Coronavirus diversion thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, and sarcasm.

towboater likes this.
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

yep.

Come on, Cinder. You can do this! Tell him you are so sorry this happened to him. Hug him and tell him you’ll do what you can to help him. Cook him a ‘comfort food’ dinner. Tell him you know he’ll find a new job. Keep your eyes and ears open for any opportunity. Help him think if there is anything else he can do temporarily. Hug him. Kiss him. Tell him you appreciate him.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020

3. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Oh, jeeze. He'll have a job within three days. Tell him to go fishing til somebody's dragging him back to work.

Cinderocka1989 likes this.
  4. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

In high school, I had a part-time gig as a paid pallbearer. Had to buy a suit but there were always plenty of left-over ties ...and potted plants for my mom. My grandfather got his eyeglasses from my boss but when he said he needed some new false teeth, I was afraid to ask. There are jobs out there some folks never think of.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

First 3 words would be a good start to improving his outlook.

6. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Cinder, just some words of perspective from one who has experienced many things that seemed disastrous but led to great and wonderful things...

There is a reason that we may not truly know for our difficulties, that changes our focus or direction, and it usually turns out for the better.

We lost our contract with a great customer but our company reassigned us to an even better customer. There was a pay raise associated with that as the winning bidder offered us jobs doing the same thing we were doing, for greater pay. Our company matched and exceeded that. Your BF may well find an employer with a similar policy.

After a few years, our new customer moved from the DC area to Huntsville, which could have been disastrous, but they kept us on. That led to eventual 100% telecommuting, with company-provided Blackberrys. Our customer essentially had 24/7 access to us and we loved it as we loved our customer (feeling was mutual for a while).

Life was good, and I got to spend a lot of quality time doing what most "work from home" folks are doing now - and spending time with my beloved pets curled up next to or near me. Lunch breaks were a short walk with my Fi, and sometimes a long walk as I carried my Blackberry along. Wandering in the woods with her certainly clarified some challenges our customer was facing. I even telecommuted for a while (during decent weather) from my screened-in porch, with my Fi soaking up the afternoon sun while listening to me talk-and-tap...

The long-and-short part is your BF will fall into a far better job as a result. And a better employer. He has critical skills that are needed. He'll be okay, and probably better off.

From one who has had the opportunity to reflect on life. Lots of things that seemed very bad at the time that turned out to be blessings in disguise. In fact, pretty much every disaster in my life turned out to result in an incredible blessing.

7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

This thing will pass. I try to imagine what our parents' generation faced and overcame with few of the advantages we have today. Our greatest disadvantage is that few living today never experienced even a fraction of what those who lived through the 1930's and '40's had to overcome or what people in other parts of this planet deal with every day. This thing isn't a test. Heck, it's not even a pop quiz.

8. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Hope you blokes are ready for the next instalment of we gotta hurt your arse more from the world govts. .................................because the world has been locked up and nobody can go anywhere so the use of fuel has declined this has caused a glut of fuel sitting around so the price per gallon/litre has dropped dramatically sooooooo in an effort to keep the oil barons filthy rich all oil producing country's have agreed to cut back production and that also includes the USA.................

https://www.9news.com.au/world/glob...ce-crash/b5f79d21-bdae-412c-ae79-7a8ee8b419da

9. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I have spent a little time in the oil patch, an I have a meager idea what it takes to keep all that running. You can't run at a loss and make it up in volume.

Oldoutlaw and RJF22553 like this.
  10. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

I may yet get covid but right now the economy worries me. I think we need to go back to work now. New York of course can wait.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

12. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

you all need to get back to work so my pension fund stays healthy.

primer1 likes this.
  13. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

Deleted post .................

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    RJF22553 and primer1 like this.
  14. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Hairbear1, there is also that little bit about where to put all that production when your storage tanks are full...When your bladder is full and you can't pee, it is insane to increase your water consumption...

15. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

Deleted post...........

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    primer1 likes this.
  16. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Can't argue with that but it's after this bug has gone and the world returns to it's normal stupid and the excess oil has been used that the hurt will come pocket wise and not only for fuel but for anything that is oil based in production from plastics to tyres.

RJF22553, sheriffjohn and towboater like this.
  17. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Made some donuts.

[​IMG]

RJF22553, towboater and primer1 like this.