Cost for reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by amstutz, Mar 30, 2013.

1. amstutz

amstutz New Member

I, like everyone, have found it impossible to find practice ammo. BUT I have located and purchased 1000 rounds of brass, bullets, primers and powder. The brass is cleaned (acid bath) and tumbled.
    My question is how much is reasonable to pay to have a friend load the ammo for me?
    I have "invested" $230.00 in the materials. All I need is a reliable person to reload at a "reasonable" cost. WHAT IS A REASONABLE COST PER 100?

2. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Depends on how good of friends you are. I reload some of my friends for a little over cost.

3. amstutz

amstutz New Member

maybe friends is a relative term. I know the guy but I want him to spend his time reloading for me at a fair price.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

hmm. whats the local minimum wage??

for me its hard to really set a price on reloading...

if i was helping a friend i would just tell him what to buy and bring a 12 pack over.

5. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Yep. Don't crack one open till the reloading is done though :)

6. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

amstutz, have you thought about investing another $200, and reloading yourself?

7. amstutz

amstutz New Member

yes I have thought about reloading. If I thought I could do it for $200 I'd jump at the chance. Two problems equipment is out of stock and, from what I read here $200 is not nearly enough. Press, dies, scale, tumbler and media, manuals and that is just the beginning.
    I have a guy who wants to load for me for $10.00 per 100. I'm trying to figure out what is fair and reasonable.

8. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Actually under $200, at the last gun show I found several Lee Turret kits with everything but the dies for $120 and dies are another $40. I don't know where you live, but it is still an option SW Ohio.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Reloading ammunition for others is manufacturing. Federal and state laws require a Federal Licence to provide this service. There is also the issue of liability insurance. Friends can also become litigants .:eek:

10. noylj

noylj Member

Press-yes, but even the Lee Reloading Press at $25-30 will reload just fine
    dies--yes, and Lee makes find dies
    scale--for simple starting/target loads, one can use a Lee dipper and Lee data for the dipper to make perfectly safe loads for a while, though you will want a decent ($50+) scale soon after, and then a powder measure or a cheap trickler to trickle powder on the scale to the weight you want.
    tumbler and media--nope, all you NEED to do is wipe off the case exterior. Everything beyond that is done for YOUR pleasure, with no effect on accuracy
    manuals--look in used book stores or library if you can't afford new ones.
    and that is just the beginning--no, for pistols, that is pretty much it. For bottleneck case, you will definitely need a case trimmer.
    There are lots of "tools" made for people that love to play, but this what you need.

11. amstutz

amstutz New Member

Thanks guys, This is very helpful. I may explore reloading myslef at the costs you quote it would be quite reasonable. Never thought about "manyfacturing". Very good point.
    Lots to think about here. Again - how long will the "shortage" (total absence of ammo in our area) last.

12. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

Take a look at a RCBS reloading set and dies. Order cataloges from RCBS, Hornady, and Redding. Also get cataloges from various mail order cataloges . Do not get the cheapest brand of equipment available. I started reloading in 1953 and have kept equipment from the three companies listed. Since some congressman have said there should be a high tax on ammo and there should be more gun laws people have ben panic purchasing of arms and ammo. I dont know long it will take for the panic to be over. But when I started reloading copper was selling for under 20 cents per pound , now it is over $ 3 per pound on the world market so brass cases will reflect those prices.

13. RoGrrr

RoGrrr New Member

amstutz
    Find someone at the range who loads and ask if you bring your components to his house, will he let you use his equipment. That way he has no liability.
    You will get free lessons, tips on how to do things, things to be aware of when you get your own setup.
    Check craigslist for equipment.
    You will not need to trim pistol cases. You shouldn't need a tumbler/cleaner for anything, especially since you said your brass is clean.
    If you get an approval/invitation, ask if he's a beer drinker. If so, bring a 6 pack of THE BEST beer you can find.

14. 207driver

207driver New Member

Good advice!

Also there are deals to be had on eBay, GunBroker, AuctionArms, etc, etc.
    If your patient you can get some pretty good prices, but then you will need a work bench and shelving space. Besides, I think if you are going to shoot it, you should load it. Don't rely on anyone else to be as extra careful as you will be. besides, once you try it you will be hooked!

And it doesn't have to be beer you know!

15. activereality

activereality New Member

I started actually reloading about 2 months ago. But for the last 6-8 months I've had the goal to reload. I picked up items (that I vetted via person to person contact or interwebs) usually on sale or in some cases slightly used. There is a good front end investment, but once you figure out what you will need(realistically) then you can really save some good money.

Area prep is a cost that will probably be incurred in this. Not to mention all the little extras that are either needed or make a world if different in ease of operation.

My 2 pennies. Take your time. No rush. And find good deals. Don't spend more $$ than you need to through a false sense of urgency. It's the same "finish" line once you get what you have to have to reload. Then it's a game of what else is justified for use in the operation hehe.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Now that is a well thought out plan. Find a stranger at the shooting range who reloads. Buy plenty of good beer and have him teach you how to reload. Loading ammunition is properly controlling often extreme pressures near your face. I hope this is a sobering post.:eek:

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i guess i wasn't the only one that was thinking that!:eek:

my suggestion would be to buy the book, The ABC's Of Reloading and read it several times. get familiar with it very well. buy your own reloading equipment and learn to do it yourself. follow all safety procedures to the letter. there is agood reason. they will keep you from getting hurt or blowing up a firearm.

check out MidwayUSA or MidSouth Shooters Supply for reloading equipment. prices are reasonable and customer service is good, along with fast shipping.

18. tri70

tri70 New Member

I use the Lee Turret press with dies from RCBS, Hornady and Lee. 3 different manuals but always have 1 with new info. You can get in at close to $200-250.

19. activereality

activereality New Member

+1 for Lee equipment. I have a Lee Classic Turret and love it. It works well for novice and experienced alike. Good and solid, I don't feel like I have to worry about the materials and can concentrate on process more. Then again. I'm certain just about about any single stage or turret you get will do the job. Take it easy and don't force it if it isn't right and you're gtg.

20. RoGrrr

RoGrrr New Member

Nite and axx
    While you know you're being facetious with your comments, OP does not. Comments like yours will simply make enemies which is not what the list was intended for. Get real, already.
    C'Mon fellas. amstutz is looking for advice and we're (supposedly) trying to help him. But it seems you are trying to make a farce out of reloading and more economical shooting.

Having a little hands-on experience will prompt one to ask some intelligent questions which is far better than having to blindly buy things you have no idea about.