Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range yesterday morning with a mate just to put a few rounds through my BRNO .22 and his Lithgow .22. We had a bit of a competition between the 2 shooting at BR targets at 50 metres using Federal .22 ammo as a "control" round.
This stuff in the 525 round packet has the consistency of water and mud and the accuracy is pure do do and this was confirmed in both rifles especially my BRNO.

I fired at 1 target on the BR targets and the round nearly hit the bull in the target next to it a distance of probably 6-8" apart. It did this at least twice and my mate's Lithgow was throwing them all over the place as well and in some cases almost missing the target altogether and hitting the backing board.
Then there other shots where I or my mate would almost hit the central or get it but on the next shot end up on the edge of the square for that particular target.
My BRNO will digest just about anything but this Federal stuff is worse than useless in the consistency stakes and probably better used in a pump action .22 on tin cans at 50 feet.

We would've got better groups using rat shot or No.7 trap shot than using this rubbish.

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Asking out of ignorance, I am, is the Federal ammo you guys shoot down under made in the U.S.A. or elsewhere?
Considering possible delay getting there from here, temperature variations, handling possibilities, etc. I'd be surprised if there aren't a few duds included with the misses. I usually find a couple bad rounds in loose-packed .22 bulk packs.

When I saw "bad rounds", I mean priming missing on part of the rim mostly. Occasional squib load.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Asking out of ignorance, I am, is the Federal ammo you guys shoot down under made in the U.S.A. or elsewhere?
Considering possible delay getting there from here, temperature variations, handling possibilities, etc. I'd be surprised if there aren't a few duds included with the misses. I usually find a couple bad rounds in loose-packed .22 bulk packs.

When I saw "bad rounds", I mean priming missing on part of the rim mostly. Occasional squib load.
All the rounds fired and the rounds are imported from the USA from what I can see. It's not the 1st time I've had inconsistency in accuracy from this junk ammo and it's o9nly the 2nd time I've used it as both times they were given to me and I can see why.

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Are Australians experiencing the same ammo shortage as the U.S.A. ? Just one example are bulk-packed Remington .22's - normally perhaps around $20 now advertised at $85 ? Most everything unavailable?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Are Australians experiencing the same ammo shortage as the U.S.A. ? Just one example are bulk-packed Remington .22's - normally perhaps around $20 now advertised at $85 ? Most everything unavailable?
Not funny but, is there really an ammo shortage? How many people have it by the ton stored at home waiting for someone to try to ban it. Like anything else, a ban will only increase the real supply, i.e. prohibition of alcohol. More of it was consumed during prohibition than before.....so I've read. Why do so many people struggle so much with thinking logically? Part of it is they aren't experiencing "the pain". Too many people can't relate to people that can't balance their budget. Not everyone with huge amounts of credit card debt is stupid. They're just trying to survive. People like, Newson, for example are obviously light years removed from reality. Back on topic, rimfire ammo is difficult to manufacture to function reliably. I don't know of anyone reloading it or making their own.....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
There are a lot of duds in the newer made .22lr ammo.
The dud bucket is full of them at the range.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
I gave up on Federal years ago. About the only consistent feature was very poor cycling in all of my semi-auto .22s. CCI Mini-mags are all I shoot now.

·
Premium Member
10,061 Posts
Knock on wood, i fire a couple hundred .22 LR rounds every week. i've had very little problem with .22 ammunition from any US manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are starting to experience shortages in ammo and a lot of reloading gear especially powder even our own ADR powders with a lot of it going to the USA.

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
I've never had problems with federal bulk pack, winchester on the other hand.... The last brick I bought had 3 or 4 rounds without bullets. It seemed like I had a dud every 30 rounds. Besides thunderbolts, I've had pretty good luck with Remington. CCI is still king though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a Fed Auto Match bulk pack, purchased 3 years ago. First trip out and went through, maybe 40 rounds. Had 2 duds, but what really concerned me was the 5, yes 5, squibs. The first, from 5 1/2" barrel Blackhawk, I SAW the bullet leave the barrel and hit the ground 5' in front kg me.. The next 2, barely a pop and saw the bullet hit the bottom of 7 yard target. The 4th sounded like a bb gun. Bullet was hanging from the muzzle. 5th was a gnat fart, lodged in forcing cone and locked cylinder.

Grandkids were not happy, when I wouldn't let them shoot.

Send letter to Federal. They sent me a postage paid box to return, for them to examine. 2 weeks later, I received a package, had 2 replacement bulk packs.

