Cowboy Action

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by Baxter, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Baxter

Baxter New Member

Anybody here that does Cowboy Action? I am considering it. Looks like tons of fun and let's face it, who wouldn't want to dress up like a cowboy every now and then and shoot stuff! It would probably be more for fun than competition, or maybe just a bit of light competition.I just inherited a Cimmaron Evil Roy, which is what made me start looking into it. So come tax return I'm thinking of pairing it with another, picking up a nice Mernickle holster, and a cheap Baikal MP220. Probably pick up the lever action around late spring. I'm more of a modern firearm person but really enjoy shooting single actions, probably even more so than my semis. I have a local SASS group that gets together the 1st Sunday every month so I have a place to check it out and see if it's for me.Any body care to share some experiences? Anybody start and decide it wasn't for them and why? Thanks in advance

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It does sound like fun! I also recently stumbled across a used Cimarron at a good price. It's the lower priced Model P 45 Colt with a 4.75" barrel. Nice reproduction (made by Uberti) of the Colt SAA which I've always wanted. I doubt I'll go all cowboy but am enjoying the 45 Colt and shooting a single action revolver.

No doubt you'll enjoy your Evil Roys!

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

You will have a ball. The people are friendly and helpful. You can be a cowboy and just have a good time. SASS has a web site. Check out YouTube.
    You can enter the "dark side" and use black powder.
    Have fun!

4. BK3220

BK3220 Member Lifetime Supporter

Go for it! Lots of fun. You will find most are there to enjoy the game rather than going "all-out" to win. As much a social event as competition

5. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Considering how much 'work' I have to do to get one bullet anywhere near my target, with a semi, and with both hands; can people actually hit multiple targets quickly, one handed, with a single action, 'hip' shooting?

6. Baxter

Baxter New Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm looking forward to checking it out. If anybody else live in the Colorado Springs area and is also interested let me know. I'm gonna check out the Colorado Shaketails. They get together the1st Sunday every month. Probably check it out Feb or March. I don't mind lending my firearms if you don't have Cowboy Action Approved guns. But may or may not have the lever till around June

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

I do cas in Wisconsin. I use a pair of ruger new vaqueros in 45colt, uberti 1873 in 45colt, and a cz hammercoach. IIt's a ton of fun, I'm a modern gun shooter but I like cas better. If you don't load your own... Better start, cowboy calibers aren't cheap.

I like the new vaquero better because mine came with 45acp cylinders and the acp gives me a bit of versatility if I'm running short of 45colt

8. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Pistol targets are roughly 16 inches at around 7 yards and you don't have to shoot one handed. Speed is the key tho and some of the shooters are really fast.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You're not kidding about 45 Colt, Walmart has the Winchester cowboy low velocity load 50 rds for $42. Cabelas has Herters/Sellier&Bellot for $35. Ouch!

So that's a great advantage having a 45ACP cylinder. I'd get one for my Cimarron (basically a rebadged Uberti 1873 Cattleman) but it seems they've been scarce as hen's teeth for the last year.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

I cast my own 45 bullets and load my own but it takes a few days to get through the entire proccess if you want high quality bullets to end product. Mostly drying and cooling times. I give my bullets a day to cool and a day for the alox lube to dry. So if I space making bullets I can just run reserve 45 acp using the exact same bullet and powder charge. I always keep some of those on hand just in case.

Local range sells once fired brass and I go by there couple times a month and I can sometimes snag a bag of 45colt brass 500ct for 39$... I've got around 6 or 7 thousand pieces atm.

My loading cost for colt is just a few cents a pop especially since I use reduced loads of trailboss.

Take a look at the rugers, I know its heresy, but I like them better than the colt saa

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  11. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

I'm about to celebrate the 4th anniversary of my first cowboy match. I am having the time of my life shooting cowboy. My wife joined me a little over a year ago so now the fun (and the consumption of reloading components) has doubled.

I would encourage you and anyone else who thinks they may be interested to attend a local cowboy match and check it out in person. Go to the SASS website and click on "SASS Clubs" to find groups in your area. There will be a club contact if you have any questions.

Most cowboy clubs are very interested in having visitors and in helping new shooters get started. Some clubs have clinics or new shooter days to help you get your feet wet once you decide to give it a try. I was bowled over with the reception that I got when I showed up (with no guns, no cowboy clothes but some ammo) to check out the fun.

You can't show up to watch one of our matches without being mobbed by shooters eager to answer questions and encouraging you to give it a try. Every cowboy club I've visited has been this way.

I have shown up at other shooting matches (whether to watch or to compete) and people barely acknowledge your presence. Maybe they have all the shooters they want. That's not the cowboy way.

You don't have to gather all the guns and gear before you are welcome. In fact, it's usually best that you come to a match before you start buying guns and leather. You might buy the wrong stuff!

If I can help anyone on the board with questions about cowboy action shooting (or the related game of Wild Bunch Action Shooting), feel free to send me a PM.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm interested in it as well. The wife and I might start when we get to NC.

Good luck to you. I think you'll probably enjoy it. I've literally never heard someone say they didn't enjoy it after trying it once.

13. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

Hey, JW357; go to www.carolinacowboys.us and click on the NC Cowboy Clubs link; it will display a page showing all the clubs in the Tarheel State, organized by the day of the month when they shoot. There are links to the club websites, too.

Very good clubs in North Carolina. Good folks, too. They will make you welcome.

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks. I appreciate the link. I'll check it out later.

I believe there's one in the area I'll be living in. But I'll check out the link anyway.

15. DocWard

DocWard New Member

A lot of CAS shooters prefer the Rugers. They are far more rugged than the Colts and their clones. Also, .38 is more often than not the round of choice for smokeless shooters these days.