Craziness at the range

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by knfxda, Jul 24, 2011.

1. knfxda

knfxda New Member

OK, so I go to the range today so that my wife can shoot the new XD(M) 4.5" and so that I can rent the XD(M) 5.25" (which is currently only available to rent - more on that later).

So, the majority of this is second-hand, as my wife saw it all and I saw none of it. We were sharing a lane and when she was shooting I was focusing on her, but when I was shooting, she was focusing on those around us.

It started when we were getting ready to go in. A group of 3 really appeared to not know the muzzle from the trigger. The gun shop employee made one of the group prove that he knew his way around a gun by making him do some basic stuff. He assigns them lane 14. We were up next, and when he was assigning us a lane, I said "as far away from lane 14 as possible". We had a little chuckle about it, but little did I know those were the safest people on the range that we could have been around that day.

So, after we leave, my wife lets me know about all that was going on around me. (I suggested that next time she tell me of any unsafe behavior while it's going on and not after the fact... but nonetheless)...

In the lane right next to us is what appears to be a father and adult son sharing a lane. The father was having failure to fire and failure to ejects and other "jams". What does he do? He turns his muzzle 90 degrees to the left (now pointing at me on the other side of the barrier) and stares at his gun inquizitively.

At one point he has his gun upside-down and is shaking it violently to get his double feeds out. He's sweeping me and my wife, who's standing 5 feet behind me.

Cue dummy number 2 who's working with an instructor. Here's another guy who points his muzzle 90 degrees to the left, but this idiot did it with his finger in the trigger. His instructor yells at him to get his finger out of the trigger and only to have it in there when he is on target. At some point, the instruction portion is over and genius number 2 walks back to his lane with is finger firmly on the trigger. (I guess he didn't learn the lesson!)

Made it out alive, but brings up a point that I made to my Basic Handgun instructor the 1st time I shot. I said that I recognize that at some level, I'm putting myself in danger by even being in here! ;)

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Makes you want to have a private range all to yourself!

4. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Wow your lucky my family has a private range and only open to those who have a key to get past the gate

5. fisher79

fisher79 New Member

WOW that's all I have to say! I think I might have slapped the stupid off of both of them.

6. knfxda

knfxda New Member

I'd love a private or "club" range!

I am giving my wife a pass on not letting me know what was going on -- this time.

But the reality of the situation is that I was not situationally aware (and I pride myself on being situationally aware!)

So, it comes down to what I should have done differently and how my actions should change in the future.

Changes that I'm implementing for myself:
    • Don't assume that the least experienced are the most dangerous
    • Assume everyone is a danger until they prove otherwise
    • When shooting with someone else, don't over-focus on them
    • As much as possible, scan the lanes for unsafe behavior
    • Report unsafe people
    • Leave if necessary!

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Reduce your risk by NOT shooting on the weekend!

It's when the crazies come out! :eek:

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I wish I could say that has never happened to me, but unfortunately it hap-pens a lot.

Some folks at the range don't mind sweeping others around them.

I went to the range yesterday morning. Only thing that happened was a guy in the next lane whining and crying about, "all these guys with their black rifles slinging brass everywhere." :rolleyes:

He was shooting a .44 revlover, 30-06 bolt action, and a black powder.

At one point I acted like I was choking, "all these guys with their black powder's fogging up my scope and choking us out!" :D

He quit complaining after that.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Most people are right handed. When at public indoor ranges i try to shoot from the right most lanes. Indoor tend to have walls seperating shooters and i cant see what they are doing. Reason for this is most nubs if they are going to nd turn the gun to the left to see whats going on. Being on the right of potential idiots is statistically safer.

I also limit the time im on the line to actual shooting. I will step back to load mags.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  10. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Good suggestions! Although not shooting on the weekend is tough, especially if I'm going with the wifey!

Changes that I'm implementing for myself:
    • Don't assume that the least experienced are the most dangerous
    • Assume everyone is a danger until they prove otherwise
    • When shooting with someone else, don't over-focus on them
    • As much as possible, scan the lanes for unsafe behavior
    • Report unsafe people
    • Leave if necessary!
      [*]Minimize weekend shooting
      [*]Insist on (if assigned) or pick a right-most lane

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Very good suggestions. Noteworthy. :cool:

12. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

That why I love having a private place to shoot, the only dangers are family and if they shoot you well thanksgiving is gonna suck. Also you can really do things the way you want to, I don't wear safety glasses. Also sometimes you just really need to make something explode =)

13. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Its exactly the same here and its what I do. I'll only go to the range on a weekday.

14. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Not smart. Wear your hearing and eye protection.....and a hat! :D

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

And NO plunging neckline for the ladies. They need to avoid hot brass and we need to avoid the distraction! ;)

16. fisher79

fisher79 New Member

Oh cane it is a beautiful distraction if you must have one;)

17. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I was at the range Saturday, it was packed! The guys next to me were firing ATI GSG-5 22LR rifles and other weapons. One fire Federal and the other was not too happy with the ammo, we all know what that ammo wasnot too happy one - Remington 550 bulk crap. Failure-to-fire, miss feeds, etc.

The biggest thing, is when the range is hot, you are cleared to fire. When the range is cold, stay off the concrete/bench section, cannot bring in firearms and no gun handling. I heard it alot when the range was cold, people do not get it!

This was probably the last Saturday or weekend I go to the range, back during the week from now on.

18. Double_tap

Double_tap New Member

WOW this is exactly why I dont shoot at places like this