Criminals keep guns, Farmers have them taken away

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by danf_fl, Aug 22, 2012.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

2. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

That's because the government is corrupt. Drug trade brings them money. As is the case with many Central/south american countries.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

When I think of the US and how they could try this tactic here......

Oh yeah, Chicago is doing that now.

4. bigjim

bigjim New Member

What part of the 1,800's American History did you miss? The resettlement of Native Ameicans and the taking of their lands?,( SD, OH, ND, SD and MT), the taking of FL from Spain? The civil war and reconstruction?, the war with Mexico and the taking of their land?(CA, NM, AZ, NV) The Spanish American war? (where do you think Puerto Rico came from?) And iet us not forget our Texas friends, they would be upset. Remember the Alamo (that rocks)

NO, we would never do anything like that, (LOL) ya right.
    Jim

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  5. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Although I agree with you, your history is a bit off.

You forgot the trail of tears from Southeast US to Oklahoma.

As for taking land from Mexico, that is just incorrect. Those territories were conceeded after the Mexican War under the treaty of Guadalupe Hidago(sp). Then we even paid the Mexican Government for the land when no payment was part of the treaty.

6. bigjim

bigjim New Member

A treaty at gun point is not a treaty, if our troups weren't in Mexico City at the time, there would be no treaty. Forgive me I left my Financial Times at home, how much did we pay per million acres?

Jim

7. downsouth

downsouth New Member

How else does a treaty to end a war happen? US paid 15 million dollars for the Mexican territory that held less than 1% of the countries population. Alot of those people wanted American or British rule.

8. bigjim

bigjim New Member

I can't blame them for wanting that considering what they had at the time. But as to the $15,000,000 it is a drop in the bucket when you consider the amount of Gold that was taken out of CA, the Copper from AZ, the salt from UT, the urainum from NM, the coal deposits in AZ, CO and UT. And lets not forget the oil resurves.

The point is that all this land including the eastern sea board of the US were taken at the point of a gun. So let's not be the pot calling the kettle black when talking about what other countries are doing.

Jim

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

America certainly has our past indiscretions however, until recently, the end result of these land grabs was the expansion of liberty because our constitution afforded far more freedom than Mexicos, Frances, Spains or Englands.

Many of our early policies on expansion and settlement were brutal bit our founders understood that we could not grow and prosper unfettered with European Super Powers amongst. Those wo could be bought out were, those who could not be bought were forced.

Negotiation OR force are the only two methods of resolving conflict and even having Native American Lineage does not give me pause or make me question the expansion and settlement of the North American Continent because despite it's atrocities it also paved the way for the greatest force of liberty the world has yet to see.

We are the Shining City on a Hill. We are the Modern Roman Empire.

...and we are grateful there will always be enough of us to ensure it endures with our readiness to stand and defend it from all enemies...be they foreign OR domestic.

Tack

10. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Tack, while I like your resolve and praise you patriotism, there are just not enough of us left. With over 1 billion muslims and over 4 billion Chiniese and two billion in India, we are just out numbered. Todays wars are fought with dollars and we are loosing. We no longer have the resovle to expend our loved ones in battles that we will lose, unless directly attached we will stand off and try to buy our way out of trouble. Not something to be proud of, but true. The Roman Empire is a bad example to follow, they were brutal, self serving, corrupt, POS that would send in the troops and kill every man, woman and child into a city for even one roman citizen being killed by accident. If you wheren't killed you were sold into slavery. Just not my type of people, I am glad they are gone.

Jim

11. downsouth

downsouth New Member

The US has also liberated whole continents at the end of a gun loosing sons,daughters and treasure.

12. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Yep, and brothers, fathers and uncles. If you watch British TV you would think they won it all by themselves. We should have kept the spoils of war, but now I have to buy German, French, Swedish and Japanise cars. And everything else made in China. We did win it didn't we?

At least the Russians are not trying to sell us their cars (LOL). Just all of their old rifles. (LOL)

Jim

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Your history is waaaaay off. But ill just speak about texas for now.

The texas territory was considered uninhabitable by the mexican government. Too harsh too many indians too dangerous. They couldnt get any mexican citizens to tame it. The mexican govt advertised to people in the united states looking for settlers. They gave each as much land as they could manage.

The texas settlers came in made peace with the indians tamed the land figured out how to farm and ranch it and started making in todays terms millions of dollars. The mexican government felt that since the land was settled tamed etc it was time to take it back and force the now mexican citizens (former us citizens) off the land for their "own people". The new "Texans" pretty much said FU to mexico we built this not you and succeeded
    From mexico starting the texas revolution.

The united states didnt "steal" texas from anyone, texas was the only foreign soveriegn nation to become a state and entered the union through a treaty.

14. bigjim

bigjim New Member

If I understand you correctly, the US did not steal Texas, but American's that went there did steal it from the Mexican government? Your ancestors must have had a problem with being governed by anyone, because if memory serves me right, your ancestors then left the US and joined the CSA. Then under arms had to be forced back under the US government authority. Does that mean the US stole Texas from the Texans?

As far as treaties go, it became null and void when the Texans became Trators by trying to overthrow the US government rule in Texas.

Jim

15. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Jon, what part?

Jim

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That's not how I read it at all. Confused

17. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Is that any different to Hollywood re- inventing american history and claiming others accomplishments as their own!!! Pot/kettle anyone?

18. MarkAD

MarkAD New Member

How ignorant is this. Much of the east coast waas obtained by trading with the native americans.

19. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The people that settled Texas may have come from America, but they weren't Americans by the time that war broke out. They were Texans. They fought that war for THEMSELVES. Volunteers came from all over North America, but they fought for the independence of Texas, not to steal it for the USA. Texas was it's OWN nation for several years before WE decided to join the US, and even then it took time for them to let us join.

Yeah, Texas basically gave America the middle finger then it joined the CSA, but we were not forced back into statehood. Texas did not rejoin the Union until 1870. 5 years after the end of the Civil War. The southern states had to meet certain requirements to rejoin the Union after the Civil War. Several states refused to meet these requirements until several years after the war ended. Texas was one of these states. We were NOT forced back into the Union.

As far as overthrowing US rule in Texas, secession was LEGAL back then, and it is still legal now in the State of Texas. If we want to leave the Union today, we can.

Please try to get your history straight before throwing out statements.

Thank you. :)

20. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ New Member

Texas also had an embassy in London, England. Today, there's a Tex-Mex restaurant in London called "The Texas Embassy" near the old embassy building.