Firearms Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are probably scary (usually lonely or remote) places in this world you'd like to carry and have at least one big dog to boot. Dark woods. Old run-down houses. Big dark buildings. Dark nighttime city parks. Dark alleys.

What are some scary places for you that you would like a certain degree of security to ease you mind?

Think of scary places you'd love to have a big German shepherd or two. Or maybe you prefer Dobermans, mastiffs or even big Labrador retrievers.

Think of the 1981 film "Wolfen". Think of the south Bronx ruins of New York City. One man in one dark condemned building and the other in the other. Only connected by two-way walkie-talkie. A police stakeout for someone (or something) killing people. I can imagine myself only brave enough to walk into such a building without a human partner by my side like that with preferably two such police dogs by me and a drawn handgun to boot. That rifle with a night scope is stupid for those conditions. You need a pistol that is fast and wielding in the tight confines of an old building. Even a police shotgun is more sensible. A police dog will warn you and watch your back if you are sitting by the window like that black man in the film. If not wolves, there are other things that can jump you in that situation.

I want the likes of this big boy by me in scary places to keep any "big bads" or "boogiemen" at bay:

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flint Michigan, much of Baltimore and South Central L.A. come to mind.
Dark creepy places there?

In the army I had to go check a large helicopter hangar at night. It was dark and silent as the grave. I remembered all those horror films I used to watch. There were dark hallways inside. All I had was a flashlight. No weapon, no buddy and no dog.

Another time, a woman army sergeant, the CQ, had me check an unoccupied barracks building at night because it gave her the creeps to go there all alone! Again all I had was a flashlight and no weapon, buddy or dog.

On maneuvers, soldiers often do guard duty at remote locations at the edge of the perimeter in the woods with no ammo in their rifles, no security dogs and no buddies. This is especially creepy at night. There are wild animals out there. I would hear coyotes howl at night in some places. One time I saw a tall dark object move in the woods and found out shortly afterward it was only a tree in the wind. I thought about that Bigfoot film I saw years earlier on.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
There was some dark timber i found in the Wind Rivers once. I was peeling out of my skin for weeks after i got out of there. Three days walking awake felt like just before you go to sleep when you are paralyzed and the shadows swallow you up.
I wasnt right for a while after that. I wont go into detail, but suffice to say even 25 years later i dont want to talk about it too much for fear of my mind taking me back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anytime I leave the confines of my domicile.
Inside the house, a 6# Chihuahua and a 85#, chunk of lead, bulldog. Out back is a 98# Labrador. Nobody enters the yard, that I don't know about. 1911 and 3 mags, always within reach.

Some bad, scary places out there. Danger can happen ANYWHERE.

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The White House strikes me as a pretty creepy place right now.
Not that I care to ever visit there. I'd rather be in the woods of the American West with a .357 and two big pooches. At least one big dog out of doors, or on the streets in town, is a great deterrent to dangerous creatures, two or four legs. Being alone in dark/remote places even with a gun and nobody else for company still creeps me out. I always felt safe in the woods at night with my two Labs nearby and a handgun.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You blokes would leave a rather large smelly deposit in your pants if hear one of our Curlews at night out in the scrub. They're an Aussie bird that has a call that sounds like some poor bugger getting his throat cut and letting out a scream.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
There are probably scary (usually lonely or remote) places in this world you'd like to carry and have at least one big dog to boot. Dark woods. Old run-down houses. Big dark buildings. Dark nighttime city parks. Dark alleys.

What are some scary places for you that you would like a certain degree of security to ease you mind?

Think of scary places you'd love to have a big German shepherd or two. Or maybe you prefer Dobermans, mastiffs or even big Labrador retrievers.

Think of the 1981 film "Wolfen". Think of the south Bronx ruins of New York City. One man in one dark condemned building and the other in the other. Only connected by two-way walkie-talkie. A police stakeout for someone (or something) killing people. I can imagine myself only brave enough to walk into such a building without a human partner by my side like that with preferably two such police dogs by me and a drawn handgun to boot. That rifle with a night scope is stupid for those conditions. You need a pistol that is fast and wielding in the tight confines of an old building. Even a police shotgun is more sensible. A police dog will warn you and watch your back if you are sitting by the window like that black man in the film. If not wolves, there are other things that can jump you in that situation.

I want the likes of this big boy by me in scary places to keep any "big bads" or "boogiemen" at bay:

View attachment 240925
Wow! You are way too fearful. Maybe you should back off the movies a bit. Bad things can happen in the seemingly most relaxed and comfortable places, but you can’t live your life fearful of them or too creeped out to go places and do things.
I carry all the time when I am out away from the house, but I strive to pay attention to what is happening around me as well as who is around me. In the woods is where I am often most relaxed, though I am armed then too. But I don’t recall being anywhere that was, as you say, “creepy.” Some places may have higher risk involved...but creepy? I guess there might have been a couple places in Louisiana years ago that may have qualified due to various snakes and reptiles making it undesirable at night because of reduced visibility. Back in the day, Watts did not seem like a safe place to hang out either...😳
Perimeter guard duty during Viet Nam conflict was interesting, especially at night...lots of snakes, sometimes enemy combatants too. Yeah, there was potential danger...need to be alert.
Creepy? Nah. If your mind isn’t clouded with movie scenes, the woods are far from creepy, they are amazing and full of life.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Anyplace in Washington D.C., Portland, Seattle, New York, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Kalifornia, South Bend Indiana, and of course, Chicago. Denver has become a creepy place and Boulder was lost long ago if it ever was a family friendly place. I dread the thought of going through Denver to get to the beautiful mountains nearby. The wife and I are trying to plan a getaway vacation and those places or anywhere near them are eliminated. You can throw in Austin, TX as well. The place has been Kalifornicated and it actually happened a long time ago. On second thought, there's no place like home, especially now. The demorats have messed up a lot of places.

