Coronavirus diversion thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Mar 17, 2020.

1. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Girl, where you been? We missed you.

Scheduled vacation this week and next because my daughter is a senior in high school and this would normally be her spring break. I figure she will have a better offer than hanging out with her old dad for spring break next year. Schools cancelled for the foreseeable future and the ex works from home so they have not been in public for a while. I have been out and about as a truck driver till Wednesday, no good reason to drag my kid out of her cocoon at this point.

My nearest neighbor is almost a mile away, I am well supplied with most things, and will just lay low for the next week or so.

Gonna rearrange my shop some and do some shooting down by the pond. Gonna need all you guys and gals to provide my social interactions via the interwebs.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

If it keeps on raining around here,I'll have to build a raft to get around. Been kicking around in the house mostly. Gun range is under water,so I can't go shooting.
    I'll be mounting my new Steiner T5xi scope on a rifle tomorrow,as well as sighting it in here at the house.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Let us know when you find out.

Mister Dave likes this.
  4. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

If you run out there's always xvideos.com.

winds-of-change likes this.
  5. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad to be back, been talking to winds a bit here and there. Started a new job about the time I fell off the face of the Earth, then a second job, then was offered an opportunity to write curriculum on top of dealing with just life in general. Struggled through some mental health issues and ditched Facebook as well for awhile. But things are going good. Still working three jobs, so I'll be around but don't have a lot of free time.

primer1, winds-of-change and ellis36 like this.
  6. winds-of-change

You rock! You’re a strong woman.

7. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Cleaned and lubed another batch to kill some time.
    IMG_20200321_200001.jpg

8. F4U

Proud of you, but nobody ever said on their death bed " I wish I would have worked more" I don't know your situation, but balance seems to work for most people. A little work, a little shooting, a little yard work, a little house work, a little work in my shop, a little more shooting etc.

9. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought I may die come 2/15/2020. Tested positive for Type A influenza and viral pneumonia. Almost had to have an ambulance called for me. Had flu shot as I always do. But this sucker got me anyway. Sickest this old man has ever before been.

10. winds-of-change

Cinder is young. I remember working my *** off when I was younger. It takes a good while to get established after student loans and in Cinder’s case buying a ton of tools and a very large tool chest. When she gets caught up, she’ll be able to work less and enjoy life more.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    RJF22553 and ellis36 like this.
  11. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Will be doing mine too since I took them all to the range Tuesday.

Whether they really need it or not. Another cathartic activity. :)

PANDEMIC, boatme98 and PeeJay1313 like this.
  12. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm working towards not working so much.
    I would like to teach so when the curriculum writing opportunity fell in my lap I really couldn't say no. I do it from home and on my time which is nice.
    I'm paying off some debt, improving my credit score so I can refinance my student loans and hopefully buy a house next year and then I can slow down a bit.

13. F4U

It is great that you are getting to do what you want.

14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Im already to the point "I work too much" .. At was at least hoping for a vacation from this corona stuff.... :p

All I really want is more time to work on my Scout... :(

winds-of-change likes this.
  15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Cinder, my son is an auto tech. Right now he is working from home for a parts outfit and he teaches at the local community college. He is trying to get on at the college full time and stands a good chance when there is a permanent opening. Right now he has 6 engines torn down and the school has gone to online over the virus. The students are divided into teams and each team has an engine that has to run to pass. He has a problem. The students really need the hands on lab time.
    His daughter has to finish rebuilding the engine in her car to be able to drive it. She will know more about cars than most of the boys her age.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If any of you are laid off and need work some of the companies that do home delivery are hiring. Amazon is looking for 100,000 people. Pizza Hut is looking for 10,000 from cooks to truck drivers and everything in between. Some states like AZ have an online jobs list with immediate openings sorted by area.

boatme98 likes this.
  17. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Cinderocka, a great and noble intent and course. Jobs that you can do from home (even if the market doesn't require it) are great for snowstorms, other weather events, or something like a pandemic...

I telecommuted my last 2-3 years of employment, with brief interludes before then during storms or 9/11. While I had previously worked with classified systems (not possible to work from home), my later years were thankfully all focused with unclassified systems (with a few, rare physical meetings to address some classified stuff).

I think much of this national mind-set will change as a result of all this, and telecommuting will be far more accepted. I was on the leading edge in our company, and what really changed for them was that our "customer" moved from DC to Huntsville, AL but still wanted our support from DC. So our team pretty much did telecommuting with them from our offices and then later, the company realized we could just as easily do that from home (which would free up office space).

Some key points: if you wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweats about something work-related, do the e-mail then! Timestamps of 0230 carry a lot more weight than ones during standard business hours...and weekend timestamps! I did a LOT of that because I cared about the work, and it paid off.

towboater likes this.
  18. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I cleaned my new revolver yesterday
    785236FA-AA9E-4582-BD38-CFEBDE1FCC24.jpeg