Correct terminology

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by jpattersonnh, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

O.K., I'll start off by saying I am pretty anal as far as firearm terminology. I would rather see Win. than winnie. When it comes to Military rifles there are models. Such as 91/30, M44, M38, 91/59, M39.... all of which are Mosin Nagants. There are also Russian, Soviet, Hungarian, Polish, Finnish.... examples of each. Why are they always called a Mosin? A Nagant is a pistol, a 1911 is a 1911, A P38 is a P38. I love it when folks talk about the .30 ought 6. I ask them what year the cartridge was accepted. Most have no clue. 1906 you moron! Lets just call a .30-30 a turty-turty! I sometime wonder what country I'm in! I always love that the reason WW1 was won by the Allied powers is that the 03 was better than the 98. The 03 is a copy that the U.S. paid a license fee to Germany to produce! I guess I'm getting too old.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. orangello

orangello New Member

There are C&R can openers?
    ;)

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

First off, everybody knows that Alvin York and Eddie Rickenbacker won WWI.

..and I agree, some gun slang is not just dumb, it's disrespectful.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Are you saying you are not a fan of "shotties"? You don't have any "gats"?
    I have learned that this current generation likes to attach nick names to everything. It is all rap music's fault.:p

5. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I guess if we have to be proper about everything here........the correct word would be "too."

6. jpattersonnh

That is the point. Watching movies as a kid, I thought Sgt. York and Rickenbacker did. What folks forget is the people that died and the places that it happened in is what won all wars.

7. jpattersonnh

Thank you! We can also be polite.

8. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Well as long as nobody says anything when I call a magazine a clip.:D

9. jpattersonnh

Do you mean a charger!;)

10. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Nah I don't do Dodge's.:D

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Then I guess 9 mike mike is out of the question? [​IMG]

12. jpattersonnh

You should see my driveway. All Mopar. I will say, the nastiest car I've ever driven was a 1967 Rebel w/ a 390. That car was nuts. Full cage, 2 buckets, and rubber on the floor. This is a 1970. Same color.

[​IMG]

13. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

"WW1 "
    If you're being proper, shouldn't it be "World War I"? :D

14. jpattersonnh

There is no I in 1.

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

heehehee:p
    [​IMG]

16. drumminor2nd

drumminor2nd New Member

"Such as 91/30, M44, M38, 91/59, M39.... all of which are Mosin Nagants...Why are they always called a Mosin?"

I think you answered your own question. They're all the same design, same caliber and same operating procedure. Just with different barrels and sights (or bayonets).

"I love it when folks talk about the .30 ought 6. I ask them what year the cartridge was accepted. Most have no clue. 1906 you moron!"

Would you rather them be anti-gunners? At least they take an interest. This kind of ivory-tower attitude does nothing but turn new people like me off of guns and gun owners. It makes you sound like a hippy going on about their Prius :).

"I always love that the reason WW1 was won by the Allied powers is that the 03 was better than the 98. The 03 is a copy that the U.S. paid a license fee to Germany to produce!"

No, a gun design the Springfield Armory stole from the Germans and got sued for didn't win the war. First off, there were more M1917s fielded, so the argument is moot. Secondly, we had superior tactics and fresh troops ready to go at a time when the German people were eating rats and shoes for lack of regular food.

BTW, I think Gen. Patton said it best with "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country."

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It is a Roman Numeral. I means one. II means two. Either is actually proper.

I agree that proper terminology is important, but we need to be careful to avoid driving newbies away. They need to be nurtured. Carefully educating them so they can become good, responsible gun owners and shooters. If we nicely nudge them in the right direction, and they reject our nudge calling us grammar NAZI's then they probably will not ever become a part of the inner circle. They are hard headed people that will end up getting banned and talking smack about OUR forum on other forums. The bones of such lost causes litter the landscape.

18. steve666

steve666 New Member

How about a hogleg????

19. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think "Smokewagon" may be acceptable because Josy Wales said it. ;)

20. Hawg

Hawg New Member

What eeveeeeeerrrrrrrrrr. :rolleyes::D