Cost of investing in another caliber

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Shopfox, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm kicking around re-barreling an AR-15 to shoot .350 Legend. The barrel is on sale for $78. That part is easy to swallow. What's giving me pause is the "cost of ownership".
    - Stocking factory ammo ($120)
    - Reloading dies, brass, powder, gauges, trimmer, and bullets ($150)
    - Magazines ($40)
    - Different / appropriate optic ($200)
    - new gas tube/roll pin ($15)

Basically, that $80 barrel will eventually drive another $500 in spending.

Am I looking at this wrong? Am I missing something?

bluez likes this.
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you are in the correct zip code with your estimates.

Do it, you know you want to.

Shopfox likes this.

3. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Do you live in a State that requires straight walled cartridges for hunting? (dumbest thing I ever heard)

Shopfox and Rifling82 like this.
  4. Shopfox

I do, that said the straight wall restriction is only for deer. I already have a single-shot 444 Marlin, and 44 mag. I like the thought of using an AR and having semi-auto. It just feels like a really expensive pill to swallow for a 9-day season (of which I go out 4 or 5 days).

5. Shopfox

I really want to. It just seems really stupid when I look at the finance side of it.

I try to justify that I could do it a little at a time (reload later, scope later), but that $500 figure just keeps eating at me.

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

And the cost of buying the same rifle in that calibre from the manufacturer would be probably double that if it's done in that calibre then add the cost of the incidentals and it's probably cheaper to do it yourself.

On the other hand I did my 22/250 AI up from basically a $300 buy of a shot out 22/250 Ruger M77.
    New barrel in a heavy varmint was around $650 fitted in a 1:12 twist, Timney trigger $200, reloading dies around $80, Zeiss Duralyt variable scope $900, bedding and floating in the original stock around $250, then there was powder, projectiles, cases so in the end it cost me around $2k.
    Would it have been cheaper to buy a new 22/250 and get it reamed out to AI................probably but it was a project rifle built to lay waste out to 300yards plus on rabbits on warrens, foxes and Kangaroo culling and it was done to what I wanted and bugger the cost.

Do it because you want to a man needs a hobby and like anything in this world you can spend any amount of money in your chosen sport/hobby it's just how deep your pockets are and what yanks your crank.:D

I should also add my next project rifle is a .458 AccRel.
    I got the action for nothing, the barrel I've already got that cost $155 brand new.
    The big costs to come are fitting safari sights, wood work, fitting the barrel to action(M98),scope mounts and scope then dies, cases, powder and projectiles so it'll probably end up costing me up around $2500+.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    OLD Ron, Rifling82, JTJ and 1 other person like this.
  7. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought Well-Known Member

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t have as many calibers as I do already.

8. Shopfox

I'm thinking the same thing.

Ideally I'd want a caliber that can shoot out of an AR, single shot, lever-action, or bolt action, is straight-wall, mild to moderate recoil, factory ammo exists and is reloading friendly.

9. Shopfox

@hairbear1 , at least I can take some comfort I'm not in for $2,500 :D I've got 4 young boys, so the food budget is impinging on the firearm budget.

Pasquanel and Rifling82 like this.
  10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

You lost me at an $80 barrel. Unless you buy a Quality name brand custom barrel,you're just throwing money away. I've been there,done that!
    A good,accurate barrel is going to run you around $300 unless you find one on sale for a little less.

If you can't build it right,then don't build it at all. Especially if you want to buy cheap parts!

Mongo and locutus like this.
  11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Shopfox, JTJ, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  12. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I’m with locutus.

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. Shopfox

I "need" to be able to hit an 8" target at up to 200 yards. Realistically, my longest deer kills have only been 150 yards. That sets the performance bar (and price) pretty low.

14. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Been there done that as well and it takes a bit longer to get that result BUT if you really want to do a thing like a one off for yourself save your money and get the best you can afford as nothing hurts worse than going cheap and it bites you on the arse when you need it the most and that goes for anything in life.

locutus, Shopfox and Rifling82 like this.
  15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

$80 barrel might not hit an 8" target at 100 yards.

I've had so called "Match Grade" 223 Wylde barrel's from Seekins Precision,and AR-15 Performance that did good to shoot 4" groups with hand loaded match grade bullets.

Sure is funny that the same profile,twist,gas system,and length barrel's from a real barrel maker like White Oak,Shilen,Lilja,etc. will shoot the same bullets sub-moa.
    I will never buy another AR barrel that isn't from a known barrel maker,it's not worth the time and money spent trying to get the cheap barrels to shoot.

locutus and Shopfox like this.
  16. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Could always sell the 444 to fund the project.

Shopfox likes this.
  17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Is Rogue shopping for a single shot 444?:rolleyes:
    I have gone through this scenario several times. The gun is the cheap part. Locutus if right though. You dont need a lot of ammo for a hunter unless you are a really bad shot.
    Right now I am looking at reloading for a single shot 410 shotgun. By the time you get all the stuff it is a couple hundred dollars not counting a loading press and it is just something to play with. I really dont want a MEC shotgun loader so I am looking at whether or not 444 marlin brass will fit. If it does then I will probably end up with a 444 marlin rifle since I would have the loading gear. Snowballs doesn't it.

18. Shopfox

Interested in a 444 Marlin w. brass and dies??? ;)

19. Shopfox

That probably makes the most sense. I could use the scope off the Marlin for the 350L too, and save some of the cost.

20. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

This is how a proper analysis is done.
    The implied result of course is if being able to run that caliber is not worth $500 to you then dont do it.

Mongo, locutus and Shopfox like this.