Cowboy action shooting dry fire practice

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by M1GARANDBING, Apr 20, 2013.

1. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

Hey guy,
    Im getting into cowboy action shooting and I wanna get good at it,
    however I live in New York and until I get my pistol permit (which takes about a year) i wanted to do some dry firing mayb with a revolver. Anyone know if I buy a revolver in a different state and weld the barrel shut or fill it with cement can I still own it in New York without a pistol permit and dry fire at home?
    ( I found a $150 SA revolver so I think it's worth getting its a 22lr but I don't mind ruining the firing pin because its gonna be weld shut anyway)

2. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

3. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

you cannot buy a functional gun in another state weld it shut and transport it to new york as the ffl or person your buying it from has to send it to a ffl in new york first before you can take posession.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Zackly------
    Buy a dummie ;)

Joined SASS yet?

6. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

About to I'm thinking of an alias

7. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

Ok I checked them out and they all say not to dry fire them too much it will break mayb ill just take the chance it's like $80 so if it does break I guess it'll look good on the desk.
    I wish I didn't live in New York then I could just buy a real one today!

8. 4tsmith

4tsmith New Member

Check laws.
    For an inert display gun in another state:
    1)Remove cylinder
    2)Plug barrel at forcing cone with wooden dowel plug/Plug chambers with dowel,leaving enough room for poly vinyl snap caps.
    3)Fill barrel and chambers with the same low temperature metal gunsmiths use for barrel slugging.
    When cooled,remove plugs and super glue vinyl snap caps in chambers-reassemble and snap away.
    (In a hurry I glued the snap caps in and then pored the metal but it warped the snap caps a little)

To reactivate: Remove cylinder,drive plugs out of barrel with wooden dowel from muzzle end,cutting pieces off with a soldering iron,clean bore.
    To clear cylinder,take an eye dropper and put a drop of acetone around the snap caps,pop them out,drive metal out with wooden dowel.Clean.make sure everything is clear and gun is good to go.(denatured alcohol will soften super glue enough to clean chambers)
    Legal inert display gun in another state,required by museum insurance-hope this helps.

9. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

Would that make it legal to bring into New York unregistered ? Say from Pennsylvania?

10. hmh

hmh New Member

What about black powder cap and ball?

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What may be legal in my state may not be legal in yours.

Become familiar with your state laws (and remember that the free legal advice from the internet may not be correct).

Of course, they cannot post anything on the internet that was not true. :)

12. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

Ya everyone says different things. I'm going out of my mind, I live in New York I'm 21, getting into guns and into SASS its really hard because New York takes a year for a pistol permit and I can't get a revolver for at least the next year and its mad!! I found a puma SA revolver for $150 I would get it and weld it or whatever is legal, the problem with non shooting or blank shooting guns is that you can't fan them and that's one of the important things in CAS so If anyone from another state would buy it weld it and ship it to New York (so its legal) I would pay more..... Or if anyone has a revolver that the firing pin is messed up or the cylinder is bot safe for real fire I would weld the, and buy them....

13. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Best advice youll get, is from a 2a attorney in your neck of the woods.

14. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

Where god is great and guns are good

15. 4tsmith

4tsmith New Member

Unfortunately New York is one of the seven or eight rogue countries that don't seem to recognize the US constitution.
    When I fixed this gun I was in the radical anti gun country of Hawaii,a place that has gun and property law based on edicts and opinions of the former Queen. At that time in the 90's it passed the state AG and BATF guidelines for an inert gun.
    For all I know now it might even be against the law in New York to say the word gun in public,particularly if it is a gun capable of holding more than 12oz's of soda pop.

There should be a web site to call up state gun laws and find out what constitutes a non functional firearm.Most states have a firearms division of the AG's office or state police that can answer your questions.

16. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

Two reactions from this thread. First, I feel sorry for the OP and all of the other law abiding would-be gun owners in New York. A full year to get permission to buy a gun? Second, it makes me feel fortunate to live in SC.

To the OP: If you haven't already done so, attend a local SASS match before you start buying things. Also, if you get a replica gun for dry fire practice, don't spend time learning how to fan it. Fanning is against the rules-it's unsafe and it's really hard on the gun. What most cowboy shooters do (except those shooting one handed) is to hold the gun in the strong hand and use the other hand's thumb to cock the hammer.

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Check your state laws with great care. If you are convicted of a firearms crime you will be barred from ever owning a handgun. Be very careful of advise regarding decommissioned modern weapons. The firearms receiver is the only registered part of a handgun or long arm.:confused:

18. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

Thanks for your sorry feelings I plan on moving out of this occupied New York someday and live free!! And about fanning, when I first learned about CAS I couldn't believe they weren't fanning until about a week ago I found out its cock pull chock pull..... That's really impressive the way some of them guys shoot,... btw I legally can still get long guns so the lever action is getting faster! At least

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

20. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

A pellet gun would work better, pretty close to a .22 and you don't need a license, (at least in my state, you may in new york)