COVID deaths in perspective

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by microadventure, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

His opinion will be suppressed or ignored in favor of panic spending by congress and the incoming inept regime. To honestly report the facts about this virus will make it much harder to justify rigging an election and destroying our country as we know it.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  2. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

As things look the incoming may be outgoing before it gets in.

Notrighty likes this.

3. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the statement was about the futility of a law stopping anything. Makes sense to have penalties for miscreant behavior, of course. But that's retaliation, after the fact ... not the halting of such acts in the first place.

At best, all that can be said is that print on paper serves as fair warning to what'll happen if a person decides to be a miscreant. Many will think twice. Great numbers won't think much beyond that, doing it anyway, despite the risks of after-the-fact penalties.

Hardly equates to a wish for zero laws or accountability. Just recognizes the futility of laws on behaviors keeping behaviors from happening.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  4. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

So then the outgoing really isn’t leaving and incoming can’t come in. Wouldn’t that be nice.

locutus, ellis36 and Gatoragn like this.
  5. Ghost1958

I just met myself coming and going:confused:

towboater likes this.
  6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If we want to be honest, I think we can all think back and realize that the threat of a harsh penalty is all that kept us from killing someone at one time or another in our lives.

I can personally remember at least 3 occasions when the fear of the law was the ONLY thing that kept me from smoking some arse-whole..

towboater likes this.
  7. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yea, but all those studies of convicted murderers found that the death penalty doesn’t deter them, therefore it is totally ineffective. So, there is no way that it deterred you.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Studies produced by anti-death penalty liberal think tanks. Not worth a bucket of warm spit IMHO.

9. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Broad strokes...

In the grand scheme of things COVID-19 is a joke compared to real plagues. While the punch line isn't funny, the Black Death was what a real unchecked plague actually looks like. All of us should thank our lucky stars that COVID-19 is such a non-event for 99.9%+ of everyone who contracts it.

Wearing a $1 mask has to be about the simplest and easiest thing to do in the world. When I was in the Navy, we used to jog around the base and wrestle each other in the berthing compartment wearing our gas masks and MOPP suits for entertainment. Apart from getting so drunk that you can't walk, that's what passes for entertainment in the Navy! Some of the arguments I've heard have all the sincerity of kids asserting that they can't go to school because it's snowing outside. It's not a major imposition. It's just not. If wearing a two pound chunk of iron on your hip while you're taking a dump is not an issue, then neither is wearing a mask.

Apart from utterly destroying the global economy, the lockdowns were a case of too little, far too late. There was one chance for that to work, at the beginning of the pandemic, while everyone was still milling about. Collectively, all of humanity blew that chance. What followed was Exhibit A regarding how spectacularly incapable the medical apparatus in every country is, when it comes to handling a major pandemic. Wearing masks, washing hands, and population density make a real difference. The rest is theatrics intended to quell the fears of the drama queens of society, much like TSA checkpoints.

The government is probably not out to get any of us. Evidence? If they truly wanted to get "you", specifically, then they will, and there's nothing you or anyone else can do about it. When last I checked, none of us have stealth combat drones with hypersonic missiles so accurate they can hit a moving person in the head, along with satellites that can read the book you're reading from space, and at least a trillion dollars worth of computing power. It's more like they just don't give a damn about what happens to us, one way or the other, so long as they get to play their games and check off whatever is at the top of their agenda list. For some reason, no matter who gets elected, it's always the most arrogant and self-righteous SOB on Mother Earth. That's not a discredit to the politicians, though, it's a discredit to the general public.

Vaccinations are the only reason tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, of additional lives haven't been lost to disease. Most of us, myself included, would not be here today if not for modern medicine. If our medical scientists are truly trying to hurt people, then they have a wildly-beyond-belief excess of the requisite intelligence, education, training, materiel, and access to kill everyone on the planet without the lot of you here ever knowing about it.

It's fundamentally impossible to remove all risk from human endeavors, and it's foolish to even try to accomplish such a thing. Why it is that some people think they can live in a bubble where nothing and no one could ever hurt them is beyond my understanding. To my way of thinking about this, while I'm alive I want to enjoy life. Sometimes that involves taking some risks every now and then. What's "the worst that could happen"? Well, it isn't dying. That's for damn sure- because there's no escaping that fate. No, the "worst that could happen" would be arriving at the end of your life without maximizing your enjoyment of every day you were given. That really would be regrettable.

Maineiak and ellis36 like this.
  10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Humans have a long history of keeping people honest by threatening to lock them up. The threat works much better when you actually lock some of them up. There are a lot of honest people in the world because dishonesty can bring about undesirable personal situations. I consider myself an honest, law abiding person, but I do not always adhere to the legal posted speed limit, but if the police would lock me up for speeding, I would quit speeding; I would set the cruise control on 69 instead of 78. ;)

So, yes, the threat of incarceration even keeps honest people honest.

11. Ghost1958

Oddly i agree with that last statement.

The threat of jail keeps an honest person honest. But then we dont have a problem with honest folk.
    A lock stops an honest theif.

But the law nor the police prevent anything when it comes to criminals.
    Criminals dont believe they will be caught at whatever they are doing.

And we have too many laws in this nation by far.
    Congress could spend 2 yrs simply repealing laws and we would still have warm fuzzy feeling but do nothinh laws.

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

IMHO this was going to happen with this years virus, regardless of how puny the virus was.

high probability of a new virus in March. it will be fascinating to see how that gets hyped up. back in March it was "mass graves in Iran" and "Nuevo Jerk City is out of morgue space"

back in the 80's somebody in government regretted hyping marijuana as the evil psychosis inducing drug it was hyped to be, because all the lies they told about marijuana were true about PCP. it's going to be like that in March.