cosmoline in bolt?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by sunsoutgunsout, Jul 11, 2013.

1. sunsoutgunsout

sunsoutgunsout New Member

Bought a russian sks a few weeks ago, and reading some of the forums makes me wonder if i didnt completely get all the cosmoline out. I just field stripped it and let all the pieces soak, hoppes #9 with q-tips afterwards. Would cosmoline soak into the bolt? I'm pretty picky when it comes to cleanliness, especially with my rifles. I have never disassembled a bolt before so I have no idea where to begin! Step by steps and pictures would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

SOGO

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Absolutely possible and usually the issue with light strikes. I've seen nagants when the firing pin would just slowly creep forward because they were so caked with cosmoline.
    YouTube should have a step by step video.

3. sunsoutgunsout

Well then I should probably get on that! Soaking it in hot water with dawns soap is ok right? Or should i use an actually cleaner like hoppes? Is it pretty easy to assemble them afterwards?

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Mineral spirits will work well on breaking down the cosmoline. Teh Russians used oil, bees wax, and some other grease to make up their cosmoline. often the wax is what doesn't break down with other degreasers.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

6. sunsoutgunsout

7. sunsoutgunsout

Thanks for the link by the way, that'll keep me more self conscious with keeping my bolt clean and the hazards of neglecting to do so!

8. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I'm also a big fan of a short soak/scrub in mineral spirits.
    I usually use mineral spirits as a first step for all my routine gun cleaning as well.
    It helps keep my Hoppes pretty clean too...

9. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

i had the same problem with my mossion threw the bolt in the toster oven set on the lowest setting after warming it up for about 15 min it was a snap to clean with salvent

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Another way to attack that stuff is a hot ultrasonic tub.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I put my metal parts in really hot water. If I remember correctly it was boiling. Everything pretty much cleaned itself.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I boiled all the parts from my Eddystone. The stuff floated. I let it cool a bit, then slowly poured it through some paper towels (you don't want that stuff in your pipes. I guess you could toss it outside though).

Then I cleaned as normal. No biggie.

13. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I was having issues with mine.
    Completely stripped it, and found cosmoline, cordite, brass flecks, and crud all in it (previously owned). Soaked the parts mineral spirits, and she ran like a charm.