Could you actually do it?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by molonlabexx, Feb 21, 2013.

1. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I got a question from a friend a while back. He asked if I could actually take a life in pure home defense. At first it made me think and then I realized, better his than mine (please note I am not pre meditating anything). Could you guys do it? Why? I am simply curious to see what your thoughts on a bad guy in the house and how you guys mentally handle this sort of thing

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

3. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I know it is somewhat of an obvious question but I have heard of people that used to be worried that they would freeze up. Something to give thought into. That is why training Is key.

4. urquidez

urquidez New Member

I have s 2 yr old and a wife if someone breaks into our home i would not hesitate or ask questions i will just do it

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Those of us who have served... be it Military or LEO... understand that taking human life is NOT a natural act for a sane person.

All of us went through months or years of training to able to do this without hesitation, should a threat warrent it.

Those who have done it are loath to discuss it... those who have not, hope they never need to.

...and despite training, there still those who, at the moment of truth, hesitate

All I can tell you is that if you had no training, get some, and if you've had some training, get more.

We would all like to think we've got what it takes to do this in order to protect ourselves and our loved ones but until the choice is forced upon you, you just don't know... and the only peperation for it is found in training.

Did I say, get some training? ;)

Tack

6. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Glad you feel this way. Using a God given right in a screwed up world. Glad to see people taking an approach to protect.

7. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I have a friend in the military who says the similar. Training and repetition are key here. Thanks for the tips.

8. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Too many people seem to answer this quickly. It is really easy to say "yeah, f*ck em" conversation over. The truth is, there is not a whole lot that can be done to prepare for such a thing mentally unless youre trained for it. I like to think that I would without hesitation but I've never had to do it. I have feared for my life before, felt the heart race and the muscles get quick and jittery. So, I know dealing with adrenaline is a *****.

I'll say I'd be most worried about hitting my dog, but I have come to terms that if it comes down to it she's gonna die. Cause if the bad guys willing to hurt me they won't think twice about hurting a dog trying to bite their face off.

The dog gets their first cause shes faster. The bad guys possibly kill or injure her. After that no, I got no fing problem shooting someone who hurt my dog in my own home. That's how I see my situation playing out at least.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  9. jeffm

jeffm New Member

You never want to and if you do it you will be emotionally messed up but if it means protecting my family and myself I can do it. I have talked to officer's before hand (taking classes) and they all cried when talking about being in a shooting, they were getting shot at and luckily the guy missed and then they shot back killed the guy so they were protecting themselves but still a hard thing to deal with.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Seriously someone who has "never fired a shot in anger" might hesitate or just flat out fail to--I think MANY would at best hesitate tho who knows till they're tested? I promise nobody is going to say they might ;)

11. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I look at it like this. There is plenty in life I don't want to do but may have to. I didn't want to change dirty diapers but I did it and even learned to do it without gagging for awhile. I never enjoyed it.

I hate driving in rush hour traffic, but I drove it for years because I needed to support my family.

I would not shoot to kill. I will shoot to stop the attacker. Unfortunately for them the location I am best able to hit AND best able to get them to stop also contains so many of their vital organs. Killing them also ensures they are no longer a threat, so I won't hesitate. I've dealt with enough scumbags that I'm not even sure I would feel bad. That said, what I REALLY don't want is for my family to ever be in so much danger that I have to make that choice.

12. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

As far as this situatiuon is concerned: My greatest hope is that the security and sanctity of our home is never violated. My second greatest hope is that I will live a full, productive, loving and giving life after I have been forced to kill someone to maintain that security and sanctity. I will do my utmost to secure my family and home! We do what we must out of love and committment.

13. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Seems your system is down to Earth. You realize the reality of it all. And yes, kill my dog; I'll rip your f'ing head off.

14. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Yes. We never know how we will preform unless under real world conditions.

15. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Amen to that brother. Someone's got to take out the trash, but not everyone is ready.

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some training I have received in the past has prepared me for such a situation. I have tried to instill a little into my wife (not too much as the pupil has been known to outdo the teacher.)

But, YES, I could do it in defense of me or mine.

17. rurak

rurak New Member

The only thing that would make me hesitate is a lawsuit :(

18. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I know from experience that defending myself I might hesitate, in defense of another, you don't want to be on the receiving end.

19. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

well that just comes down to knowing your state and local laws. Beyond that, I'd rather face a jury than the man upstairs. Not ready yet.:cool:

20. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I think cattle just put our thoughts down on paper here. Why are these dam# laws always supporting criminals? What happened to the good days where you shoot a bad guy, the end? I see our world changing. I believe in a new beginning.