Cricket 22 for survival

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by bwalka, Feb 14, 2012.

1. bwalka

bwalka New Member

As anyone else everythough about buying a cheap 22 like a cricket or a mossberg 702 with a hollow synthetic stock so you can put survival supplies in the stock. I thought about getting one and doing it with an emergency blanket some shells a mag if it's the mossberg some water proof matches and fishing gear just various survival stuff. Any thoughts on this

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've thought about it several times. The only thing is, there already is a survival .22 that breaks down and the entire barrel and everything stores in the butt stock, with a little room left over for the type of items your talking about. Plus, it opens up much easier than having to use a screw driver to remove a butt plate/pad.

3. bwalka

bwalka New Member

That's the thing the gun your talking about has no space left for items. The Henry has to have a screw driver to undo butt to. Just a quick thought. Thinking about trying it only problem is making a paracord strap. it's hard enough for me to make the bracelets. The strap could hold all kinds of things inter twined like knife with sheath like a neck or divers knife. Shell holders. You could also use a Rossi single shot shotgun or rifle. Like matched pair. You can get them in all kinds of calibers

4. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I've thought about a cricket as well, plus if you want there's a kit you can buy that brings the weight all the way down to under a pound. Like 15oz. Its a little spendy but it turns it into an ultra lightweight compact backpacking critter getter. Looks like this,I can get the link if your interested. Its almost ideal if weight and size are of the utmost importance to you

prk1.jpg

The stock unscrews And you can turn it around and screw it back tight under the barrel

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

But does it come in .22 Mag is the real question.

6. bwalka

bwalka New Member

U can get on I think in 22 mag

7. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The survival arm of choice? It all depends, Urban or Wilderness? The small light .22s are more of an Urban choice. I served 3 years on a Vol. High Country search and Rescue Unit. This was in some of the most rugged country in the nation. I don't recall every finding anyone who had a special survival firearm. I do recall that the only weapon most survivors had were their handguns. After a fall and lack of food and water extreme cold most had lost thier long arms. The handgun tied to the body most often served to protect thru the long nights when the bears and big cats were on the hunt. A proper handgun for your area in a strong belt and holster rig works.:)

8. bwalka

bwalka New Member

1911 for survival hand gun

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Titaniumgoat.com seems to be out of business for those Cricket stocks which include a carbon-fiber replacement barrel.

10. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

http://www.rutalocura.com/PRK.html

11. bwalka

bwalka New Member

I think a stock cricket will work better holds more in stock

12. PSmitty1

PSmitty1 New Member

Take a look at the Marlin Papoose.

13. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Well the tubular stock on the pack rifle kit is indeed hollow,but is suppose to be a ultra lightweight ultra compact design for backpacking. It would serve my purposes better than a stock cricket due to packability and the adavantage of the low weight,and that the spaced and weight saved by getting rid of the factory stock and barrel would allow for more storage than the factory stock. Just my opinuon,but as always YMMV.

14. bwalka

bwalka New Member

But that is a sweet kit

15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I Broke Down and Bought a Break Down

Thanks for the info JStrong. At this point I finally broke down and ordered that Cricket-based Ruta Locura Pack Rifle Kit. I know, I KNOW! It gets worse -- I ordered their sling and case too. Maybe it'll only be a collectible someday, but...

I am a fan of the underated .22 Mag and the kit is, indeed, available in that chambering (even more pricey than the .22 was). But I'm the guy who bought one of the first North American Arms Mini-Masters (went back for early machining/QC failures) for backpacking. And I was the first to have these 4" barreled/5-shot/adjustable sight/11 oz. stainless .22 Magnum-frame revolvers customized by them for a fluted 22 LR cylinder as well and wrote about it at the time. Today, convertible options are standard. Anyway...

The things that put me over-the-top on the PRK at this time were the fact that the seller is out of stock on the .22 LR version and I had the cash for the other. Next, I just called my regular gun guy and ordered the least expensive .22 Mag Cricket, hopefully something ugly on sale as not caring what the stock looks like, that he could find for me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  16. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends on what sort of survival your talking about.

17. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Let me know how that kit setup works out,I'd love to hear firsthand what someone who actually has it thinks of it.ive been flirting with the idea of going that route for a while now for a pack rifle. A good review may send me over the edge

18. cvtk

cvtk New Member

I have a cricket for my 7 year old son. It is compact. The short barrel and stock combinations makes it weird to shoot as an adult. It only shoots one round at a time and is not fast to reload. Simple design but not well built. Not my choice for survival.

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Any gun is ideal. Meaning a gun versus no gun. A Cricket would be just perfect, you can get game with it, ammo is cheap and doesn't weigh much. Beats the crap out of a sharp stick in a fair fight.

20. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I small light weight .22 is better than no .22 but if I had to depend on a .22 for survival I would want the best I could get. That means long barrel, accurate, detachable scope, and good iron sights. I would really hate to think I was going to depend on a cricket, but again that would be better than nothing (assuming it will shoot decent groups).