Firearms Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started purchasing ammunition again. I have found 9mm at .23 cents and free shipping a few times. Other caliber ammunition has also come down considerably from pandemic highs(I saw 9mm for $1 per round once).
I have noticed however almost all defensive 12 gauge shells are still all above $2 per shell. Some even closer to $3 per shell if you don't buy a quantity lot.
Anyone know why the cost of brass has come down quite a bit but the cost of shells has not?

· Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I have recently started purchasing ammunition again. I have found 9mm at .23 cents and free shipping a few times. Other caliber ammunition has also come down considerably from pandemic highs(I saw 9mm for $1 per round once).
I have noticed however almost all defensive 12 gauge shells are still all above $2 per shell. Some even closer to $3 per shell if you don't buy a quantity lot.
Anyone know why the cost of brass has come down quite a bit but the cost of shells has not?
Could be the cost of lead is still high. I suspect demand is down some because those that are going to buy guns mostly have them, have ammo by now, and have "enough". A lot of people aren't really into guns other than one for SD and that's it. They aren't hoarders, they just want to protect themselves from the trash and threats out there.

· Supporting Member
15,480 Posts
Diesel
You are absolutely right!
Last week I bought two boxes (10 Rounds) of Remington 00 Buck for my closet Remington 870 Police Magnum.
They were $1.80 a round.
I know I have advised 00 is probably not a good choice for in home defense and I still agree. But I have pistols available in my bed stand and only me and the wife at home now days.

Reactions: sheriffjohn

· Premium Member
4,404 Posts
Supply and demand. Period. Even hoarders reach their limits. Some seasonal supplies are showing up - waterfowl shells, deer season ammo, varmint loads, etc. Only when the supply of the most popular ammo sits on shelves will we see "our stuff" show up again. Until then, well ...good luck finding some things at all, even at stupid high prices.

· Premium Member
2,906 Posts
I still load my ammo cheaper per round than any in the stores. Even if it gets on par or a few cents cheaper, I'll still reload for 2 primary reasons: 1. My load work ups are more accurate and 2. I just enjoy reloading.

Brass, bullets, even powder haven't been a big issue for me to find, it's the darned primers I can't find (and I refuse to order primers online because of shipping, hazmat and quantity limits).

At this point, I'm willing to pay stupid prices, especially for CCI #41's...I just can't find anyone that has any within 100 miles. I'll accept Federal 205's, but even those are not to be had anywhere locally either.

Need to get some very soon as I'm about to pick up another upper in 223 Wylde, so between that and my son shooting his, that particular round will see more use than the others I have.

· Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I was able to find 9 pellet OO buck and 1oz fluted slugs a few weeks ago for $126/250 and $87/200 respectively.
I was pretty happy with that. It was at Global Ordnance.

As for the price structure, IDK. Seems like the past couple shortages that shot shells were mostly immune to the crazy prices. Only thing i can think of is material cost. Lot more lead and powder in a shotshell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts