correct me if I'm wrong...

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by kasper89, Apr 17, 2012.

1. kasper89

kasper89 New Member

But it seems like revolvers are dated technology. Why would you limit yourself to 6 shots that are a pain to reload when you can have a mag that holds 10+ and changes out easily. I'm looking for another point of view. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  2. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I find them just fun to shoot. And my grandpa's .38 special was the first handgun I ever shot

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I carry an autoloader for PD.

I shoot my S&W 29-2 and 19-3 for shear pleasure.

Shooting a vintage wheel gun is like taking a walk back through history. It's as close as we can come to the likes of Elmer Keith, Jack Weaver, Col. Charles "Boots" Askins or Thell Reed today. :cool:

Attached Files:

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

How about 8 shots & moon clips?
    [​IMG]

I also like 1911s. Generic feeling plastic pistols aren't the be-all, end-all.

5. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

O.K. Here's my take on the subject:

First of all, I often shoot big, heavy bullets at around 1400 fps or so. My target may be down range a hundred yards or more. These targets often clang, break apart, or jump up in a most satisfyiong manner. And, sometimes, they end up on the grill smoking over a mesquite fire.

In most cases, I only need one or two shots, and other times I will empty the cylinder of all FIVE shots. Reloading is no pain, as the empty cases are deposited into the palm of my hand, from which I place them back into the box, ready for cleaning and processing into another round.

I do enjoy shooting, picking more and more difficult targets and at greater distances.
    And, I can go through several hundred rounds without reloading a single magazine. Talk about being a pain to reload!

Not all of my ammunition is fire-breathing long range stuff. Sometimes I shoot a pipsqueak load that can barely get through the thickness of the target paper. And my gun doesn't care how potent or impotent my round might be, it fires it with the same aplomb.

And, my guns have handsome case hardened colors, deep blued steel, and beautiful wood grips. Wood such as walnut, ebony, rosewood and mesquite.

And, the slower reloading times give me a chance to talk with my friend about whatever comes to mind at the time.

That's my take on the proposition.

Bob Wright

6. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Revolvers might be dated technology, but they sure do sell a lot
    of them or else the manufacturers wouldn't keep making them.

Revolvers might be limited in capacity, but there aren't many
    autoloaders with a 8" barrel.

There aren't many autoloaders chambered in .38 SPL, .357 magnum,
    .44 spl, .44 magnum, .45 LC, .460 or .500 S&W and so on.

What some call dated technology, others call it a thing of beauty.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

First off Ms. Mammy Grizzly says we aren't to use the "R word" anymore. :rolleyes: ;)

Second, if you try a .38 or .357 revolver for target practice/plinking, you will most likely fall in love with it. I don't see me carrying my 6" barreled GP100 around much for self defense, but i LOVE shooting target with it, as do my friends. Try it, you will probably be revolver shopping next week. If i had to defend the cats, i'd grab my shotgun or the XD45, but it is nice to know the GP100 is right there if the XD should malfunction (not that it ever has so far).

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have a revolver and I love it. I trust it more than my semi-autos and it will be the first gun I reach for in a home defense situation. And.....she's a beautiful, classic gun. Nothing says "gun" like a revolver, in my opinion. A Ruger GP100. I think she packs more punch than either of my semi-autos which are a .22 and a .380. Very little can go wrong with a revolver, unlike some semi-auto's. She's as reliable and a workhorse.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  9. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

As to carry, here's my "American Express" (never leave home without it):

[​IMG]

And, what it can do, and plenty fast:

[​IMG]

Good enough for me!

Bob Wright

10. kasper89

kasper89 New Member

Right on. Thanks for the input yall, and yea I may go try one out. Maybe you are right in the fact that it may just be I've never shot one. I like my px4 and xd45, buy I'm ok with opening my horizons lol

11. Donn

Donn Active Member

Refresh my memory, how old was the 1911 last year? Seriously, I've got both, use both and wouldn't think twice about EDC with either/or, (wearing a .38 snubby as I type). While not entirely foolproof, wheelguns tend to be safer, more dependable and user friendly, especially with novice shooters. IMHO reloading's not an issue. If you're at the range, who cares how long it takes. In a stress situation, if you need to reload, it's not self defense, it's a gun fight. In that case, I don't care what you're packing, you better be fighting your way to a long gun.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  12. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Both systems have theyre plusses and minuses, i like both systems, and i dont think youre retarded for asking, its whatever works best for you, and the situation/circumstances, that said, when the mags run out the revolver is quicker to reload then the magazine... i carry my blued 4" ruger police service six, .357 mag with wood grips on a near daily basis [and im able to conceal it too]...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thinking you've never seen a IPSC Open Revolver Class match :rolleyes:
    6 will do just fine with the right revolver in the right hands ;)

14. redscho

redscho New Member

When arthritis takes over and you can no longer reliably rack an automatic, a wheel gun keeps you in the game.
    Ruger Security Six .357 mag, S&W 638 .38 Spl, Ruger Single Six .22/.22mag.

15. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

Because I've never seen any black & white movies where the sheriff and bad guy are walking down the towns dirt road toward one another, and drawing semi-autos out of their cowboy holsters.

Seriously though, this is my home defense go to gun with CT laser sights. No fuss no muss, just pull the bang switch where the little red dot is. Target wise, I'm a much more accurate shot with a revolver than my 1911's and Glocks. A revolver is a thing of beauty! You can sleep with it and not worry about contraception. It eats very little and won't get fat on you. It doesn't get moody and pout. It will be faithful and never voluntarily leave you. It's a trophy piece other men will lust for. And you can caress it all you want and never buy it roses! What more could you ask for?

[​IMG][/IMG]

16. mcb

mcb New Member

I'm personally a big fan of revolvers.

Easy to use, reliable, and can shoot calibers that are impractical for autoloaders.

I rotate a .38 snub as a carry gun along with a 1911 and Glock 27.

My 6" 686 is what I keep in the nightstand I shoot it well and like the 357 mag. It's my first choice if I can't get to a long gun.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

Dennis, can it cook me breakfast? :D

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I don't feel under gunned with a revolver and speed loaders.

I believe that the revolver is a viable training device for anyone having problems with the basics of shooting.

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have mostly auto's but when it comes to hiking it is always the revolver that goes along. I can load snake shot to 357 in my SP101 and it does not care.

20. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Auto loaders are great, I have a few and want many more. Now wheel guns are great too, some people just don't feel comfortable with a safety or having to change mags. I like to carry a .357 every now and then depending on the perceived need, or a .40 or a .45.

I love to shoot a friends .22 revolver for plinking, I would love to get my Grandpa's S&W.32 into shooting shape, and I just like to shoot that .357 mag. snubbie for the boom boom effect sometimes.:D

Don't rule out something that you have never tried, that is how I found a passion for a 1911, but that is another story.