Coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SmithKid308, Nov 9, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Is a 30-06 a good all around hunting round? I heard it was im just wanting your opinion not an argument. I have only been coyote hunting once but I used my grandfathers .270 and got a head shot but do you think that a 30-06 is good all around hunting round ?

2. 44ablast

44ablast New Member

The 30-06 is one of the best hunting rounds ever produced.don't matter if your shootin coyotes,bears,white tail ,or moose . Ya never go wrong with the 30-06. Ya there might be bigger and badder but ,30-06 is a Damn good round:)

3. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

So this round is not over powered for coyote headshots?

4. 44ablast

44ablast New Member

Well let's just say it will defiantly do the job (probably take the head right off!) Most coyote hunters prefer the 22-250 or the 223

5. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I don't have either of those calibers so this will have to do

6. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

30-06 is a good, classic all-round round. They are easy to find in a variety of configurations.

There are other good ones too, but 30-06 is definitely a good one for a lot of things.

7. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

This is my first 30-06 actually first decent bolt action that's not a mil surp so do u think I made a good choice it's an savage 110 30-06 it had no
    Bells and whistles but I did put a bi-pod on it and I prefer iron sights over a scope or optic so I'm thinking of getting some with open rings

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Don't see any reason why it would not do it with a quickness. I usually use a 223 and sometimes a 22 mag. But it all depends on where I'd be at and what kind of distances I'm looking to shoot at. I don't want them running all over suffering or anything. I'd say with a 30-06 they should fall over really easy even at a long range.

9. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Alright where I hunt I kill more coyotes then deer :) I'd rather take a coyote honestly and the only other gun I hunt with is a 7mm mauser mil surp

10. Catfish

Catfish New Member

The old 06 is still probily the best all around round out there. It`s alittle small on moose, but will do the job and alittle large for varments, but again it will do the job. My long range coyote guns will really tear up a coyote, but they are only worth abt. $ 5 here so I don`t really care as long as they are dead. Try thr 130 gr. Speer bullets for varments, if your not going to save hides.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

30.06 will probably knock a coyote over.

Most folks use their rifle for more than 1 type of game,

and 30.06 is great, for a few reasons.

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I either use my ar-15 in 5.56 or my savage .22-250. Ill use the savage if we are hunting in wide open areas, but most the time my buddies and i hunt a mixture with mostly thick woods. Ive got a holographic sight on my ar so its great for hunting coyotes after dark

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If you are not keeping the hide, a .30-06 is fine. Do your thing and find your own way. Coyotes are a pita at times, but w/ good optics can be taken easily over bait, if that is legal in your State. 150gr will work well. If you reload Gas checked cast lead are great bullets. You load them to about 2000fps. Makes a great coyote round.

15. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

What if I am going to keep the hide l

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, well, then you want to select a smaller round based on ballistics

favorable to you. 5.56 is nice, so are a few others.

I guess it depends on different factors for different hunts.

Coyotes are a target of opportunity for me, since it's

open season year round for 'yotes in Florida.

17. nygunnut

nygunnut New Member

for keeping the pelt, id suggest like a few others the .22 win mag. otherwise use the biggest most deadly weapon you have at your disposal thats legal in your state. i dont know about you but in upstate NY we hunt coyotes as target practice. so if it goes boom or even thawack (thats a bow or cross bow) you can use it for yotes. but is the pelt really worth saving for you? even salted and ready to tan they only go for at most $30-$45 in optimal condition (meaning no bullet holes) tanned they can get up to about $50, to me its not really worth it. but i cant very well speak for you.

18. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I have no idea what the law is in Ky. But I would be keeping the pelts for myself not or sale but I do have a mini 14 but no scope

19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Smithkid, I use a 30-96 for coyote on occasion myself, and have had decent luck with Federal's 55 grain sabots. They are a 55 grain .223 bullet in a sabot, in a 30-06 case, and they are an excellent round for coyotes and woodchucks at longer ranges. Upside; they don't destroy the hide, Downside;shot placement is a little more critical. Hope this helps.

Kevin.