Craigs list

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Flat Tire, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

So I am new to this Craigslist and I listed some auto parts for sale and I have been getting the craziest emails from people that don't make any sense, or emails that are blank. Is this common from this site ?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes its common.

its also common that muggers rapists and serial killers use tht site to lure people to bad ends...

my recomendation is dont do it. here in se wisconsin your more likely to be robbed doing a face to face craigs list sale than completing the transaction safely. here recently there was an incident where the seller arranged the meet right in front of the racine county sherriff office and jail complex. he was robbed then shot and left on the sidewalk.

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I use it to sell pretty much everything other than guns and never had any bad luck, but read some horror stories like most. I use it quite often and is actually one of the main reasons I started carrying.

To answer your question, no, I've never gotten blank emails. I have gotten plenty from scammers.

I have a couple simple rules I follow and post them at the end of each listing. Cash only & face2face only transactions. Only meet in high traffic areas & times. I get a price established before I exchange any phone numbers also.

4. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

I just sold a car on Craigslist, yea, 90% replies were scams. The scammers who wanted to send money orders or PayPal I had them call me wife to setup the transaction, of course her phone number was the local FBI field office, they didn't bother to call me back?

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have had good results with craigs list. Yes, I have got some nutty replies. People that want a zillion pictures of the item. I don't reply to those email messages. You can tell when someone is serious and ready to buy.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

as with selling anything, they ain't serious unless they show up with cash!

several times, i have had people haggle over the price and we agree on it, then they need a few days or weeks to come up with the money?

the one that really gets me laughing, is they want to lowball your price and throw out that someone else has the same thing for much lower! my response, then why are you here wasting your time and mine?

7. TankTop

I'm a car salesman by profession, I love it when someone tells me they can buy a brand new one for x thousand less, I just look at them and ask why they didn't buy it already if it's such a great deal. My dealership had the steeple removed a couple months ago, the owner decided he was interested in a profit!

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

What does that mean?

Anyway, I am trying to sell some items on Criagslist, too. I keep getting woman sending me sexy pictures of themselves asking if we can meet for drinks. :mad:

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

just forward them to some of the single male members here on the forum!:p

10. TankTop

We're not a church giving handouts

11. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Ive not once had an issue with anyone ive ever dealt with on craigslist. I think its fantastic. I dont live in a larger city though like others. I am always carrying anyways.

12. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Craigslist can be a good resource, unfortunately it is rampant with scammers, beware any callers trying to make oddball payment arrangements also if you are looking to buy be weary of any deals to good to be true, one common one is newer model 4x4 tractor with loader and attachments for 4200 dollars, I have seen this ad in many cities and states on craigslist usually with different pics and dumb excuses as to why you cannot see the machine before you buy, like it is currently out on the brother in law's ranch in Montana.

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Oh. Hahahaha........thanks.

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have had good experiences on CL, but there have been some strange ones. Look out for the scammers for sure. If it seems strange just don't bother responding. I also have no problem backing out if I get a bad feeling. I had a guy respond to an ad I placed for some night vision gear and he wanted to meet at 10:00 at night "so he could try it out for real" even though I assured him he could do so inside a shipping container or whatever. He was going to drive 5 hours just to look at it. Ummmm. Never mind dude, I just sold it.

15. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I love Craigs List but Im a buyer not a seller! Never tried to sell anything on it but Ive bought lots of things from it. I do think as long as everyone is aware the deal is "Cash in hand, trust no Man and down the road you go", its all good! You do have to be more careful when your selling or buying expensive jewelry or other precious items, best to do so away from home in a public place.

A few years ago, I was looking for a large ornate cast iron gravity heat floor grate for one of my "This old House Projects", they were selling for $500 plus shipping on Ebay, I couldnt and wouldnt pay that much! After months of looking, I found one for $100 on Craigs about 80 miles away but driving to pick it up would have been expensive and time consuming so I asked her if she would ship it slow boat. She understood and was agreeable but because of all the scams, wouldnt accept checks or money orders so I took a chance and sent her cash for the item and shipping. I talked with her on the phone a couple times and she sounded nice. It was worth the gamble, (saving 500 buck's) so I sent her cash in the mail, registered and signed for. 6 days later, the 60 lb grate arrived in perfect condition, its beautiful, circa 1910 ish.

I probably wouldnt do that regularly or with much more at risk but it worked well for me.

16. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

He could check it out in a shipping container??? Hahahaha

17. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

This is the problem I have had with the few things I have tried to sell, if I do get someone interested in buying they don't "trust" me to mail me a check or money order if I were to accept it, and I don't "trust" them to ship them my goods without first receiving payment in full. I understand being leary of scams but if you want to buy something you will have to pay for it somehow, it's too bad craigslist isn't more like ebay where the sellers are registered and have feedback and ways can be set up for buyers and sellers to use creditcards for secure payment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  18. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I use CL to both buy and sell things. As a buyer, I won't respond to people who don't post their ads using complete sentences and post a picture of the item and sound legit in the back and forth email traffic. I pretty much apply those same rules as a seller.

If I am buying something over $100 I usually say something like " I will be paying in cash but I will not get the money out of the ATM until we meet". Nothing is perfect but I think a small amount of skepticism is healthy and will reduce your chances of getting scammed or worse.

19. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I do buy and sell occasionally on CL. When selling I never use the E-mail option only a phone number. That stops 95% or more of the scammers. Use a cell phone# as then they do not have your address and your phone records their phone#. I do not allow texts either. Voice only. I always carry anyway.

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yup. Thing is I didn't want anybody like him looking around inside my shipping container!