Creating your own first aid/survival kit

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by southpawgunner, Jul 15, 2013.

1. southpawgunner

southpawgunner New Member

I was just looking to create a first aid/survival kit. I believe it would be cheaper to create one rather than buying it. I could be wrong. If I make a kit or even just buy one, what are items that you would definitely make sure it includes?

2. unclebear

unclebear New Member

my first aid kit that I carry while camping hunting or hiking, has only a few things.

Duck Tape
    Cotton Balls
    120 proof shine
    Needle
    Fishing line

I ain't jokin this is seriously what I take, you'll probably have a different kit, I think it is cheaper plus you don't have to buy all the extra stuff you really don't use.

There are tons of things that can go into a kit depending on where your going and what your doing. I could probably carrying more but this is just general stuff.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

really either way. i would do asearch of the survivalist websites for ideas. look at what's available to see if any meet your needs first, if not, decide what you feel is important.

my needs may be totally different than others. i do keep a small first aid kit in all my vehicles and a larger one at the house. granted i can't do open heart surgery with any of them, but i should be able to handle most smaller injuries.

actually some pretty good questions though and hopefully this will open up some discussion that will enlighten us all.

4. southpawgunner

Thanks for the input! What's the shine for other than drinking purposes if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing used to clean wounds if need be? I may be totally off..

Matches in a waterproof case or a flint rock and striker is an item I would most definitely make sure I have. Along with a compass.

And I will add a first aid kit to my car, but Im also looking for a survival kit to put together for my car as well as at my house, which of course, would consist of more items.

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

In the Car(SUV) a Delux Kit, and several extras(like an emergency dental kit), In the house: an Emt kit that runs about $350...plus on the Bug/Bailout bag-2 IFAK's...Although i'm not a medical professional, I was a volunteer EMT many years ago,..and i once stayed in a Holiday Inn...;-)

6. DrFootball

But seriously,...Everyone should also have a camp Saw or "D" Saw,. and Axe or hatchet, and an assortment of "edged" Blades for various purposes...
    Our Ford Escape has a "Truck" bag with emergency response Gear, a well stocked medic's bag should include: many different sized bandages, Paper & Waterproof tape, Different sizes of Gauze pads, some sort of clotting agent bandage for serious bleeding, and some basic tools like forceps, tweezers and such...Please the Medical pros here fill out the list! I'm sure someone like SSGN_Doc will know a few things im missing at the moment..

7. spack762

spack762 New Member

My first aid kit and survival kit are two seprait kits. I carry both on me, plus bigger kits in my car and house. I just have a modified store bought first aid kit with me, some pain pill, extra band-aids and stuff. My bigger kits cover a wider range of problems beside minor cut, scraps, like major bleeding, broken bones, shock, and CPR. My survival kit is all personal assembled. I dont get to the woods as much as I would like. So my kit reflects that. I've seen some good store bought kits that would make a good place to start with, if you wanted to go that way. I'm retooling my kits this week, so I dont have a list of my kits, but when I'm done I can give you what I have in mine.

8. XCR-C

XCR-C New Member

For me i have a bit of a bigger subload butt pack i guess its called. But i have medical wise some peroxide, cotton swabs, cotton balls, matches, a multitool, salt/baking soda mix (for cleaning up and stopping blood) and some gun powder. Oh and some cotton cloth for bandages.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I have an entire field surgery kit.
    Strapped to the bottom of on bob.

10. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

You need for your B.O.B.....

In addition to what I have seen listed here; a good medium to large multitool (Leathermen makes a great one..), a lighter or fire starter, 50 to 100 ft of 550 paracord (7 strand type), vasaline, hand santizer, bug bit stick, sunscreen, at least one compass and at least one canteen (with metal cup) or water carrier, a frontier water filter straw or other small system and a shemagh or other square (about 46 x 46 inches) of cotton cloth and a pair of sturdy sunglasses or googles... and if you need, backup perscription glasses or specialty meds....
    For food I carry instant expresso, green tea, bullion cubes, raman noodles and two 2400 calorie ration bars. Here's a website that you might find helpful;
    http://beprepared.com/?sc=GOOGLE&oc=GOOG069005&gclid=COGfsYOntbgCFYmi4Aod-HMAcQ
    Good luck and safe trails.

