correct way to shoot through scope

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ILgunman, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ILgunman

ILgunman New Member

Hey guys, I am new to shooting with a scope. It sounds dumb, but I've never really done it before. I have heard different techniques of shooting with a scope. Can somebody direct me towards a good book or instructional video on correct shooting posture, techniques, and training.

Thanks, ILgun

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Since you are from Illinois, we'll need to see your FOID before discussing guns with you.

Sorry- could not resist the cheap shot! :p

In a nutshell, consistency is the key- you want your cheek meeting the same spot on the stock each time, so your view through the scope is identical- each time.

Using a scope is actually easier than iron sights- since you have fewer points to focus on. You have brought up a lot of questions in one or two, more than can be briefly answered.

The one issue that pops up is one eye or two? I shoot with both eyes open- focusing on the scope- some folks have a hard time learning to do that.

Rather than try to instuct at long distance, not having a clue what you are shooting, and your experience level, I am going to suggest you find an Project Appleseed shoot near you, and get into that. Link for you- Project Appleseed Home

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

do appleseeds teach scope shooting?? i thought they were pretty snobish about what gun you use. i could be wrong.

4. ILgunman

ILgunman New Member

HAH! I know man, its ridiculous. When I go over to Cabela's and pull out my FOID, they look at me like I'm from a different planet! HA! Thanks man! I just put a scope on my muzzleloader and I don't really feel like I am consistent enough to go out and try and kill a deer with it. Thanks for the info!