Criteria for SHTF Guns....

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Trez, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Ok, I know there have been threads like this before, but, they have focused more on the gun.. Im interested in what criteria you use to choose that gun, ie,. Is it the one your most proficient with? Type of action used? Availability of ammo in a SHTF situation? What others in your group will be carrying? The "look" of the gun? (Some want the tactical look to be "scary", others want a "normal" looking gun so they arent so threatening looking and kinda "blend in".)
    So whats important when choosing a SHTF gun?

I ask because I want a M1 Garand to be my SHTF gun.. But my buddy made a good point with my SKS.. He has a mini-30 so we could "share" ammo.. and more people in our area have guns that shoot 7.62x39 over .30-06 so the ammo would be easier to find and to use in a group setting...

My main plain is to bug in, but just in case I have to leave.. I dont want to be stuck at my safe deciding what to grab...

2. bkt

bkt New Member

The group of friends and I all use 5.56, .30-06, .22lr and 12ga. There's a mix of handgun rounds, .308 and .50 in there, too. But we have a good supply of ammo we can all use as well as spare parts for common guns.

The Garand is a very fine rifle (I just got one myself), but the 8 round clip could be limiting and it's heavy. So's the ammo. Everything's a trade-off, I guess. I'm not sure what a SHTF gun is. In a SHTF situation, you want as many options as possible and having a bunch of guns and ammo makes the most sense. If you mean you'll be on foot, that's a different story. I'd probably go for my AR in that case just for weight considerations, mag capacity, and availability of ammo. My Garand would not be my first choice.

3. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I look at in terms of use. Personal defense is a pistol. I prefer a high capacity semi auto for that. Home defense can be the pistol, short barreled shotgun, 30-30 lever gun, or an AR. If an overwatch is called for then a precision rifle with a good scope is my choice. In any case a good supply of ammunition, cleaning materials, and spare parts and magazines is a good idea.

This is all in terms of staying put where I am. If a person was to be moving by foot they are in a disadvantage in the number of weapons they can carry as well as the ammo for them.

4. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Something in 22 LR. There is a billion rounds available and the round will allow you to take small game and still keep bad folks at bay. A bolt action is simple and reliable.

So my criteria are

• Abundant ammo
      Simple reliable action
      not too heavy
      handgun and long gun can shoot same ammo

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  5. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

A variety of guns is best at home or a defensive location, but I have no idea what one gun I would go with on foot? I've been struggling with that one for awhile. I would definitely be standing in front my cabinet scratching my head. I get a headache every time I think about it. There are just to many unknown factors. A semi auto center fire with extra mags would be the way to go if a serious defensive weapon were needed. A .22lr would be ideal for small game. A good tack driving bolt action for long range, dependability, and general use. The best gun would depend on what situation you ended up in, but I have no idea what that situation would be?

In your particular situation, if your buddy has something for up close defense, you might want to think about long range precision? A nice tack driving bolt action would add extra capabilities to your group. At the same time, you might need all the rapid fire power you can get to go with your buddies mini? It all depends on the situation, and that's the one thing none of us are sure about. Also keep in mind with a battle rifle like the Garand, the troops that used them had supply lines. You won't. Good thread.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I would pack my Mini-14. I have tons of ammo for it and it is readily available if I am on foot. The 10-22 would be another good choice, its a tack driver, light and the ammo is very light, lethal, and even more readily available. Plus I have a couple of handguns in.22 lr that would use the same ammo.

7. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

That's the direction I'm leaning towards. The three I have the hardest time choosing between are my Mini-14, 10/22, and Savage bolt action 22mag. Ammo is lighter for all three than for a battle rifle or shotgun, and so I could carry a lot of it. The Savage would be the best for hunting and the Mini would be the best defensive weapon. The 10/22 would be the best for small game and still offer plenty of shots for defense. I'm getting a headache again. :eek:

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I will have to change my choices. I have two teenage boys so we could pack a long gun and a handgun each. The Mini14 would go, with ammo. One of the boys would have the 10/22 and the other would have his Marlin 795. That is if we were to leave and go anywhere (unlikely to happen.)

9. Seven

Seven New Member

• ^that

After years of rotating guns around, I've settled on a Glock G19, a Remington 870, and a BCM AR.

10. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

My .02....

It depends on what you mean by SHTF...this could mean a lot of very different, very plausible scenarios. For example, my SHTF gun that I would use most in an economic collapse, would greatly differ from say, a public roundup, "Wolverines" style defense. The decision to stay, or bug out makes the world of difference as well. For example, I moved from a town to the country recently, and that alone has caused me to favor the FN-FAL over a yugo Ak-47 underfolder. If I had to "bug out" I would probably revert back to the AK, for the ability to carry more ammo, and the ability to more easily maneuver in and out of cars, and tight urban spaces.
    If it were an economic collapse, a .22 with subsonic ammo will get me lots of edible small game, without alerting the world that someone is in the woods, shooting. And for that matter, a compound bow can net deer and larger game with no one the wiser. What if food was scarce and/or unafordable, would you obey game laws against shooting deer at night? Would you be worried about nosy neighbors? Maybe a bow would be better. These are things I consider in my decision.

