Cowboy revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by 1911beast, Jun 14, 2014.

1. 1911beast

1911beast New Member

What is the best cowboy revolver for under $600 I would like it to a 45 long colt or a 44 mag

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A used one from someone who "grew up" and stopped shooting SASS. (j/k)

But that would be the first place to look. Some people who are involved in such a competition will buy and sell in trying to get the advantage. Most buy inexpensive firearms to start with and then figure out that inexpensive is probably not the correct way to go.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

ruger new vaquero in 45 colt. hands down. they are competition ready right out of the box. cost around 550$ but i HIGHLY recommend spending a few more shekels and getting the ones with the 45acp and 45colt cylinders

i recomend 45 over the 44 because a big fat 45colt is MUCH easier to reload and manipulate unloadings than thin skinny 44mags or 357 mags

everything else you gotta spend MORE money to get them in shape to run cas. so if you buy anything but a pricy colt or a ruger new vaquero you end up spending colt money on a cheap gun.

voice of one who is a current cas shooter GET THE RUGERS!!

get em in stainless easy to clean.

my pair in 45colt with extra 45acp cylinders

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Those are nice .....

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a blackhawk chambered in 357. I would not want to shoot CAS with a 357. I have no advice on 38spl because I have never fired a 38 spl round in the blackhawk. It also has a 9mm cylinder. I have no idea how a 9mm performs in a CAS match. I do know the 9mm is very gentle in a big gun. I have started using the 9mm to introduce new shooters. 9mm is loud enough to get the new shooter used to the report of a centerfire cartridge without a negative experience.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

serial numbers are consecutive and they now sport esmeralda's cocobola grips

7. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Uberti makes fine guns.

8. towboater

Even the new pietta's are pretty nice.

Here's a link to the SASS classifieds.
    sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showforum=14

9. towboater

Uberti 45

[​IMG]

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

they are decent but your going to probably have issues down the line and they really arent ready out of the box for cas. they need a lot of sharp edges and rough deburring done.

the guns i see deadline are ubertis and colts. ive yet to see a ruger go down.

i run a uberti 1873 rile in 45 colt simply superb but it too needed a thorough deburring and all the fasteners replaced with hardened screws had to go over the carrier and ended up replacing it with an aluminum one. had to replace the plastic magazine follower when it shattered.

your going to see similar issues and end up spending money or diying on the uberti revolvers. i did all my own work on the rifle so it only cost me parts.

cas shooting isnt the same as plinking or target shooting.

11. towboater

I didn't read anywhere about wanting it for CAS.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree, if you want a looker. The Uberti/Cimarrons are very nice Colt SAA clones but but being much like the 1873 design they don't hold up to CAS like the modernized Rugers.

I have a Cimarron Model P in 45 Colt and like the caliber. I wish I'd gotten the model with the extra 45ACP cylinder like JonM recommended. I've been trying to get a cylinder but Cimarron's had them on backorder for over a year.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you acquire another new model ruger XR3 grips bolt right on with minor fitting. I put XR3 rosewood grips on my blackhawk. I was able to fit the grips with an emery board. I will post a picture tomorrow. I need to test the card reader on this computer anyway.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

He said cowboy revolver. I took that to mean cowboy actin shoots since cowboys didn't really use revolvers outside holliwood scripts. They used rifles and shotguns if they needed a gun.

But it still applies ruger is the best saa out there. Especially considering quality to price.

15. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Cowboys still carry and use revolvers. My grandad carried one for most of his life. Round here they carry in the grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. 1911beast

1911beast New Member

What do you guys think of the ruger Blackhawk 45 long colt

17. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I think I'd like one. I also think that I wouldn't want to find ammo and then pay for it. If a gun doesn't use ammo that is available and reasonably priced, I don't buy it.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you reload a 45 long colt is a great cartridge. Using a Ruger pistol the 45 long can be loaded near 44 mag velocities or you can load low recoil rounds for CAS. If you don't reload the 45 long colt is an expensive proposition.

19. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Curiosity got the better of me, but did you keep tabs on the other thread you started? :confused:

20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

JD, I'm wondering, do you load the 45 LC? If do, how much does it run a round? I keep thinking I want to get into reloading, but everything I keep hearing is it's either a hobby for the sake of it, or if you shoot massive amounts of ammo, it can save you money.