Cost of Reloads

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by mdemotte, Jan 18, 2012.

1. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

Hey guys Im trying to figure out what the cost of a box (50rds) 9mm factory new vs what you what pay for 50rds hand reloads. Assume you reuse range brass. I did some primitive math and Im guessing you save $2 a box $11 Sellier Bellot vs $9 reloaded with mid to lower price components??

Fyi. I have never reloaded before.. Trying to see if its cost effective

2. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Bro, if your not talking of rounds in the 1000's rather than 50's don't even worry about reloading.

Scubie

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

NOT COUNTING the cost of a press, dies, and a scale- and assuming you have (or can scrounge) brass-

AROUND $10 per hundred. Here is a calculator you can use-

Handloading Cost Calculator

You can check what it will cost you to buy powder, primers and bullets where you are (you do NOT want to pay shipping on HAZMAT- trust me)

I pulled price of components from local store, used Unique powder, with a middle of the road load, 115 grain Hornady bullet- and got $9.77. Allow for a couple of spoiled rounds, odd penny for case lube, cleaning, etc.

9mm Parabellum is cheap pistol ammo to buy- but you CAN save a buck or two- and make good quality ammo. You really save when you get into some of the more expensive rounds- I have a Winchester 71, caliber .348 Winchester- and when you can find it, it can run $50-$75 per 20 rounds.

4. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

Thats what i figured.. Doing it for a monthly trip to the range and 300 rds seemed not to be cost effective. I may only do 3k rounds a year. Id have to pool with other shooters to get economies of scale! Thanks for the help

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

To me the benefit is not in $ savings, but self satisfaction of being self sufficient. 9mm is a bad example because it is not very expensive to begin with so savings are minimal. I load for 12 different handgun calibers and 14 different rifle calibers plus 12 ga shot shells and slugs. I cast my own bullets for most of these. Some calibers have huge cost savings (like .45-70) and I can custom load specialty ammo that is not commercially available at any cost.

6. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

Another benefit is when there is no ammo in the store you can make you own

7. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Just interesting in know what those 12 might be. There only about 9 or 10 commonly used calibers for handguns.....unless you're including shot shells such as 410 used in 'judge' type handguns.

8. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I think the biggest benefit of reloading is not saving money, but rather being able to make ammunition that works very well in a specific gun. Being able to make ammunition for any gun is important because the availability of it is not guaranteed.