Crimping 30-30 cartridges

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by TINCANBANDIT, Feb 20, 2014.

1. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

should you crimp 30-30 Winchester cartridges? The bullets have cannelures and the bullets seated so easily I am a little worried about the bullets sinking in or coming out of the cases.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes.

But I need at least 10 letters to say yes.

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Yes !...................

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i crimp mine. i crimp just about all my ammo now.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Yes

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You should always crimp any ammo that will be used in a tube magazine. Otherwise the bullets will be shifted in the case under recoil. That can make for a bad day at the range, one way or the other.

I believe that every reloading manual out there states this rule in one way or another.

7. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

Yes. A stout crimp is needed for cartridges loaded in a tubular magazine. Otherwise, upon recoil, the impact of the forward cartridge upon firing will drive the rear projectile deeper into its case.

8. BK3220

BK3220 Member Lifetime Supporter

yes I use a lee factory crimp die for pistol loads and rifle loads that will be used in tube magazines. It's one more step in the reloading process, but it is more forgiving on case length than the roll crimp on the seating die.

9. string1946

string1946 New Member

One more yes. I really like the looks of the crimp made by the Lee factory crimp die. btw welcome back Anna.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Thank you String :)

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

do NOT crimp smaller than the diameter of the cannelure. If you crush the case mouth into the jacket you can end up worse than not crimping at all.

Non cannelured bullets shouldn't be roll crimped at all.

How I do it: I measure the cannelure measure the diameter of the bullet get the difference. That is the max value between an uncrimped case mouth and a crimped one. It doesn't take a lot of crimp.

12. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

yes or you will be sorry