes I am waiting on the bullet proof model to come out!!!LOL

15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I had an Oehler loaned it to a fellow. The SOB moved to California I never saw it again.:(

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I would've had to take a road trip,and then some batting practice on him when I arrived!
    The only good thief is one in critical condition.;)

18. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Pact here.......

Its been OK.Not their Proffesional model.It does have the ballistic computer,think their "pro" model has 3 screens?

We had some serious issues using it indoors.Finally got it working utilizing emergency lights.These are those battery power'd lites you see in commercial buildings.They're hard wired in to keep battery's charged....when power goes out ,these come on.

There were problems with the fluorescent lighting we had.....its a "flicker" thing that was confusing the chrono.But that problem was on me,should've asked more questions when buying....duh.Chased my tail a bit but got it figured out.There was one other minor detail with screen cables....Pact did a very respectable job clearing up the hick-ups.

If I was buying one today.....would still look at the Pact,but would look at the Oehler a little more seriously.There was a significant price difference at the time(20+years ago).But would have a real heart to heart talk with both co's.....outlining EXACTLY what was required and then decide based on their discussion/responses......moreso than price.

19. locutus

Whatever you get, make sure the computer unit is separate from the screens, and not in the line of fire.

And get a 3 screen unit.