Cost of investing in another caliber

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Shopfox, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

I ended up ordering a complete BCA upper.

The would-be donor upper shoots well: ~1-1/4" @ 100 yards, so I didn't want to bugger it up. I'll borrow the optic off my 444 Marlin for the time being.

I'll get a few boxes of factory ammo for the time being as well. The key takeaway for myself, it's not a SHTF rifle, so don't stockpile the ammo for it, like it is. Ditto w. reloading; if the ammo is relatively inexpensive, don't go hog wild loading / shooting it. .223 makes paper holes for less $$$. As the kids get older, I can get them .350 uppers as well, and we can share the hunting ammo supply.

If I like it, the 444 Marlin may get moved on. Ditto for the .44 Mag single shot.

$250 upper
    Recycle optic
    (1) magazine $20
    Factory ammo (2 boxes for now) $40

Possibly sell 444 Marlin for $200-$225 would recoup most of it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    towboater likes this.
  2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Always interested in singles but they have to be shipped and ffl gets involved. Single ought to be exempt just like black powder. That said what is it and how much?

Shopfox likes this.

3. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

My local FFL will receive for $10 and the good will.
    You can ship a long gun to the FFL your ownself, I think even through USPS, but I'm not sure about that.

towboater likes this.
  4. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

There's one bit of advice that rings so true with we that shoot/hunt/kill innocent paper targets and get a donor rifle for a project and that golden rule is: NEVER SHOOT THE DONOR RIFLE!

Why?.............. you ask for those who've never done or experienced this.

The answer is because in a lot of cases the donor rifle may well shoot better than what you think or after putting a few "curiosity" rounds through it you like the rifle and calibre and can your project rifle plans for this particular rifle.

Stay the course do NOT fire the donor rifle..........................use the FORCE Luke resist the Dark Side.

OLD Ron, towboater and Shopfox like this.
  5. Shopfox

I wish I'd heard this a week ago.

towboater likes this.
  6. Shopfox

It's just an H&R 1871 single. They aren't worth a whole lot (the weathered wood on mine doesn't help the cause either) -- probably $200 for the rifle. I'm thinking I might be able to sell the dies, bullets, brass, powder, and factory loaded ammo as part of a package deal (e.g. ask $300), if I sell it locally close to deer season.

I'll wait for the BCA to arrive and get sighted in before I move the 444 on. If TXhillbilly's quality/accuracy warnings come true, I'd still like to have the 444 on hand till the 350 is debugged and good-to-go.

freefall and JTJ like this.
  7. JTJ

BCA has had some good reports. I think you will be OK.

towboater and Shopfox like this.
  8. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Sold my 444 long time ago and have no wish to buy another. :)
    I regularly load 410 with 444 brass> as long as it isn't leverevolution brass. The leverevolution brass is shorter and yes you can load it but the decreased capacity / shorter case length can cause some issues. I decided to stick with real 444 brass to keep my life simple.

EDIT: I use heavy card stock for wads and to top off the pellets with a VERY slight crimp and a few drops of wax on top of that

JTJ and Shopfox like this.
  9. oO_Rogue_Oo

Did I just talk you into buying a 350? LOL

10. oO_Rogue_Oo

I could be interested in the brass if it isn't leverevolution. No use for the gun or dies though; sorry.

11. JTJ

Thanks Rogue. You are not using the shot cups, just card stock? I was trying to decide on felt over powder wads, card wads or cups and card over the shot.

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

He never stated at what distance he shot at. It was an indoor range,so I doubt it was 100 yards,more than likely it was 25 or 30 yards.

13. oO_Rogue_Oo

I load mostly short range SD loads and card stock seems to work fine for that. Although I do have a hunting 410 I don't do a lot of varmint hunting. I suppose if you were looking at mid to long range use the shot cups might help.

EDIT: I don't even own a shotshell press; I do all mine by hand in my Rock Chucker with 444 dies for sizing and the little bit of crimp I put on them.

JTJ and Shopfox like this.
  14. JTJ

That was my plan. 444 dies and my press. Maybe #8 shot although I have 200 .375" pistol balls someone gave me. 3= 1/2 oz and should fit.

oO_Rogue_Oo likes this.
  15. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

16. Shopfox

I don't think it was an indoor range. The shadows/light on the concrete floor look like it's from natural lighting. I think he was shooting out from a covered area.

It's 3-shot groups too, so there's a legitimate gripe.

When it comes, I'll post a range report and some 5-shot groups; the good, bad, and ugly.

JTJ likes this.
  17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

If you pause the video when the target is on the bench,you can read the writing on it,and it looks like it was at 30 or 50 yards. Not precision,but good enough to stack meat in the freezer.

Shopfox likes this.
  18. Shopfox

Some real-world data for the cost of another caliber... I ordered 4 boxes of ammo for testing: 1 box of cheap fmj to get on paper, and 3 hunting ammo's for testing. Bought 1 magazine to get started. Just about $100 w. tax and shipping. Screenshot_20200419-165404_Chrome.jpg

19. JTJ

I looked up the 350 loading and you have to treat them the same as a 9mm pistol round. They head space on the case mouth so case length is important and you need a taper crimp. Otherwise nothing special I noticed.

locutus and Shopfox like this.
  20. Shopfox

I'm trying to figure out if they can be loaded with 124gr Hornady XTP's or 125gr Hornady Action Pistol bullets. I looked through the loading data I could find, and saw Barnes 125gr loads. I also saw part of a youtube video of a guy shooting 115gr FMJ's. It'll be interesting to see what develops on the handload side.