I have never had a squib load from any other LR ammo.

·
Premium Member
11,212 Posts
What does not work in an auto-shucking pistol gets shot in a revolver, I buy all brands when the price is right.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have been firing .22lr almost exclusively since we started shooting in September after layoff because of Covid. I bought a Glock 44 and already had a S&W M&P 22 compact that my wife mostly shoots so we could both shoot at the same time.

I have fired Winchester Wildcats, Federal, Aguilla, Remington Golden Bullets, Remington, Winchester Western, Winchester Thunderbolt, Remington M22, and Blazer Brass. I have not shot any of my mini-mags.....saving it.

Between wife and I, we have probably shot in excess of 5000 rounds. Although I have not tried to keep an accurate count, I would guess we have had fewer than half a dozon failure to fire rounds of any of that entire mix, and no more than one or two of any one ammo and probably about half in each of the guns. The Glock was brand new and I was about halfway expecting some problems early on after reading about issues others had with it. I have had no problems of any kind with that gun.

So, I'm very pleasantly surprised because I fully expected to have 6 or 8 failures to fire every time at the range out of a couple of hundred rounds. I was more than happy with every ammo I've shot and with both gun operations.

·
Premium Member
11,212 Posts
I have been firing .22lr almost exclusively since we started shooting in September after layoff because of Covid. I bought a Glock 44 and already had a S&W M&P 22 compact that my wife mostly shoots so we could both shoot at the same time.

I have fired Winchester Wildcats, Federal, Aguilla, Remington Golden Bullets, Remington, Winchester Western, Winchester Thunderbolt, Remington M22, and Blazer Brass. I have not shot any of my mini-mags.....saving it.

Between wife and I, we have probably shot in excess of 5000 rounds. Although I have not tried to keep an accurate count, I would guess we have had fewer than half a dozon failure to fire rounds of any of that entire mix, and no more than one or two of any one ammo and probably about half in each of the guns. The Glock was brand new and I was about halfway expecting some problems early on after reading about issues others had with it. I have had no problems of any kind with that gun.

So, I'm very pleasantly surprised because I fully expected to have 6 or 8 failures to fire every time at the range out of a couple of hundred rounds. I was more than happy with every ammo I've shot and with both gun operations.
I have had the same experience with my G44.

·
Premium Member
12,223 Posts
There was a member here years ago that shot many thousands of .22lr rounds per year, pretty sure it was big Shrek. His conclusion was that he would never buy Remington Golden ever again.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There was a member here years ago that shot many thousands of .22lr rounds per year, pretty sure it was big Shrek. His conclusion was that he would never buy Remington Golden ever again.
It fired totally reliably thru both of my 22 pistols. I've seen or heard different people with various guns express problems with one kind of another of 22 ammo brands with the exception of mini-mags.

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
I think golden bullets got a "new and improved " stamp a couple years ago, the old ones were as bad as thunderbolts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I shoot lots of Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts. Never a problem

Bought 2 Daisy (now Cricket) rifles, 35 years ago, for my sons. One rifle shot Thunderbolts like they were match ammo. The other, shot everything except Thunderbolts, they just wouldn't group.

My favorite .22 ammo was Remington Viper (Yellowjacket with truncated cone bullet, no HP)
Awesome squirrel round.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
I bought about 3000+ rounds from an estate sale about two years ago. I bet about 20 year old Winchester mostly. Brass looks good, no apparent corrosion. For about $60. I must get through these before I buy more.. All seem good, couple duds here and there, but normal for 22 ammo I'd say.. Was very pleased with the purchase, more so over the last year..

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought about 3000+ rounds from an estate sale about two years ago. I bet about 20 year old Winchester mostly. Brass looks good, no apparent corrosion. For about $60. I must get through these before I buy more.. All seem good, couple duds here and there, but normal for 22 ammo I'd say.. Was very pleased with the purchase, more so over the last year..

It amazes me how people shy from ammo at estate sales. Even when in factory cases. I hear comments of; "I don't know how 'old' it is", "was it stored properly", "I only shoot 'new' ammo". And, some ridiculous comments.

I bought 2 unopened CASES of Winchester Super X (10k rounds) .22LR, 80's vintage, for $60.
Grandkids had a few awesome days. One afternoon was particularly rough on the turtle population of my stock pond.

Picked up some .357 reloads, for $0.02 a round.
Disassemble some and shot the rest.

Opened powder is my shy spot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts