Critique my bug out bag!

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by beastmode986, Oct 11, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_BRSCKNNfs[/ame]

What do you guys think? What should I add take out or replace???

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Good for u lad!

More food -- find protein bars at supermarket or chain drugstores when they're ON SALE. You want them to be about 30% calories from protein. Understand and plan your calories. They get mushy in heat but you are woefully low in food. And don't cook in those plastic-spray-lined tin cans -- yuck.

Warmth? I do like the new breathable waterproof bivvy bag but they are pricey. Think of them as a super light and compact sleeping bag and tent for $50.

Underwear.

A little bar of soap. And learn the George Carlin joke about what to wash.

Pencil and paper?

How about a sheath for that machete!!! Or dump it.

That's off the top of my head...

3. BullDozer

BullDozer New Member

Love it. Are you a prepper? I happen to be one myself and yours is better than mine but mine is a meetup bag to get to my shelter my group had put together.

4. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Yes I am but I'm just starting out, only have 2 weeks of food and water. What should I replace the coffee cans with? I heard there fine to use to cook with. I'll be adding wool socks soon as well. I'll also be adding soap soon. I also recently got a thermos brand insulated aluminum water bottle.

5. BullDozer

BullDozer New Member

I am starting too, it'll be an adventure! What state ate you in?

6. Thr33FiftyS3v3n

Thr33FiftyS3v3n New Member

Ill think if some more but I don't think I saw any gloves. Correct me if im wrong though.

7. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

For all the starting prepers, check this out:

www.beerbudgetsurvival.com

The site was constructed by and is maintained by my brother so any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated.

8. Mason609

Mason609 New Member

Looks pretty good for a starter bag.

HockaLouis made some very good points.

I do have a few suggestions of my own...

The TP you have (not in the coffee tin) should be in a waterproof bag (maybe a Ziploc), same with the socks. You might also want to add a change of clothes (pants, shirt, undies).

Those candles - are they emergency or tea light?

Also, didn't notice a first aid kit.

So far, I'd have to say good start. Keep working on it.

Also, take all of this stuff and go camping with it (and not in perfect weather, either - though, don't do anything to endanger yourself). Use it - to make sure you know HOW to use it, and that it does actually work for what you want it to do.

9. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

You are missing a couple necessities.

No not a gun!!

Baby wipes, sunscreen, and a jungle hat that you can just roll up.

They make sunscreen with bug repellant in it, so you can keep to one bottle .

How about a paracord bracelet or 4. They become the rope you need when you need it. http://www.amazon.com/Para-Cord-Sur...=1350024812&sr=8-1&keywords=paracord+bracelet

Keep up the great work and the 10/22 is an awesome choice. Or an AR-7

10. undumb

undumb New Member

Congratulations, you are two steps ahead of 99.9% of the population.
    I have to agree with the previous comment about more food. Lots more food! This bag should sustain you for 72 hours. More water too.
    I made the investment in a food-saver vacuum system( worth every penny) I have everything individually vac-packed.
    Might I suggest a field manual to help you identify potential resources. Also a map and compass. My list could go on and on. Just keep in mind that everything should multi-task.
    You have a great start here, my BOB weighs about 45lbs, I carry the majority of the gear, my wife's weighs about 25lbs.

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Hey, u said u were getting a 10/22. FIne arm. Maybe u could get that take-down 10/22 in S/S!? Should last a lifetime and probably hold you over on the gun side for emergencies (a .22 LR being better than nothing) for many years to come lad.

12. shadamai

shadamai New Member

Maybe have some things in ziplock bags; I have a 'get home' bag and most of the things in it are in plastic ziplock bags just in case things get wet. Also, just as a note, those little candles should be in a bag too if your bag might be out in the sun or in a car, etc. I had some in my bag and they melted like crazy in the trunk; fortunately they were in a ziplock too or I would have a lot of ruined stuff. The other comments about having extra clothing items are good; I keep a dry spare outfit with underwear, socks, hat, gloves in my bag.

13. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I agree. Everything in my daypack, backpack and BOB are in heavy duty Ziploc freezer bags. This not only protects the contents from moisture it also helps organize things in an easy to find manner.

14. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Sadly, Illinois.

15. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

16. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Since the 10/22 would be part of my bug out kit, I would need to maintain it so wouldn't a maintenance kit be in order? What should it include?

17. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I like the take down but it's less customizable isn't it? And will the stainless steel 10/22s last longer than the blued version? I was planning on getting a 10/22 stainless steel version and a folding stock. Not saying I don't want a take down but I would be a little hesitant. However I do love the ability to break it down and it's easier to clean the barrel!

18. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Also I'm ordering from amazon soon, so far im getting a low cost flashlight to add to my small collection, 50ft of 550 cord,emergency blanket, my total is 13.50 and I need to spend 25$ to get free shipping on some stuff. What else do you guys think I should get?

19. undumb

undumb New Member

Mirror, zip ties, super glue, magnifying glass, water filter straw, coffee filters, sterno-fuel, carabiners....

20. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012