cracked mosin chamber/reciever

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by JayCody, Nov 21, 2013.

1. JayCody

JayCody New Member

As some of you may know I recently purchased a T53 mosin nagant and the chamber had a small possible crack in it. I have taken the gun all apart and I am unsure as to what to do with the barreled receiver, any advice?

2. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Take it back or weld it so it can't be shot and hang it over the mantle

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Nothing. If it leaks, it's over. Bury it or sell for parts.

4. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Already sold the parts. Do you think the local police station would destroy it for me?

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Wait for a buy back.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, you can wait for a buy back and possibly get way more than its worth, or just beat it with a large hammer until you have smaller pieces.

Then if you're really feeling like it could be a problem still, scatter the pieces among several public trash cans in several different small towns.

Or, the way the gov destroys them, torch cut it into three pieces.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if there is a crack in the chamber, then i don't think there is any way of repairing it and making it safe to shoot.

personally, i'd fill the barrel and chamber with epoxy, let it harden and put it back together and make a wall hanger out it. old guns look great hanging over the mantle!

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Don't know, but I'd just bring it in and let them make a call. I am not sure about waiting for a buyback. First, much depends on where you live. Second, you'll have to safely store a firearm you have no use for. Third, the money is problematic at best.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Make a wall hanger out of it. Look at it every time you think you want a rifle made by slave labor in a Communist country. ;)

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've never seen a T-53 in good condition. Upside

of that is you can still get them for 99$. Downside

is it's a ripoff. But suffice it to say yours is much cheaper

to replace than fix.

JMHO, get a mint Polish, Rumanian, or Czech M44,

for a couple hundred dollars more...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For destruction (Sob!) of a firearm, find a cutting torch (most muffler and auto shops). Remove action from stock. Remove bolt. Cut receiver into 3 pieces, one cut passing thru chamber. It is now no longer a firearm.

Other means of cutting, such as a hacksaw, do not suffice. Total melting of the receiver will count, but is hard to do unless you have a foundry.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe he said he already sold the parts. It that is the case, the bolt/receiver can be discarded. No hope of a kid getting ahold of it and building a new gun from it. You could dispose of it at the local scrap yard. Or do what we do, put it in the trunk of a car going in the crusher.

13. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

buy another one. that's kind of the thing with M-N's - they are cheap as the day is long

I'd never shoot a cracked chambered rifle of any type personally, no matter what was done to it

14. JayCody

JayCody New Member

even though it's broken I would hate destroying it. I will remove the barrel and see where the crack is, If the crack is in the barrel I will sell the receiver to someone looking to build a sporter mosin. Thanks for the help

15. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Not saying its impossible to have a crack but I've only ever heard about one other Mosin having a catastrophic failure. Where did you get the T53? Can it be returned? How long have you had it? How many rounds have you put down the tube? Did you have it ultra sound or dye penetrant inspected? Are you sure the gas leak isn't a head space problem or a bolt problem? Pictures Pictures Pictures ! Show us.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Mosin-Nagants some time crack near the rear of the receiver. However 99.9% crack center to front. These are very dangerous fractures. The M-91 Remington Nagants often crack along the stock line. This is an often found crack in a Mosin-Nagant.

Attached Files:

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The Chinese do give lifetime warranty on their mil surp, regardless of the condition. You must however appear in person at the Cangzhou Armory, rifle in hand... Come on brother. He stripped it already!

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

J&G has a rifle sale. They have some nice used rifles with a fluted barrel and bolt for $300 to $400. They also have their usual milsurp fare. I am thinking of getting a 243 from J&G.