coyote hunting

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by ptownlaxer, Dec 21, 2010.

1. ptownlaxer

ptownlaxer New Member

is a 22lr an ok round to coyote hunt?

2. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

there are much better options. I think 17 Remington would be my minimum round.

My critter gun is a Howa 1500 .223 with Leupold 6-18x40 Target. I run 50gr Sierra Blitzkings over Varget or H335

3. hogrider

hogrider New Member

I've taken coyotes out to 100yds with a .22lr but there are better options. If a .22 is all you got then use it, there's too many of those darn animals. If you want a longer range gun, you can't beat a .22-250. It's good to 300 yards.

4. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

.22lr will drop a yote plenty good enough. Sure there are better rounds but dont let anyone tell you a .22lr wont do the job.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

A 22lr is NOT a coyote round. Will it kill one. Sure there was once a man who took a 220 Swift and hunted elephant with it. I think that was the last hunt he ever took.

What we are saying is this.

1. Check your local and state laws it may not be a caliber that is legal to hunt with.
    2. 22lr can kill a yote I have done it myself but it is not the best choice in yote rounds.
    3. There are much better choice out there from the 17 fireball to a 458 lott and 50bmg.
    4. If a gun can put a bullet into something it can kill a yote.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Plan on a lot of them running off!

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You got that right.

The one coyote I shot with a 22lr was at 15' I shot him right in the heart lungs with a Remington yellow jacket hyper velocity round out of a 25" barrel. That yote ran for almost 300 yards before piling up in the middle of a walnut orchard.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

CPT

Yes sir! They are one "TUFF" critter. I have shot them with the 223/5.56 round and they should have been DRT. But they ran also. Their will to live is unbelievable at times.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

.22LR would not be on my list for coyotes. Where I live hunting w/ a centerfire is prohibited for any game, and yes .22RF is also a no no for Whitetail. So options for Coyotes are limited to Shotgun or RF. The .22WMR will take them w/ proper placement, But a 12ga w/ #4 buck lead is much better under 50 yards w/ a full choke.

10. hogrider

hogrider New Member

.22 on Coyotes

Ya'll are right about a .22 not being a coyote round. But if a .22 is what I happen to have, I'm using it. If that puts the coyote in the next county, that's fine with me. You can make a kill shot at 50 yards though and if your shot placement is gooooood, out to 100 yards. 100 is pushing it though. My coyote gun though is normally a .22-250 and it works to 200 yards with a lucky good shot placement to 300.

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I've killed them with 22mag within 100 yrds, but that's just what I had in the truck at the time, them being targets of opportunity. If I saw one and only had a pistol with me I'd probably take a shot just for the hell of it.

12. Jeehs

Jeehs New Member

2 nights ago a wildcat was trying to get into our chicken house, I had my Marlin 60 with me. I shot the cat 5 times. 1 in the Stomach, 1 in the Heart and 3 in the head. The cat still managed to run 50yds until it got stuck in a fence and bled out...

Now, Im a believer in the .22LR as a all-around kinda rifle, that said only with precise shot placement, and Fast, Accurate Follow-up shots.

So the question "can a .22 LR kill a Coyote"- Yes, but is it ethical for the average Weekend warrior? NO. But is it for a Skilled shooter? Sure.

13. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 New Member

HEAD SHOTS, HEAD SHOTS only will put them to sleep with a 22 LR either CCI Stinger's or Rem Yellow Jackets is the only 22 LR that I suggest for coyote's only as a last resort. :eek:

14. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I put one down with my 30-30 at 50 yards, and yes the damn thing fell down and then got back up and ran dropped dead a few yards after that. If its semi auto get a high cap mag and fillem full of lead.

15. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

^^^^^^^Second That^^^^^^

16. Peter11584

Peter11584 New Member

my main coyote population controllers are a 17HMR, a 223, and 12gauge with 3 1/2 inch rem nitro turkey shell

17. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

An Aguila Supermax solid point is ideal for headshots. It's the closest thing to a .22 mag you can get out of an LR despite a few range reports it's a pretty accurate round.

18. FirstSergeant

FirstSergeant New Member

I took this coyote 10' from my ground blind while deer hunting. It took 3 full house .357 Mags to get it done & she was very pissed at the whole ordeal the entire time.

[​IMG]

As others have mentioned, there are better options. If I had to use a .22LR I would use my 10/22 over my single shot Rem 514. I would use a good quality ammo over cheap bulk plinker stuff. I would try for a head shot. After the first attempt on a head shot, I would try to as accurately as possible dump the rest of the mag in the heart lung area & be prepared to reload and get back on target again. I would also limit shots to under 100 yards. Ulnless your a thrill junky, the up close personal thing is way over rated. I'd rather tap them with one of my 223's or even the .308 loaded with 110 or 125 grain projectiles at a good distance.

19. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Play dead.... BOOM BOOM BOOM...... Good dog :D

20. FirstSergeant

FirstSergeant New Member

My friends Aussie actually does that trick, LOL