Coyotes

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by tinbucket, Jun 9, 2014.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

We've had Coyotes around the community for several years now. Quite a few have been shot.
    Last year and fall before, we had them come down near the rear porch.
    This year we have some dogs, in a pen until we can give them away. Hasn't detered them one bit appears thec come near the pen to annoy the dogs.
    They have apparently driven the turkeys and deer from our property. I don't like that a bunch.
    Last evening I heard one give deep voiced call across the way. The dogs barked and the pack up on the hill sang. The voices seemed deep for a Coyote. Someone said they saw a wolf, somewhere, sometime around the larger area. I did see two many years ago chasing a deer almost, into my lap.
    A feral kitten, that was hanging around the rear deck, cried terribly yesterday am, waking me up. It's gone. A coyote or Raccoon or even a Opossum may have gotten it.
    I don't have the patience nor physically able, to sit in a probably site, in the woods, all evening

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The reason they ever expose themselves

around humans is the prospect of a meal,

for which they will take some abnormal risk.

Your animals are in danger of being eaten.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

+1..............

4. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

Couple of options seem to be that you can try trapping them using a scent lure, setting up a bait station and waiting or trying a call system and get them to come to you.

Here in Australia we have a lot of problems with wild dogs and Dingos and a favourite method is to lay a set of traps around a scent or a bait and then shooting them in the trap so I can't see a Wolf or Coyote any different in that respect.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Where are you located at that you think you have wolves?

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

They breed faster than you can kill. Learn to live with them and keep those dogs fenced. Coyotes will sometimes send a female in heat to lure a dog into an ambush.

No offense and none taken

7. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

No idea where the OP is from Winds, but about 25 years ago Lake Erie froze over, and some of the wolves from southern Canada crossed the lake that winter into western NY, Ohio, and northwestern PA. I don't know if they are still around, but I got a few pictures of them during a squirell hunt on my uncle's land back in 89. haven't seen any since.

I'll see if I can find the pictures and the article that ran in the local paper about it. If i can, I'll scan and post the pics, and link the article.

Found an article from a 'cuse papre dated 3013.:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/06/wolves_that_wander_into_upstat.html

Here's one about a wolf shot in Saratoga County in 2001. :http://www.watershedpost.com/2011/wild-wolves-return-new-york-state

And the news get worse. Some of the wolves and coyotes are breeding. :eek::http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32976657/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/coyote-wolf-new-breed-predator/#.U5n4gfldV88

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

tin,

I would ask one question! Is it illegal in your state to bait predators and use a spotlight or night vision to shoot them?
    If it is not illegal I have the answer for you so you would not have to set up all the hours and wait on the culprits to come.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Only where coyotes are a native species are they protected by any game laws. You can kill a coyote in anyway you want that doesn't harm other species. Some states have blanket laws that protect all animals, even non game species. It is your duty to know the law.

Wolves are a different story. At one point wolves were a native species almost everywhere in the US. You need to contact the wildlife resources commission before shooting wolves.

10. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Name one state that protects yotes. None that I know of. And what are these blanket laws you mention as EVERY state has hunting seasons on a variety of animals.

11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Coyotes are attracted to easy meals, if your seeing them in broad daylight means they are sooner or later going to kill or hurt someone most likely a stranded motorist or child playing in their yard.
    you mention they hang around the dogs you have behind uour home, how old are they?
    dogs reach sexual maturity at 6 months
    any females in heat will draw in coyotes, as there is plenty examples of Coydogs around, folks had a rather nasty one that was after shooting it in the sheep yard with 5 dead sheep and 8 wounded was pitbull/coyote mix, have heard of examples of poodle, german shep/alsation , black lab and rotwieler mixes with coyotes.

12. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

Same here in Australia as there's plenty of proof of wild dogs with mixes of German Shepherd,Pit Bull, Kelpie, Cattle Dog etc in them. There hasn't been any deaths YET but there's plenty of story's of people being stalked and in some cases attacked by packs of wild dogs.

My nephew used to work as a driller at 1 of the coal mines about 3-4 hours away from me and they were told by mine management that if a car broke down in the middle of the scrub on the mining lease not to leave the car but call control and they'd send somebody out to retrieve them such was the menace from packs of wild dogs.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Contact some gun shops in your area about any guys that coyote hunt. Get a couple guys to cover your area and maybe kill them out. Traps could take other things you don't want to loose, cats, dogs, bob cats .

See a coyote kill it if you can. . They will kill anything you have from smaller cows to horse's, pets and children. Never seen a state that had any coyotes protected. They do at times mate with dogs and now some wolfs and coyotes have made a new hybrid . Larger hybrids with the bad habits of coyotes.

Don't say they don't before checking first.

14. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Last year we had a coyote killed the neighbors cat on my other neighbors front lawn. Coyote gutted the cat and took specific organs and ran away, this was 0630 hours (6:30 a.m.).

Remember, walking the dogs in the morning and a coyote was 50 yards behind, this coyote jumped on a tree and climbed a 9 foot wall in a blink of an eye.

This year, have not seen a single coyote. I have seen a crap load of rabbits under my neighbors shed and in the process driving our dogs and neighbors hound nuts.

15. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Coyotes are becoming more and more of a problem here. Pets are starting to go missing and I've found the half-eaten remains of two or three fawns here just in the last couple of months.

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Here in NH, you need to register a bait pile, and only allowed in winter. Other then that they are fair game. They have breed w/ the Quebec wolf here in the northeast.
    A 65lb male is becoming average. I believe the largest was about 85lb.

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

85 yote would be one scare animal.

18. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

They are here in Central Florida. They are rarely seen, but some small dogs in yards, and outedoor cats have disappeared. When I take my dogs out at night, I always have a gun with me.

The Coyotes here are not howlers, as I will bet that brought trouble to them. I have seen one north of Tampa at my daughter's neighborhood, and a couple of car hit ones by the side of the road here. Otherwise they are pretty invisible.

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Here they run in Packs...many pets vanish as meals for them....

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

20. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

No coyotes, we have rabbits!