Crazy gun ideas

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, Jul 3, 2011.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I was looking at some guns earlier on gunbroker and began thinking of crazy designs like mixing characteristics of different guns or having guns do something that no one would ever think of having it do and was wondering if anybody else had crazy gun ideas or have wanted a gun the just doesn't exist.:D

How cool would it be if there was a revolver (simular to a ruger blackhawk) that could fire 30-06 springfields?:eek:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I've dabbled in odd gun designs with drawings and trying to iron out kinks but I keep running into patent infringement problems since the best systems are already in use or owned.
    As for the 30-06 revolver, its possible but it would be too heavy for practical use and probably only hold 3-4 shots in a cylinder that weighs a good bit. If you've ever handled a BFR from Magnum Research chambered in 45-70 Gov't, you'll see why.
    Most of my ideas involve making magnum cartidges function in a semi-auto platform, but the rimmed cases provide a hurdle that is a bit hard to jump, though possible.
    I'd like to try and rebarrel an FAL to accept a straight walled cartidge that has an over-all-length of the .308 Win, kind of like the .458 Socom AR-15s on steroids.

3. moonpie

moonpie New Member

how about a modern LeMat type revolver with a 22/22mag cylinder around a 410/45 center barrel

4. utf59

utf59 New Member

Somebody did make a revolver in .600 Nitro: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmOpdZZ1F2U]YouTube - ‪World's Largest Revolver‬‏[/ame]

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not meant as a put down- but find a book (out of print, but you library can get you a copy) called Firearms Curiosa by Winant. More weird guns between 2 covers than any book I have ever seen.

You will be astounded what someone did with a gun- 50-100 years ago.

6. texaswoodworker

Never said it had to be practical just fun::rolleyes: It would be cool to see an FAL like that.

That would be cool too.

Sweet!:D
    I'll found some copies on amazon for about ten bucks so I'll have to get one. Thanks.

7. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

My God, why?

8. texaswoodworker

Not completely sure but I would think that since that caliber is used in rifles to bring down animals as large as elephants, it could be intended to be used as a backup gun when hunting very large dangerous game. That's just my guess. It may of just been made for heck of it too. Hard to say. I bet it hurts to shoot though.:D

9. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Here's one for you.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfF_FIlIowc[/ame]

10. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Yeah, if you miss your primary shot you have one extra shot to take down the charging animal......and as an added bonus in case you miss that second shot you will be left knocked unconcious and you won't feel a thing as the animal tramples you to death...............So, there is a plus side :)

11. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i remember as a kid seeing in a book a gun that was made to shoot around corners. the barrel was bent 90 degrees to the side, the idea was for prison guards & law enforcement i thought. weird concept that never really took off. that too was from the 40's or 50's era i think

EDIT:

after doin a couple quick searches, it seems that it was a version of the M3 "grease gun" that i saw as a child.

and then i stumbled across this: [ame]http://youtu.be/3RaubAtWZQM[/ame]

them israeli's come up with all sorts of ideas :D

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

There is a revovler in 7.62x39....

Phillips & Rogers, Inc. was best known for the Medusa revolver.

As can be clearly seen from the markings on the revolver in the image below, P&R Inc. also produced (or at least converted/customized) a 7.62x39mm revolver. SecurityArms.com shows it only as "Revolver 7.62x39mm -- One of a Kind".

[​IMG]

13. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I believe there was an AK-47 that did the same thing. I remember seeing it on the History Channel, supposedly the barrels wore out very quickly.

14. texaswoodworker

I've heard of these too. I think even the nazis came up a rifle that could do this too during ww2:eek: They are cool weapons though. I wonder how good their accuracy is.:rolleyes:

15. texaswoodworker

awesome!!!:d

16. texaswoodworker

17. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

huh, you know kinda in this same vein of idea....is there such a thing as a "long range" shotgun? i mean like something that will put an effective group of shot out to say 200 yards or so. I'm thinkin that would be ideal for prairie dog huntin ;)

18. texaswoodworker

I saw something like this in an old western movie. A guy shot another guy with a shotgun from 100 plus yards (don't think it was a slug) and afterwards the guy that had been shot asked what was in the shotgun. He never got an answer so I'm not sure what he shot him with. So a gun like that may exist.

19. Tyler

Tyler New Member

I don't believe that any shotgun could keep a grouping at 200 yards. It wouldn't have anything to do with the gun, but with the round itself. Maybe a hollowed projectile filled with bb's, but that would only expand upon impact. It would still do a considerable amount of damage.

20. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

after diggin around to find more info on the webley revolvers, i came across this, i think this would fall into what C3 was sayin about crazy sh*t they did a hundred years ago:

Webley-Fosbery
    [​IMG]

it's a semi automatic revolver! it sounds like a neat idea but i guess i just can't see any benefits it would have over a semi-auto pistol as we know it now. maybe back then the selling point was it wouldn't jam?