Corps' new Colt

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by michigan0626, Jul 30, 2012.

1. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

2. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

No kidding, that's almost $6,000.00 a pistol. Surely that's a typo but knowing our government, probably not.

3. cuba

cuba New Member

The 22.5 million is a contract that will run till 2017 and its not to exceed 12,000 unit, thats aproximately $1800 per.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

4. levelcross

levelcross New Member

That is some better, but at $1800 it should come with a lil sister for a bug.:p

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

its not just the guns but also spare parts magazines and training. so its actualy a very good buy

6. cuba

cuba New Member

I'm sure that $1800 covers the cost of development, spare part, support, and such.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i for one wont begrudge our troops the best combat handgun in existance.

8. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Totally agree with you Jon, personally I never thought the Baretta was a good idea for any of our military people.

9. cuba

cuba New Member

If anything the decision for the Marines to once again adopt the 1911 as their CQBP validated the superiority of the 1911 over others.

10. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I agree. A buddy of mine told me he dose not even carry his he hates it so much.

11. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

My M9 covered my ass more than once. Not saying they are better but they are damn sure better than nothing.

12. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

That's because nobody carries them anymore. They changed the rules and unless you were a COL or General you carried an M4.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

I loved my m9, to an extent. My only complaint was the fat grip. The ammo on the other hand... Left much to be desired.

And folks, the new 1911 is going to MARSOC. They're simply replacing the worn out ones that they never stopped carrying to begin with. Not trying to down play the situation... But until they're in the hands of all combat MOS Marines...

14. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I think you're right, the ammo is the main concern. If you get hit with a .45, you're most likely gonna go down. The 9 mil on the other hand is anyone's guess. I think the M9 is really one hell of a pistol, it held up well to some very extreme testing conditions but if you're in the thick of battle (and believe me I'm no expert on this), what would you rather have in your hands, a gun that will flatten the guy, or one that "might" flatten him.

15. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I have heard of situations ware troops accidentally flip the safety on when shooting the M9. Not sure how true it is but that's what I have heard.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Considering it's a very high slide mounted safety, and it flips down for safe, I think this is likely a myth. I had up actually reach up with my support hand to engage the safety.

Now, because so many are so worn, I have had problems flipping the safety off in my holster. If you Leeann against something, fall, or do almost anything that can cause a side to side pinch in that region if the slide, there's a chance of flipping it into the fire position.

17. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

all medics carry them

18. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

It begins to restore my faith in the American Way. We are the greatest nation in the history of the world! We need to rebuild our manufacturing base. New Colts for the Marines is a good thing. It may be a small thing to some but it must be a real good thing to the Marines. Now "Carry On!" ;)

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I have done some reading on the new MC 45 Pistol!
    All I can say is "WOW" Nice Piece!:D
    And it is about time we started going back to the 45 ACP instead of the 9mm. Now we just need a service rifle in a caliber that can reach out at the ranges that are sometimes required to engage the enemy that is shooting at us with 30 cal bullets. If you do not believe it shoot a 5.56 in the wind at 400 yards. Not to mention the energy of the two rounds in comparison. But back to the thread I am excited they are finally going back to the "Old Work Horse!"