COVID PROTECTION MASKS ??????

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Sniper03, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

2. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Now 'they' are saying the 6' distancing is not effective either.....more like 16-20 feet is needed. :eek:

dango and 7.62 Man like this.

3. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

dango likes this.
  4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

And you believe infowars?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

dango likes this.
  5. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

The masks they are pushing are worthless.
    Other than conditioning the public to do anything gov tells them to do. Regardless how ridiculous

6. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

I don't believe researchers from Duke university are part of the "infowars".
    And besides if you look at the way things like this are designed it would make sense that a cloth stretched tight over someone mouth would collect moisture from your breath & the pressure of your exhale would spray the finer particles out into the air. Being finer particles they would hang in the air longer & would give a better exposure to the virus and be more easily inhaled than droplets falling to the floor.
    It's called using your head & not believing everything I'm told.
    Besides what credible doctor would be vaping to start with?

Ghost1958 and dango like this.
  7. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm a bit of a mad scientist myself so I did my own testing a while ago .

Fact: these typical masks will not stop a fart ! Hmmmmmmm.........? o_O

8. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I guess some of the flat earthers will be pushed off the edge ? :confused:

9. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Uhhhh....No, No......Over the face! Over the face!

ellis

10. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Here's what we are rocking in Washington state...
    I just wear my neck gator and don't give a damn, while outside I tell folks wearing masks waiting to get in the store "thanks for keeping your germs to yourselves"...:eek::eek::eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  11. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

:eek::eek::eek:

:p:p:p

dango and ellis36 like this.
  12. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

That’s exactly what those masks are for.

PS. That’s funny! If I didn’t hate attention from strangers, I’d wear one.

Caveman Jim and dango like this.
  13. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a couple of boxes of N-95 masks that I used when I am mowing or making dust in the shop. The N-95s are classified as respirators. I learned a long time ago, when I worked on commercial construction, how to properly fit a N-95 mask. They are good protection from airborn droplets that may carry the virus. I have been nursing these masks. When I am out in public, I am wearing one. I don't think that the surgical masks are any good except for keeping you from sneezing into an open wound during surgery. If you don't have a good seal to your face, you can actually increase the velocity around the cracks and inhale more crap. If you wear a full beard you just as well not bother with a mask.

I am in a very hot zone in a very small county. We have had the same number of deaths from Covid as the adjacent county that has five times the population. School starts next week and in about two weeks I expect the numbers to explode like a Beirut storage facility. The deaths will follow in about a month.

dango, jigs-n-fixture and Oldoutlaw like this.
  14. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Conversation with a micro biologist today at my doctor's office. Media will print/air anything some source will provide, lots of misinformation on a constant basis. At this point, according to him, we know more than we did a few months ago but there's a long way to go. Folks with certain conditions are definitely at risk of not surviving but many were not long for this world to start with. This virus causes the iron molecule linking four oxygen molecules to "let go", creating a situation whereby oxygen is present but cannot be absorbed by the body. In response, the body creates an overabundance of platelets to fight the "invader". Platelets are carried throughout the body and eventually block off the circulatory system in even the smallest vessels feeding organs/muscles. So, it's the body's own immune system on overload that actually does the damage. He's doubtful a vaccine will be developed that can protect everyone because every person's bodily response to any given virus is different and viruses mutate - some will become more deadly, others will peter out.

His advice to me on masks was to use the highest filter with the tightest fit against skin. A mask on a Santa Claus beard will protect others from the wearer but do little to protect the "Santa" as there isn't a good seal. Virus can be absorbed through the eyes but most likely through the nasal passages/upper respiratory system by airborn droplet infection. His take on media coverage - mostly sensational B.S. doing more harm than good. Also said this virus has been around for "awhile", not in bats but a university lab in South Carolina shared with Chinese scientists where it first was publicized after it appeared in the general population. Anyway, I learned a lot today which I share with you.

dango and primer1 like this.
  15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It is my amateur opinion that being in a closed space with lots of people is the worst thing you can do to risk your health. Doing that without effective face coverings is begging for trouble. I wouldn't take a long flight on a plane now for love nor money. Bumping arms at a big party borders on suicide if you have dangerous preconditions.

I am in pretty decent health except for being 20 pounds overweight, and near 70 years old, but my wife is diabetic, with all of the issues that comes from a long life with the disease. If one of us gets it, the other will get it and it may well kill her. We are doing the best we know how to do to protect ourselves. That is all you can do until science presents a better solution.

Florida State University is near to me and they are opening full bore next week. Kids are moving into dorms right now; full occupancy. The drunken parties will begin tomorrow night. What could possibly go wrong?

dango and primer1 like this.