Could you engage?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by NGIB, Aug 12, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You've just walked into the kitchen to get a cold beer from the fridge. You hear a loud crash as your front door is kicked open and 2-3 bad guys enter your home. Are you prepared for this event? Do you have a gun immediately available? Are you mentally prepared to engage the BGs?

Most of us that own pistols train with them. I shoot every week and compete in bowling pin matches and other events. I probably average 300 or so rounds of different calibers downrange a week. I am very proficient with the primary guns I'd be using to defend my home and they're like close friends to me.

The question mark is whether I'm mentally prepared - and the answer is maybe. Only those that have had to face a bad guy really know how they'll react. Will I assess the situation, find cover, engage the targets in the best tactical order? Will I shoot as good and as accurately as I can during competitions? Will I crap my pants?

All I know for sure is I have a loaded gun, that I've practiced with, either on my person or within arms reach at all times in my home. I've thought about this situation a lot, hard not to in today's world, and I believe I could perform as I should - anyway, I hope so...

2. TelstaR

TelstaR New Member

I have thought about it, and I decided to spend the extra money to make it more difficult to bust down the door. I do have my HD weapon nearby and feel confident that I can get to it in the event of badguys busting in. I have never been a passive type person, I believe I would act as I have planned. Dont know for certain and hope I never have to find out.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

He drew the .45 from the IWB holster and released the thumb safety. Peeking around the corner, he could see the two intruders easing their way into his home and he saw a weapon...one of them had a gun.

He stepped into the open and put the armed intruder in his sights and shouted "put the gun down!! Put it down now!!" The intruder turned and began to raise his weapon. The home owners weapon discharged, then discharged again.

The other intruder had turned and was running out the broken front door as his partner in crime crumpled to the floor, his chest erupting in blood.

Yea, I think I've prepared myself with active scenario training enough to assess the situation and take decisive action against multiple intruders.

4. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

It's a tough question, I've done my best to prepare myself both physically and mentally, but I won't know how I'll react until it happens.

I've taken all the necessary precautions (good locks, dog, etc.) and started training seriously in the past year. So at least I know I'm trying my best to be prepared.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If you are asking can I shoot someone to protect my wife or myself, I have no doubt that I am able and will.

Would I possibly be disoriented from the initial break in and possibly take some time to react? Maybe. If I was asleep and woken abruptly? Again, maybe. It's hard to be on full alert 24/7. But will I have trouble committing to actually engage? Nope.

I always keep a handgun within grasp or carry one around the house. I have a S&W model 37 that hides out on me most of the time at home. It's small and conceals and carries well. Sometimes my 1911 gets the duty.

6. WDB

WDB New Member

You won't know until that time comes. I've had some great training thanks to the USMC and after my local PD. All the same my house and a surprise? I hope I'm ready, I do my best to keep my home the lesser option, motions lights, security system and a couple of good dogs. I know my neighbors and understand the routine in our neighborhood. Something out of place get the attention of several of us. We don't have a "neighborhood watch" but we talk often, do dinners or bbq's often and see each other on a regular basis.

I go back to the basics minimize your threat and then be prepared for the unexpected. Not always a gun at hand in my home but I expect if three bad guys kicked in my door the Lab and the Rot would keep them busy long enough I would be able to get to a gun No matter what room I was in. I am more than capable of putting down anyone that enters my home by force, clearly they aren't here for good intentions.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Does a bear sh!t in the woods? They would have a tough time getting past our killer poodle first, but if they did, It's on!!

Twilight Training tactics takes place a couple a nights a month, consisting of two pistils / laser sights, darkness, various areas of the house, point, sight and shoot night recon games, with the wife. Sounds fun huh? :)

Jack

8. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

For some reason or another, I keep my ears open to ALL sounds. I know what sounds are supposed to be there and sounds that ARENT. For example, cats meowing/eating or the dogs chewing on bones downstairs. Then there are times where the dogs/cats will make a noise from knocking something over or getting into something. So, I'm always alert. Up until my head hits the pillow and the sun goes down, my mind is focused on the bad guys. ;)

S.S.

9. Win73

Win73 New Member

Yes, I would have a gun immediately available. As long as I have my pants on, I have one in my pocket, either a .380 or a .38. Also there are three other loaded guns strategically located in various rooms of the house, one 9 mm and two .45's. When I go to bed, the one in my pocket goes into the partially opened drawer of my nightstand, about four inches from my bed.

And I wouldn't hesitate to shoot in a situation like that. It wouldn't bother me one bit to blow away scum like that to protect my family.

Once during my police days, I had to make a decision whether to shoot someone. I didn't. As it turned out, his gun wasn't loaded. But as long as he was holding it, I had to assume it was. When I was about to squeeze the trigger, he dropped it.

10. docmagnum357

docmagnum357 New Member

Yippee Ki Ay!, it's on! No problem either accessing a weapon(S&W 1911 45 on th computer amoir as i type), no moral trepidations, I am a fudementqal, Bible believing Christian, and see no reason to hold back in this situation. I live in North Carolina, where we are not a true castle doctrine state, but an armed intruder is toast. No need for me to warn, although I guess it would be a good idea. Only question is do I file notches on the grips of a Smith Doug Koenig edition? Hmmm..... I haven't thought that part through yet....

11. UltraClassic2008

UltraClassic2008 New Member

I sincerely believe I could do it.

12. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

I haven't read the other replies, because I am certain of this. I don't want to, but I would certainly punch a hole in someone if I thought I should, to keep my wife and two kids safe. I consider it little different than shooting a squirrel who is chewing a hole in my bird feeder. I would rather not, but they are causing my personal space and loved ones potential trauma. The fact that they are threatening my family is of more concern than if they were threatening myself. I love all life. If any person threaten my loved ones, I will reluctantly end theirs. I will probably weep afterwards. I will know I did the right thing.

13. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

I firmly believe I could. Disclaimer: I can't carry yet, will be getting my CCW in October. I also live in a dorm, so no weapons at hand. But eventually, I'll be carrying, and always have my weapon within arm's reach.

On the mental side of things, the brain is an absolutely wonderful construct. When circumstances are truly dire, the adrenaline gets flowing, and you don't even think about it, because you don't have to. I take muay thai, and when some idiot frat boy sucker-punched me at a party last year (Long story, apparently the girl who had started dancing with me was his girlfriend, and he didn't appreciate it), I had elbowed him in the jaw and punched him in the nose before either of us knew what happened. Training just takes over like that, and I know that applying lethal force is a totally different scenario, but the same concept holds. Range shooting, draw drills, etc. Just practice what you're going to need and your brain will know how to use it when the time comes.

14. Viking

Viking Active Member

Both my wife and I seem to have a sense about sounds that aren't supposed to be going on, the county road is about 100 yards down hill and when drivers slow down or stop one or the other of us wakes up and checks things out. I even keep an eye on how the deer react, if they are spooky or haven't been around I go around my upper property and check for evidence of unwelcome visitors,mostly of the two legged type but cougar signs as well. The deer pretty much know us and will not move away unless I get too close so as far as I'm concerned they are sort of like watch dogs. We look out for our neighbors and they look out for us. I've killed and cut up deer and elk so the blood and bone splatter aspect of having to shoot a BG should not be a problem in consideration that the wild animals were not bad guys.

15. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Yes, I leave the door unlocked... Front doors cost money!

16. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

The smart man will reply with "I won't know till it happens".

I carry every waking moment, everyday. If I'm sleeping, its between the matress and the head board. I'm I'm showering, its on the counter, if I'm dropping a stink pickle, its in the Hanes hammock.

I have been shooting IDPA for over 2 years, and I do quite well. I reckon that will help me a little if the situation ever arises. I used to get very anxious and nervous before matches, sweaty hands, shaky. But that's been gone for quite some time. I just arrive and perform.

Nothing happens on my block without either of my rat terriers going ballistic. They are my early alert system. Then they would have to get past Molly, my basset. I know what your thinking-- basset? She's meaner than ten drunk indians, if she doesn't know you. And if I'm not home, it doesn't matter if she knows you. She literally cornered two cops in the living room of my old house.

Ill likely be alerted, armed and willing if the event ever presents itself.

17. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Not to sound like a Debbie Downer (or whatever the masculine form would be), but if you're not absolutely 100%, no questions asked, completely committed to dropping the hammer on, and very likely killing, someone that you have concluded means to cause you or someone else death or serious bodily injury, the gun should not come out at all.

18. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Here's the way I see it:

If someone breaks into your home with you home, they either...

1) Know you are home, and are prepared to deal with you.

2) Are too high / stupid / crazy to realize that houses are typically occupied at night, which still makes them dangerous in that they are likely crazy enough to hurt you when you surprise them by opening your bedroom door.

Thus, I'll most likely be shooting first and asking questions later.

I CC and, like Willfully Armed, either have my pistol on me or within a few feet at all times except at school (sucks...) and at work (simply because I don't yet have something small enough to absolutely conceal in dress attire).

Mentally, sometimes I make myself nervous like when I realize I haven't looked around me in a minute or two when Im out playing with my dog or something. But, for the most part, I try my best to stay alert (within human limits), but hope I'll be able to perform.

The closest I've come was one day at work. I was behind the teller line (I work at a bank), and a guy comes in with a motorcycle helmet on, visor down. My first thought was "****, we're gonna get robbed." My second thought was "I hope it is one of the quick, painless robberies and not one of the crazy guys who jumps the counter and tries to beat us up." My third thought was "hmm, if he does that, and it turns out he is violent and not just wanting more money, hopefully he will face away from me long enough I could get behind him and drag my knife across his throat. I hope I don't fumble with my knife." at that point, the guy removed his helmet, revealing himself to be a regular customer who had just got his bike out for the first time for spring. That whole thought process occurred in maybe two or three seconds, and I was both amazed and proud of myself at the direction it took.

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Quoted for Truth!!

JD

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

From my "Read this before you decide to carry" article in the Knowledge Base;

Use your head (your most powerful weapon) and only draw and fire your weapon to save you or someone’s life. This is the only righteous shooting. Anything else will find you in a cage or a box. Long before you put yourself in the ‘shoot’ position, you better have completed all the legal requirements that allow you to be there. In addition you must complete the following personal conditions;

1. Training,
    2. Understand and accept the moral obligation that the issuing authority extracts from you when you applied for the CCW license,
    3. Training,
    4. The moral mettle to take a life,
    5. Training,
    6. Know and keep up on the laws covering carry in the location you are armed (political boundaries and building restrictions),
    7. Training,
    8. At a bare minimum have a gun rights lawyer’s phone number on your cell’s speed dial,
    9. Training,
    10. Retain that lawyer if you can afford it,
    11. and did I mention training?​