Crazy amount of squibs

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by mesinge2, Sep 25, 2010.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I just had the urge to shoot my Webley mark IV yesterday so I bought it to the range with an ancient box of Remingtion .38 S&W 146 grain rounds. Half way through the box I notice that the shots started sounding different. I checked the bore for obstructions after each shot just to see if one stuck in the barrel (don't want to shoot a potential stuck bullet), but nothing. I just wanted to finish off this box.

By the end, I swear I could see the bullets traveling down range. I actually found four of the rounds. The four I found did not even make it to the back-stop at a 100 yards.

Anyone ever have this happen before?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I just had one, but I don't know how old the ammo was, or who made it. Haven't had one in a really long time, and it kind of surprised me.

3. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

My ammo was amazingly old, so I'm not too suprised. Did yours get stuck in the barrel?

4. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If the ammo was stored in questionable conditions, squib loads are not uncommon. Well stored ammo will last 100 years or more. For an example, look at the WW I vintage Militry surplus ammo available. Much of it is still very servicable.

6. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I got this ammo with the gun at a gun show. I have stored it well but who knows how it was stored before my purchase.