Cost per load

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by tinbucket, May 18, 2020.

1. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Years ago i bought a pallet of powder, bullets and primers after a regional company was driven out of business by Mao-Mart. Sold all the pistol bullets, primers and powder because i don't load hand gun ammunition. i'm reloading .223 ammo for about ten cents per round and .308 for about 15 cents.

armoredman and towboater like this.
  2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I just started playing with 410 shotgun loads. Still waiting for supplies to get here. 410 is easy and I dont think 20 or 12 would much harder. 410 is way over priced which is why I started playing with it. The inside diameter of a 410 plastic wad cup is .36 so I am going to try a 148 grain hollow base wad cutter for a slug load. Wad sleeve acts like a sabot. Info I have been able to find says they stay stable to 40 yards. Also looking ad permanently attaching a fiber wad to a regular bullet like Brenneke does to their slugs. 158 grain .357 copper plated HP at 1500 fps sounds interesting. Like I said I am playing. No real use for them.

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Then there's the rumored "old poacher .410 trick" - pouring out shot from .410 shell, loading into your gun and sticking an arrow down the barrel for "archery" season. Never did see anyone actually do this but I have seen two ramrods launched from muzzleloading rifles.Ramrods kick a whole lot but go really far.

towboater likes this.
  4. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

I don’t really save much money so much as I am able to shoot more. Plus I shoot more accurately than using shelf ammo, that’s enough for me.

5. armoredman

armoredman Well-Known Member

Um...I'm gonna cause some hate and discontent...I have two friends that like shooting my guns, so they buy me components. Plus, I am still working through the windfall of stuff I got a from a huge estate sale style reloading giveaway...I am reloading 9mm for the cost of the electricity to run the lead pot and the toaster oven to cook the powder coat. I'm guessing, maybe $.25 a thousand? Same for 7.62x39mm.

6. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I finally started to collect the equipment I will need to start reloading.
    I have spent about $300 so far and I am taking my time to accumulate what I need.
    I figure I could have spent the $300 on ammo, but when it's gone, it's gone.
    At least this $300 investment will be here to stay.
    I don't expect to save too much money on ammo by reloading.
    And powder coating seems like something I want to try.

7. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

The satisfaction will be when you drop your 1st animal with your own handloads. You can control how much powder and what projectiles you can use and after a while you'll start collecting more guns and reloading for them.

You can fine tune your rifle's accuracy by reloading and there's much to learn with reloading as well. It's not as easy as it seems as there's little tricks here and there to learn.
    Reloading is a very slippery slope leading to collecting more calibres to reload for.

jigs-n-fixture likes this.
  8. Missouribound

God I hope that doesn't happen. I shoot handguns for target sport and carry for self defense.
    The only "animal" I would be shooting at is one that intends to harm me or my family.
    I am truly hoping I never have to "drop" one.

9. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Ok I thought you were loading for bear so to speak but in this case you would hope that you would never have to draw to defend but the quote still stands that you will improve the performance of the gun by loading your own.

Missouribound likes this.
  10. Missouribound

Thanks, and there is no way you could have known.