Cost of GAU-8 ammunition?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Vincine, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

As I consider furthering my long range marksmanship knowledge & skills, I am considering a GAU-8. They’re mounted on the A10 Warthog. As A10s will be taken out of service soon, I expect there may be a glut of GAU-8s on the market and the price will come down. The GAU-8 uses depleted uranium 30×173 mm rounds. Although it can fire up to 4,200 rpm, it has been changed to a fixed rate of 3,900 rpm. That’s 3,900 rounds per minute.

I’m just wondering; does anybody know what one round costs? Are they being horded as well? Who has them in stock? Would I be able to get this with a FFL3 license?

Or should I stick with a bolt action?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm a Vulcan fan myself,,, of course Bloopers are my first love,, I expect the internet may have some ammo outlets that specialize in those types of rounds,
    but the bolt action may be a little more cost effective as you eluded.

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

You may be right. I thought I would reload, but I'm having trouble finding any dies for it though. Niether Dillion OR Hornady have them.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

If I'm not mistaken both 20mm and 30mm are larger than .51" and don't use loose powder for proppellant which makes them a cannon for nfa purposes. Since the gau is also full auto and none were ever registered pre-86 as a civilian transferable meaning your right to keep and bear arms was infringed you can not get one.

You could make a 20 or 30mm but I believe it would fall under destructive device nfa rules.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, best start working out now- curls and crunches. The GAU-8 system weighs 4029 lbs.

Last numbers I saw were for ammo purchase in 2001, and there are at least 4 different cartridges for the GAU-8. The API cartridge was $26.04 a cartridge, and the Training/Practice round was $11.46.

Unfortunately, the GAU-8 is not only a Destructive Device (requires an ATF transfer as a Class III) but it is full auto- and only the full autos already registered by May 1986 CAN be transferred to a private citizen. So unless you can convince DoD that you are an army, you will not be picking up a GAU-8 at a surplus sale.

Oh- and each round of ammo is a Destructive Device- so pony up a $200 tax on each round of ammo.

6. yazul42

Yep,, the bolt action is looking like a much better option vincine, although I give you kudos for the idea,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

7. yazul42

By the way c3,, I still think about your brace of shortened M-79's,, just outstanding.

8. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

shoot design a 30 mm bolt action I mean there are already 20mm bolt actions whats 10 more mm

9. c3shooter

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I was going to post this before you guys chimed in. It's what I found so I’m going to post it anyway.

I’ve found ONE price on the internet. It lists the round at $65 each. (It wasn’t specified whether that was for the regular stuff or the match quality.) One minute of operation would cost me $253,500, and I’m sure I’d have to practice for more than one minute to get any good with it. That’s significantly more than what I paid for the 22lr and even the 9mm that I have and it’s a little beyond me right now anyway, even at todays inflated prices. Besides, Midway didn’t have any and you couldn’t even backorder it. Neither did any of my usual bulk ammo suppliers. Maybe if Cheaper Than Dirt gets some in, I don’t know.

I wouldv'e asked if it could be converted to semi, but as I can't afford to feed it anyway, I'm just gonna forget about it. It's a shame though. It wouldv'e solved my wind drift issue.

11. seancslaughter

my post should have been in green text but I have no clue how to do that yet lol

EDIT by Mod- you have to be Irish......

:p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
  12. seancslaughter

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

What about a 20mm Oerlikon Mark II, I know there are some of them around, I seen one on Sons of Guns.................

Attached Files:

14. seancslaughter

They also have the solothurn and a few others that are floating around in 20mm

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

You need to weigh your needs to defend yourself and the family against the cost. Is your life worth just $253K? I didn't think so. But only you can make that decision. (Insert a smiley)

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I wouldn't start planning the A-10's retirement party just yet. It's been tried before and it didn't take.

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Since full auto trumps Destructive Device, no pre-86 available. If you had one, you WOULD be an army and would then qualify. I guess the 2nd purchase would be easier.

As long as you were not buying HE ammo, the individual rounds should not be individividually taxed.

18. c3shooter

Well, shoot- if you want LONG range, getcha one of these- long enough range that you need to take rotation of the earth into account- howitzer.jpg

Now, if you do not want to get into the whole Class III Destructive Device thing, you just need one that uses loose powder and ball, like this-

mortar-Keaton-Buster-General-The_012.jpg

19. seancslaughter

i mean its all a peashooter compared to what I used to use [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d93UwCMUmMY[/ame]

and this is the receiving end with cluster ammo
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMShVkgvQEs[/ame]

skip to 1:45 to see direct impact munitions and thats the smaller rocket munition hitting [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-vB-bie_Oo[/ame]

this is one type of missile we fired (different from rockets)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipr_hPAcR_Q