11. txpossum

txpossum New Member

In addition to the usual first aid supplies, I also carry a couple of my home-made emergency dressing pack: A sanitary napkin, a length of duct tape, a razor blade, and a small pack of clotting agent. I put all four of these items in a zip lock baggie, and distribute a couple around my pack and/or bob where I can grab them quickly. The zip lock bag has the secondary use of covering a sucking chest wound.

12. southpawgunner

Thanks everyone for their input! I'm definitely going to grab a few items/ideas from each of the replies Given.

Would you guys recommend adding any canned foods in a kit or is that unnecessary? Because when done, the can can (no pun intended) be used as well.

I'm assuming high calorie bars are most suitable...

13. DrFootball

Add to the Medical Kit: today in Wally World I found a "First Aid Instruments" Kit & Bought 3!!($2.99 Ea.) 2 pr. of surgical gloves, 2 wood depressors, one tweezers, one forceps, one splinter remover, one surgical shears, storage case(waterproof)!!

14. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

IMHO canned goods add too much weight, but if you're talking about a can of tuna or sardines that you just can't be without.... and if you can find high calorie bars without paying too much... sure, why not. After all, it's your kit.
    I find the canteen cups (and I have two military style plastic canteens w/ covers & cups MOLLE'd to my pack) are about all I need when on the trail and camping... One for food, one for beverage.
    BTW... just a thought here... I recommend you get a medium sized pack that is hydration compatible for a water bladder. It's nice to have that convenience when hiking/stalking. I also forgot to add my recommendations of a whistle, emergency reflective blanket (or 2 or 3... they don't take up much space) and small mirror...
    Oh and good call on the maxi-pads TXPossum.... Other than the obvious reason, they make good compression bandages for the first aid kit.

15. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

You might want to consider some alcohol swabs or something else that cleans well and dries fast. People in early shock sweat like there is no tomorrow. I have seen cases where even duct tape won't stick. A small bottle of tincture of benzoin is also helpful. Lightly paint the skin and let it dry where you need the tape to stick.

Yes, in a pinch you can wrap tape completely around the wounded area and stick it to itself, but this is not the best way to do things. At a minimum it could hinder venous return.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I keep in mine a small bottle of 91% alcohol, small bottle of iodine , alcohol wipes , 5 feminine napkins , 5 Feminine plugs for puncture wounds , duct tape wrapped around a small wooden dowel , large rubber strapping , medical wrap , 3X3 gauze pads, typical bandaids in various sizes , bottle of super glue which works as well as sutures for small cuts , 4# test fishing line, dental floss and 2 small needle for larger sutures, 2 pks of clotting agent. I have these packed 2 to a vac pack Ibuprofen, Demerol, Flexeril , Aspirin, and anti diarrhea ., razor knife and forceps , couple pairs of latex gloves thats about it its all packed in a small medic pouch

Yes the super glue works , I did a damn good job of trying to cut off the end of my finger and put it back together and held it in place with super glue on the outside of the skin , no feeling in it but its still attached after 4 years ;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Good idea. I have them in my general first aid kit, but it would be easy to add an alcohol swab packet to the bag.

18. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Forgot this item...

This is one of the most important things I have not only in my B.O.B. .... but also in my house and both vehicles... a headlamp !!!
    I recommend the Princeston Tec brand... tough, small, made in the U.S., takes 3 AAA batteries (so carrying extras is no biggie) and bright as all getout!!
    Change a tire in the dark once, set up camp after the sun has gone down or go night fishing and you'll never be without one ever!!

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Yup beats the hell out of a hand held flashlight . I keep one in my truck and one in my kayak . Ever tried to paddle after dark with a flashlight in your hand , NOT FUN

20. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Plus it's always pointed to where you're looking.... Oh and I never go hiking/camping without baby wipes or wetnaps handy either....
    Headlamp or not, when nature calls in the middle of the woods, in the middle of the night, I don't like taking a chance on cleaning up with the wrong leaf (..know what I mean.. nudge nudge, wink wink.. say no more!!)...:eek: