Cost of Thanksgiving Dinner

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by MisterMcCool, Nov 27, 2013.

1. $0-$50

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. $51-$75

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. $76-$100

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. More than $100

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The American Farm Bureau Federation has determined that the average Thanksgiving feast will cost just $49.04!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/11/16/thanksgiving-cost/3594637/
    "The group estimates the cost by averaging non-sale food prices around the country based on feeding 10 people a meal of turkey, bread stuffing, sweet potatoes, rolls with butter, peas, cranberries, carrots and celery, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and coffee and milk."

Seems impossible to me. I easily spend twice that. How about you?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

23lb yard bird was $18, plus everything else, I'm going to spend over that.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My son bought two turkeys to cook. The rest of us all bring side dishes. I, myself, am bring the stuffing, corn souffle and cranberries. Also Chex mix. It helps defray the cost and the work on the host and hostess. And we all like bringing our "specialty" dishes. But I agree, feeding 10 people a full Thanksgiving dinner is well over $50, I'm sure.

Hmmm......I'm wondering if they are considering "serving size". I mean, if a serving of stuffing is, say half a cup and a serving of cranberries is 1/4 cup and each person takes only one roll and a pumpkin pie serves twelve people, well, then maybe. But if everyone's family is like my family, we eat BIG on Thanksgiving.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  4. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

At HEB they had a deal if you bought a ham then 12lbs of your turkey was free so I actually saved a lil money getting my christmas ham early and a 19 lbs bird.

5. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I think what they meant to say is that thanks to the state of the economy the average family only has $50.00 to spend on Thanksgiving and therefore the cost of the average meal will be $49.04! :(

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I live in Germany, married to a German. So, no Thanksgiving dinner for me. We did compromise though. This year we are having ham.

7. vincent

vincent New Member

Exactly what I was thinking...

A can of Beenie Weenies and a pack of Nabs comes pretty cheap...:mad:

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

We are expecting 10 people (about 9 too many) for Thanksgiving.
    The group quoted did not take into consideration 1 important item:

My wife!

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I am guessing maybe 12.75 to 13 dollars and some change. (Papa Johns Pizza and left overs all day tomorrow)

10. MisterMcCool

That is just sad. :(

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Eating for free at Mom's FTW! Now, all I have to do is time it right; too late and all the deviled eggs will be gone, too early and I will have to spend time with family.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I guess so; little Caesar's would only cost $5. :D

13. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Why So? I luv pizza, and I just got to see my father and one of my brothers all this weekend until today. I'm good :)

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Now that would be truly sad, eating cardboard with tomato sauce :eek:

15. MisterMcCool

That was why. But you did have some family time. :)

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have spent some holidays alone in the past when I had to work and my young kids went to their Dad's for the holiday. It really didn't bother me at all.

17. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

44$$ Heck even the "ready made" deli dinners are 50.00! I must live in the wrong part of the country because this year I got a smaller bird, way less pie fixings (making 2 pumpkin, skipping the pecan, now THAT is SAD!) and going with:
    1-16lb bird
    stuffing in bird and a good sized casserole pan
    5-7 lbs of taters
    Yams
    Green Bean Casserole
    1-jelly cranberry and 1 homemade sauce
    crescent rolls
    olives

And I am above 100.00 and shopped at WalMart and price matched for several items.

I'd like to see the grocery receipt for their shopping trip. Perhaps they averaged people that couldn't afford a dinner and those that spent the 100.00+

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

That is where I made the mistake of introducing my Frau to Thanksgiving.
    She had no idea how to bake a turkey, so I had to do it.

After making a big mess in the kitchen ("If you don't like it, then you do it!" argument followed), she decided she liked turkey and took over the annual baking.

It's been going on ever since.

19. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

No green bean bundles? :confused:

20. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

We hunt and grow a garden every year. The price varies depending on how many tags we fill, and how much we were able to produce. Our average cost for 7 people is about $50.