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Wow! You are way too fearful. Maybe you should back off the movies a bit. Bad things can happen in the seemingly most relaxed and comfortable places, but you can’t live your life fearful of them or too creeped out to go places and do things.
I carry all the time when I am out away from the house, but I strive to pay attention to what is happening around me as well as who is around me. In the woods is where I am often most relaxed, though I am armed then too. But I don’t recall being anywhere that was, as you say, “creepy.” Some places may have higher risk involved...but creepy? I guess there might have been a couple places in Louisiana years ago that may have qualified due to various snakes and reptiles making it undesirable at night because of reduced visibility. Back in the day, Watts did not seem like a safe place to hang out either...😳
Perimeter guard duty during Viet Nam conflict was interesting, especially at night...lots of snakes, sometimes enemy combatants too. Yeah, there was potential danger...need to be alert.
Creepy? Nah. If your mind isn’t clouded with movie scenes, the woods are far from creepy, they are amazing and full of life.
What makes the woods, city parks, dark alleys and condemned building interiors creepy is that they are cover for things (bad people, bad animals) to hide behind. Some of that life they are full of can hurt a person. In Vietnam, a soldier certainly had something capable of shooting and hopefully snake-proof boots as well. As long as a big pooch or two of mine is with me, I never feel creeped out by the woods.

I would not be caught dead walking alone on this trail at night sans dog:

·
Registered
40 Posts
You blokes would leave a rather large smelly deposit in your pants if hear one of our Curlews at night out in the scrub. They're an Aussie bird that has a call that sounds like some poor bugger getting his throat cut and letting out a scream.
We were camped, in private campground, down on the Texas Gulf Coast. The campground owners had brought in peacocks, curlews, guineas and other critters, that wandered the grounds.

Just before dark, several birds flew into the tree beside Dad's RV. He said, " that is a funny looking bird. " I told him it was a curlew.

A few minutes later, Mom goes inside and is cleaning up.

Suddenly, this blood curling scream sounds out. Mom comes running out, almost ripping the door off.

We are laughing, asks her how she liked those curlews, now?

She threw rocks into the tree, until they all left.
Never stayed in that campground again. Went to the State Park, instead.

·
Premium Member
12,591 Posts
I honestly can not recall every being afraid of the boogey-man. If you carry yourself with calm confidence (not swagger) you are less likely to become a victim, and therefore have less to fear.

Some places certainly have the potential to be unsafe and I avoid them, I have worked in big cities, and sometimes my work required me to go into high-crime areas, so I put the 1911 on the seat beside me and did what I needed to do. My radar would spin at a high rate when in those places, but I was cautious, not afraid. There were places in Chicago that I simply would not go, for any reason, it wasn't fear, it was judgement. There were places in Miami where I would decide whether to stop and stand for a traffic light, based on who was hanging around on the corners; rather a ticket than a hijacking or mugging. My wife had to drive through a high-crime area on her way to work and we decided that if someone tried to impede her, for her to just run over them, and face the consequences later.

I got tired of having to watch my back 24/7/365 ,my last city living ended in 1993, and it convinced me to return to childhood country roots. Because of that, I made a lot less money, but lived a better life. In the country, we still have crack and meth heads who would rob their mothers for a dime, but it is easier to see them coming. When I am home, anyone within my sight is either a guest or a trespasser. With a good dog or two, nobody will ever sneak up on you. While I am aware, cautious, and always armed, I am quite comfortable in my surroundings.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Anyplace in Washington D.C., Portland, Seattle, New York, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Kalifornia, South Bend Indiana, and of course, Chicago. Denver has become a creepy place and Boulder was lost long ago if it ever was a family friendly place. I dread the thought of going through Denver to get to the beautiful mountains nearby. The wife and I are trying to plan a getaway vacation and those places or anywhere near them are eliminated. You can throw in Austin, TX as well. The place has been Kalifornicated and it actually happened a long time ago. On second thought, there's no place like home, especially now. The demorats have messed up a lot of places.
I guess I would use another adjective other than creepy. A lot of our cities have become dangerous places with criminal activity heightened to new extremes. I do agree that a lot of cities are just places I avoid if I have no need to be there, and I will intentionally plan my travels avoiding them too. They have become criminal cesspools mIs-governed by liberal fools. Creepy? Not to me, more like sad and dangerous.

·
Premium Member
12,591 Posts
I guess I would use another adjective other than creepy. A lot of our cities have become dangerous places with criminal activity heightened to new extremes. I do agree that a lot of cities are just places I avoid if I have no need to be there, and I will intentionally plan my travels avoiding them too. They have become criminal cesspools mIs-governed by liberal fools. Creepy? Not to me, more like sad and dangerous.
Well, since you bring it up, lets talk about some cities that have both Republican leadership and murder rates that are higher than Chicago. Jackson Ms., Baton Rouge, Little Rock, Cincinnati, Dayton, South Bend and Kansas City, to name a few, then try to figure out how to blame high murder rates on Democrats. Right wingers love to use Chicago as their whipping boy, but they aren't even in the top 30 cities for murder rates....put that in you pipe and smoke it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.