coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by 1911beast, Jan 1, 2012.

1. 1911beast

1911beast New Member

do you guys think that a 30-6 is to much to shoot a coyote with o and i wand to keep the fur:D

2. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

You'll have two holes to deal with in the pelt. The 30-06 should be good out to at least 300 yards or more if you are sighted in.

3. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

There is no round too big or small for a coyote from an agricultural perspective.

With that said, the 30-06 with some 55 grain loads should do right nice on 'yote. Personally if all I have is a 180 grain load and Wiley pops up in front of me, that's what I use.

4. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I have used the Remington 125 grain SP with good results......but I had no interest in pelts, just dead coyotes.

5. Win73

Win73 New Member

Two seasons ago I was deer hunting and saw a coyote. I shot him at about 25 yards with a 150 grain Remington Core-lokt out of my .30-06. He was moving and I hit him just behind the rib cage. It not only gutted him but nearly cut him in two.

6. Catfish

Catfish New Member

No round is to big for coyote, And if you happen to see one when your carring a small caliber, nothing is to small. As you might have aready figured out, I don`t like coyotes, but they are fun to hunt.

7. oletrapper

oletrapper New Member Supporter

Yea baby!

God, I just love to read stories like that!

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I shot one earlier at 350 yards w my new baby-7.82 warbird. Hit him between the eyes and bullet came out the other end. Needles to say a 150 grain nosler partition III made ALMOST two of him;)

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

9. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

If your lookin to keep the fur, I'd look at what bullet your using. Something that fragments easily, like a hornady v max or most "varmit" bullets, will tear things apart more. Something that doesn't break apart is what you'll want. Full metal jackets or, correct me if I'm wrong, I think Barnes makes something with the "pelt hunter" in mind.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes they do

11. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

A coyote isn't worthy of a 30-06.

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I dont think so either. Thays whybi use my 22 mag, 223's, 243, and my 22-250.

13. Win73

Win73 New Member

Maybe not, but if that is what I am holding when I see one, that is what he is going to get shot with.

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya thats another good idea also;)

15. xXtacticalrimfireXx

xXtacticalrimfireXx New Member

I was deer hunting one year muzzleloading season and shot one almost in half with my .50cal muzzle loader lol

(remington scoremaster a.k.a "squirrelmaster")

16. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Anything 50 cal or less will work on a coyote. [​IMG]

17. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Nailed one this morn behind my barn was goin out to shoot saw him in the pens snootin around so jacked a round in a wamm nothin like a 338 win 220 grain pill bustin home kinda nasty to clean up tho texas heart shot yes all the way through cool tho

18. Okie_fd

Okie_fd New Member

If your after the pelts I can testify for 22-250. I shoot Winchester 45gr jhp. I've called them in and had them wind me. Had them take off loping lazily at 240yrds shot him in neck. All I saw was him flipping about 2 1/2 times like a wet rag. The hollow points mushroom pretty good and won't go plum through so saves pelt at that distance.

In saying that if you can get them in close shot gun them. Most ppl carry a riffle and a shotgun down here. At 4000 fps a 22-250 will blow right through them up close.

19. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

The 22-250 , the 223, the 204 are my top choices for yotes, but most any small caliber 22an larger works my all time favorite yote gun is my old model 70 winchester in .222

20. oletrapper

oletrapper New Member Supporter

Foxpro

If you want coyotes and have a little extra cash, buy yourself a Foxpro. They run around $500 with all the bells and whistles. Set that baby out about 200 yards and turn it on with the remote and wait. Volume low to start. That is very important. Increase slowly after about 2 min if no action. Nothing like it. Coyote doesn't even know you are around at that distance. I have tooth scars on mine. Some want to eat the damn thing.
    My favorites are my Remington 222 and Savage 243