cracked stock

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by chip102, Nov 29, 2009.

1. chip102

chip102 New Member

hey guys,
    I when shooting with a Marlin .22 tube fed rim fire the other day, and when i took it out of the case i noticed the stock was cracked real bad right below the trigger and that it causes the stock to flex. also the barrel and action slide around on the stock. any suggestions for repair.

Attached Files:

2. Walley

Walley New Member

Sounds like it is time for a new stock. If you do decide to get it repaired ask your gunsmith if he knows someone in your area that he would recommend to do the job. Get it done professionally. Over the years I have seen quite a few good guns screwed up by do it yourself repairs.

3. chip102

chip102 New Member

thanks for the quick reply.

4. Walley

Walley New Member

One thing you will find out about us old farts is that we are always looking for someone to give advise to try to help out.

5. jsid6g

jsid6g New Member

stock crack

you can buy a stock or repair what you have it all depends on what you want to spend, some guns are worth the new stock or have a gunsmith repair it, some are not worth it. if you decide to fix it your self it is not hard,
    some eproxe [lows or Home depo] some painters tape or electrial tape will work .. if the stock is real bad you might need a C clamp or too, send me a PM if you want more info. the repair is not hard to do your self

SID

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  7. Walley

Walley New Member

I have seen quite a few guns that people have repaired the cracked stock on over the years. The guns are fine for a few years but the stock eventually cracks again somewhere else. The problem, the way I see it, is that most gun owners do a real good job of taking care of the metal parts of their guns and just wipe off the stock now and then. They store them in a gun safe with something to keep the humidity down and eventually the wood dries out and cracks. A good oil finish on a stock that is well taken care of very seldom cracks. If I come across a gun with a cracked stock I always replace it. This is just the view of an old man that has been shooting for over 60 years.

8. General_lee

General_lee New Member

My advice is to take it to a qualified gunsmith.
    But if you want to save some money and do it yourself, you need to get some AcraGlas from Brownells. It's a 2 part epoxy specially designed for glass bedding and stock repair.

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

It is a 22 for god sakes not a 600 NE.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yep, that's the weak spot. Your gun has received some form of lateral pressure. Maybe some weight placed on it during transport or some one leaned against it while it was standing upright. It doesn't take much for these little rimfires.

I repaired my Marlin 60 because it has been mine from day one in 1967.

I wanted to keep it's stock parts together and passed on the poly stock replacement. (Plus the stock was worth more than the gun's action.)

The repair will bring the stock back to it's origin strength or even better but will do little for the aesthetics. If it is to be a utility rifle with no ego that will work fine. If however, your ego will suffer with a scar on the old warrior you have two choices; repair and paint or restock.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-tango-plunkungfest-westeren-auto-120-a-14041/#post107914

11. Walley

Walley New Member

‘JUST A 22’

In the past 60 years I have put together an eclectic collection of eighteen 22 rifles. I treat them all with the same care and respect as I do my Perazzi, L. C. Smith, Purdy, Holland & Holland, Spencer, Weatherby, Browning or any of the other guns in my collection. Sure I have a hell of a lot more into some of them than they are worth but I have the pride of ownership of a gun I nursed back into good condition. That money can’t buy. It kills me when people look down on the humble 22 as they have taught more people to shoot than any other gun ever built. If it is worth owning it is damn sure worth what ever it takes to make things right by it.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 Walley, gotta love them to keep them.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  13. chip102

chip102 New Member

i think i will try canebrake's repair, but will cover up the screw with a plug so i can re-stain.

14. Walley

Walley New Member

Canebrake

A long time ago my father told me that a gun is like a wife. If you can’t love the one you have divorce it and go find one that you can.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

That was my first thought but there's little real estate to plug the counter sunk screw.

Take some photos and post your repair in the Your Projects section.

Spoken to truth!

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I took Tango's statement to mean that using the rifle after repair should not be a concern of it coming apart while shooting. If you know Tango like we do, he loves his rimfires especially the older ones. I do not think he was saying it was not worth a restock because it is "just" a 22 rim. That's how I read that, anyhow. :)

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Thank you skull......

I sometimes forget some people don't always standunder what I am saying.

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I take loving care of all my guns. Some more than others but they all get the love and affection my wife longs for (JK :) )

If you repair the stock it will be good to go IF DONE RIGHT. You guys are telling this guy to take it to a gunsmith pay 4 to 5 times what it will cost for him to do all because what you have more money than brains.

If it were something to deal with an advanced gunsmithing job yeah take it to one. But, for a quick simple stock repair that takes some quick clamps, gorilla glue and paint. I would buy a replacement stock and fix the old on. That way I have a nice show off stock and a stock I am not afraid to nick and ding in the end.

19. jsid6g

jsid6g New Member

stock repair

all the suggestions are good but the accurglass kit is good to glass bed a gun but it will not run down into the crack, accurglass is stiff, good to glass bed the stock , to repair the stock you need something that will run into the crachs a tooth picks will help it to go into the crack where you want it to go, an tape an wax will help it not stick in the places that you don't want it to stick, if the stock broke from the screew being to tight causing great pressure on the stock over time ,need to fix that problem , after the stock has been repaired ,it would be a good idear to glass bed the around the screw holes so you can tighten them down an not put a lot of force on the stock, lets face it this is a 22 not a high power gun that cost $500 + $$$ they are cheep an made to sell that way an to keep the cost down the stocks are not fit very well, so when you tighten up the screws it is not metal to wood fit it is metal air an wood so to keep it in good working order for many years
    it woud be to your advantage to glass BED all the 22 rifles in an around the screws holes from the inside of the stock to take up the air gap that is there, that way we can tighten up the screws an tight as we want, lets face it we all want to keep our play toys in good working order, an just because we are owners we can do very good job on them, if we as a group did not do a good job they would not sell the accurate glass kit's at the local gun stores, the other side of the coine some people should not touch any part of the gun but the out side, you have to make up your mine as to what you can do

MY 2 CTS

SID