Core 15 S&W or Bushmaster

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by dnlsoz, Oct 7, 2013.

1. dnlsoz

dnlsoz New Member

My local gun dealer is going to give me a deal on one of the three that I decide? An Core 15 a4 Scout with 3 mags, S&W MP15 sport or a Bushmaster Carbon 15! I have never shot an AR style gun my budget is pretty low and Iam going off what the dealer is telling me... Iam trading in a gun and he is giving me the choice of the three for the same price... I know that the S&W sport doesn't have the dust cover and foward assist but the quality looks good... The dealer is telling me that the Core 15 is the best deal and quality.... What do you think?

2. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Do not get the Carbon 15!!!!!

3. dnlsoz

dnlsoz New Member

What's wrong with the carbon 15... Is the quality issues? Or is its parts cheap?

4. Argyle_Armoring

Both. You can't change out the handguards to a free float system and it's a polymer gun. The upper is not mil-spec and I wouldn't dare shoot 5.56 through it.

5. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I'd say the Core 15 its a higher end rifle the S&W is a great rifle but minus a few elements that the Core 15 has such as dust cover forward assist also has a higher price tag then the sport

My 2¢

6. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

After much investigation, I went with the S&W, optics ready version. My verdict: Never been happier with a firearms purchase (and I've purchased a few). Seriously - 100% satisfied customer

I have never seen a negative comment about the Sport, other than : no forward assist and no dust cover. If they don't matter to you, it surely will not matter in terms of the rifle's performance

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

What prices are we talking?

8. bigjim

bigjim New Member

It is really getting boring that reviews are posted by people that haven't a clue about what they are talking about. Well I guess that isn't anything new, most people said the same thing about Glocks when they first came out.

Get the gun that suites you best and gives you the best deal. As to C-15's I think it is a very good gun for the price.

Jim

This one's had over 1,000 rounds of 223/5.56 through it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. amorris11

amorris11 New Member

Shoot 5.56 through my C-15 all the time never had a issue. The only problem I have ever had with it is the top rail on the upper receiver is not part of the upper receiver and is held on with a screw, and came loose after extended shooting, once I put lock tight on the screw it hasn't come loose since.

10. Argyle_Armoring

Read the bottom of my signature and learn it. I build AR-15's for a living. I've had plenty of Carbon 15's in my shop and I know what you can and can't do with the Carbon 15. I have even had discussions with the techs at Bushmaster about them.

I love Glocks and it's the only handgun I trust my and my family's life with.

11. dnlsoz

dnlsoz New Member

The dealer is going to basically sell one of them to me for $680... I should add that the Carbon 15 came with a scope and the smith had flip up Magpul sight but the smith and the Carbon 15 only had 1 magazine. I know for a couple of hundred more I can get more quality... But the dealer is giving me a deal on a trade that I have brought in...otherwise I wouldn't buy till next year...

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Of the three you mention, my preference:

1) Core 15 M4 Scout (see if you can get the 1:8 twist)
    2) SW M&P Sport
    3) Bushmaster C15

They'll all probably work fine, so personal preference is key. If you've got cash in hand and have a feel for exactly what you want, you can probably do quite a bit better at the same price from somewhere like PSA. But it sounds like the trade is a big part of this equation.

Best of luck.

13. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

$700 cash should buy u the S&W or Carbon 15 with no trade in that's a normal price for them but the core goes for around $800-$850

14. bigjim

bigjim New Member

The C-15 from the factory comes with a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot ($80), riser ($19.95), hard case ($29.95), sling (?) and 2 30 round mags ($40.00). If the dealer is giving you anything less, he is ripping you off. (MSR $849.95) When on sale $649.95

Jim

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  15. dnlsoz

dnlsoz New Member

That's is the price that he is giving me before taking the trade... So it sounds like the Core 15 is the better deal! But the twist on the barrel is 1:7 does that make a difference in price?

16. Car54

Car54 New Member

No twist won't alter the price but if your dealer only has a 1:8 in stock, that's the one he will try to sell you without ordering another in the 1:7.

I also vote for the Core15.

17. amtech4

amtech4 New Member

I've got a Core 15 and am very happy with it's performance- in fact I am considering getting another.

18. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

This is a polymer AR (such as a bushmaster carbon 15) I found a pic posted by 556 Tactical LLC

ForumRunner_20131008_174228.jpg

OUCH!!!

19. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Between the 3 at equal price I also agree that the Core is the best choice.

20. smarquez

smarquez New Member

If the trigger group is consistent I would get the Core. I used a Core15 lpk in a Mega Arms lower. It is a much nicer trigger than the S&W MP Sport (which I had first) and even better than a Stag trigger in a JD Machines lower.