I guess I could've just said, buy as much guns and ammo as possible , and choose the best one suited to the situation at hand.

11. spack762

spack762 New Member

The most important thing for me is reliabilaty, durability. Nothin bets an AK-47. But once you choose your rifle be sure to practice and train with it, and all your guns. Me and my group got airsoft guns to match are real ones, then we practice/play in the area we'd most likely be in when SHTF.

12. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

7.62x39 would be a great round for a SHTF situation in my opinion. The ability to penetrate a vehicle / glass / wood and still have enough mass and energy to do some damage is a plus, not counting the .50BMG (too heavy, limited ammo, mostly long range). A .223 could do it, but it's so light it would probably lose a lot of energy upon penetration of a hard object.

13. AZL

AZL New Member

Glock 17 and 22 (three of each) ~ There are three members in my IMMEDIATE family, thus as 40 is the MOST popular caliber among police officers, it stands to reason that one will have the best chance of scrounging it, followed by 9mm.

Smith & Wesson Model 586/686 4 or 6 inch 357 revolvers (Three of them, reason stated above) The L Frame Magnum is hardier than the beloved K Frame, and will shoot 38 as well as 357 ammo with aplomb, and 38 and 357 OUGHT to be fairly easy to scrounge as well as being capable of being loaded with BLACK POWDER in a pinch.

.22lr pistols and or revolvers No need to explain further.

The above mentioned handguns are already in and separate from my other everyday shooting and carrying guns...there and ready of needed in a B-O-B along with NEW magazines, spring kits, various parts, tools.

Long Guns:

Remington Model 700 .308 and Winchester Model 70 .308, set up for long range tactical (hate that word) use.

M4 for everyone in the house

Ruger 10/22 for everyone in the house.

Remington 870 in 12 gauge for everyone in the house.

Rossi and Marlin lever action .357 carbines (one for each family member)

20/16/and 410 gauge shotguns are also present but not considered CRITICAL gear....just good to have for the ammo scrounging reasons already stated.

NOW...y'all may laugh but I feel the next short list of guns us ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to anyone who is truly prepared:

1860 Colt (Uberti) .44 Caliber black powder revolvers (2 each for the family)
    CVA .50 Caliber Hawken rifles

In the area where I live...you can find ALL YOU NEED to make your own black powder. With a simple hand coffee grinder, you can mix it quite effectively. I know this because I have done it and experimented with it.

What happens when you are out of ammo? Out of components for reloading? Out of luck?

I'd rather have a charcoal burner that will still shoot than nothing.

You MAY find a cache of ammo for your other stuff somewhere...but isn't it comforting to know you can still shoot them zombies with "archaic" guns that go BANG when you need them to? They are also VERY reasonably priced to purchase, not considered "firearms" by dot.gov and even many gun enthusiasts don't know how to load one. I may be wrong, but save some time and assume I am right.

My 7 year old knows how to load and shoot "her" Navy Six's. She also has a .45 Caliber Hawken by CVA that I cut down to fit her.

14. mcb

mcb New Member

What happens with the cap and ball revolvers when you run out of caps

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

Make your own. You can make your own powder too. And your own bullets. The recipes for powder and caps can be found online. I've printed several and keep them in hardcopy.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  16. ANGRYcanary

ANGRYcanary New Member

As for myself, family, and friends, we all sort of stay with the same ammo groups:
    small game and light work, .22 tons of ammo and parts.
    .223 mini 14's and ARs. lots of ammo and reloading supplies.
    .308 ARs and bolt rifles with lots of ammo and reloading supplies.
    Pistols are all .357, .45, and .22 with plenty of reloading supplies and ammo.

17. mcb

mcb New Member

Interesting thanks for the info.

18. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

When the shtf my initial reaction is to get ammo. The problem with that idea is that everyone else shares it. The ammo drought of '09 is a good example. All of the common calibers were sold out with only the oddball calibers remaining. The only exception was 12 & 410 gauge. That's why I packed a Judge & bp revolver. Of course I'd recommend stocking up on ammo now.

19. ANGRYcanary

ANGRYcanary New Member

YES...! Exactly..! Now I'll just be Reloading (a new hobby) and Buying lots of ammo, and just have the ammo the three of us need. All the friends and family in the network will swap round for round if need be.

20. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i like my mossberg 12 guage can shoot birds/deer/ Buckshot is good defence round and i got 22. small game i just got a 22.magnum great gun more power than a 22. but ammo more expensive and i cant find it in bulk but they call it the poachers gun