Cops think they can violate your right

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by michigan0626, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fAjBy5vIQ&feature=related"]Idiot Cop[/ame]

This is the third part of a cop cam video where a man is stop for OC'ing in Michigan where OC'ing is legal. Click the link then fast forward to the 6:22 mark in the video. This guy has a lawsuit, the cop confessed to his intent.

2. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Alright I am all about gun rights and open carry laws, but this FN idiot walking around a fast food joint, where you know kids and passive customers are visiting, gives us gun owners a bad name. You as a gunowner should be able to make reasonable decisions. This is not the old west. If you feel you need to carry just go get a cpl. If you can't get one you probably don't deserve one because of bad choices like this. If your going to wear a gun you should know the general public views open gun carry a scary thing. Unfortunitely if you do allow this kind of activity your going to have a lot of idiots brandishing their guns legally, and don't mistake it, it is brandishing hiding behind the oc laws. Reasoning, you can still carry a gun, protect yourself, and not make the neighbors crap one in their shorts. Why wouldn't you. Give the cop some credit.

3. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

so instead of going and getting a concealed carry permit he open carrys knowing full well someones bound to call the police.now hes sewing or has a lawsuit that he'll probably win costing the tax payers of michigan thousands of dollars not to mention the waisted time of everyone involved.

4. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

that sounds about right. That was probably his intent and he probably will get what he wants. Does anyone have his name so I can google him and find out where he lives, then kick him in the shorts.:eek:

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'm a little skeptical of the OC guys that film or tape audio of their time out on OC mode. While I"m all for people being allowed to OC carry, and I will at times as well but I don't go out looking for a situation to test local LEO's opinions about it.. And when you have someone carrying around an audio recorder or has someone vid taping it seems to me that they are looking for evidence many of times.

Simple fact of the mater is if you are carrying a weapon and someone sees it they might call police. And when they come out you are the guy with a gun. I do think sometimes LEO can get out of hand in situations like this but if they are called out they are going to say something. I'm not giving an opinion about this vid or anything. Just looking at it from more than one angle is all.

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

This is part 4 of the second time the same officer stopped him for OC while riding a motorcycle. Video footage, as with the other video is from Police Camera
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqode6S-U5Q&NR=1]YouTube - Part 4 of 4. Officer Paul Albrecht target's Kimberguy and violates his civil rights again.[/ame]
    This is about 30min into the stop, the officer gets schooled on michigan carry law over the phone by a prosecutor.
    CC with CCL = LEGAL
    OC with CCL= LEGAL
    OC without CCL= LEGAL
    At @ 1:30 into this video the officer tells the prosecutor on the phone
    "I just hope someone kicks the $hit out of him and uses his own gun on him"
    Probably out of embarrassment/frustration of not being able to charge the driver with anything...again

Some states OC is much more accepted, in large part to individuals exercising their rights and educating the public and LEO in much the same way as this individual is doing. I believe VA is one of them.
    I generally don't OC in my home state of PA even though it is legal because of the unwanted attention it can bring and I feel that most of the time CC is the best option.
    However, the law is the law, if you don't like the legal rights we have to carry firearms as they stand now gadrooning, maybe you can contact your legislature about repealing OC/CC laws or maybe join or support the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.:rolleyes:

7. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

Gotta agree with ya,gate.
    The guy is doing nothing against the law and the cop should school himself in the law.
    I have to admit these two are also trying to see whose ego is bigger.

8. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

I definately do not want to repeal OC or CC carry as I am an advocate for this. I do have a CPL license and enjoy the rights carry. However with all due respect, saying the law is the law is poor way of looking at current laws as being right or absolute. The world is not black and white and nor should the view of the gunlaws. My point is that we should be able to OC but with that comes resposibilities. Do you really think it is OK for individuals to be able to carry openly anywhere? Do you really think that everyone is responsible enough or careful enough to carry a gun. Course not, but people do have the right too. I am saying lets put a squash on these idiots like this before they change enough public view to open carry all the time and you and I know that will mess up the OC laws for you and I. I am trying to protect our OC laws not supress them.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  9. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

That the the cop car's video cam. I too might not agree with those that go out trying to get the cops riled up(Ridley Report), but at the same time their message is right, Cops should get educated on the legality of OC and CC.

10. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Sure it should, its called the U.S. Constitution, which is.....black and white.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  11. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

then why are there laws against carrying in a bar, school, federal building, or places with more than 1500 people. This in itsself proves that there still has to be some order for carrying fire arms. I do not see this on Constitution. Do you????

12. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

"Idiots" challenging and educating people and LEO on OC can and do lead to change.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXuvCfzBH_I&feature=channel]YouTube - Michigan Open Carry Members Prompt Warren City Council to Repeal Illegal Anti-Gun Ordinances[/ame]

Not exercising your rights may keep them out of the spotlight, but does nothing to protect them.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Laws differ from state to state regarding OC. Here in Ohio it is legal with restrictions. Once Ohio finally passed CC, it came with restrictions that apply to OC as well. For instance, every restaurant, bank, convienent store, etc can display a sticker on the door prohibiting firearms. I know of no restaurant or fast food place that does not have one. That means even OC is illegal on that property.

14. collegekid20

collegekid20 New Member

Here in Va yo can oc and cc. You can't conceal carry in bars but you can open carry. I haven't been to one restaraunt that has asked any of my friends open carrying to leave. It's very accepted here and the way it should be everywhere.

15. Car54

Car54 New Member

This is exactly what is going to occur in every locality, in every state, should the push for OC be increased. Eventually people will be so incensed by seeing so many guns and the way they are being forced upon them, they will force business owners to post signs prohibiting weapons on their property just as skullcrusher noted in his post. And the last sentence in his post hits hard at all of us because they can also forbid the CC also.

So the few who feel the need to OC and make a lot of noise, must be wanting to grow some gonads, or maybe they are trying to show their neighbors how bad they are that they can carry a gun, better pay attention to what the down side of all this.

my .02 worth

16. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Gate I think we are on the same side. It sounds like from the last post that the city had an unconstitional ordinance against firearms. In this case I agree 100 percent with you. The city cannot ban firearms in OC state.

However i think you missed the point I was trying to get at. Why open carry even when it's legal, when you can easily conceal carry and not scare folks.....why?

17. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Thank you Car you said it better than I could. It is the idiots that are going to supress our gun rights, that want to stroke their own ego's, that I am worried about. Not the idiots who inedvertantly help our cause. I think this falls under the first part.

18. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

By the way great posts. This is the type of topic that we really need to chew the fat on, even if i agree or don't agree with you. So throw on the boxing gloves and take a swing, I got thick skin.;)

19. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

I think this is on the mark. From a protection standpoint I would not want to open carry when I could conceal it. Doesnt make tactical sense.
    If this was in an area where CCW was not allowed, then it makes sense. What is happening in Cali for example. The "civil disobedience" (although its not disobedience since its within the law) is a great way to get issues out in the open.
    The arrogance from the second video is disturbing. Seems to be a trend as of late. It is asinine to me that an officer would hae to arrogance to state that the guy should not be able to open carry when you can see two police officers in the same screen with open carry guns. They are not by law (see the LA Riot lawsuit results) responsible for an individuals safety. So why would we allow another man to tell us the people that it is OK for them but not OK for us? B.S. in my opinion.
    Dont get me wrong, I am very pro law enforcement. I have done a lot with LEOs and will continue to do so. It has reached a level where it becomes a "joke", a big yuk yuk, when one claims that someone has violated one's rights. It isn't.

20. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

OK, what about the States that deny your CCW (for everyone but the well connected) but allow open carry? People need to get over seeing someone with a weapon on their hip! Does the Police Officer at the counter of your local eatery make you nervous because he/she is wearing a weapon?

What about States whose CCW law requires a $500 annual permit fee but allows open carry? This just says that if you're rich you have the right to self defense!

Until States realize that possession of a firearm and carrying such is our Constitutional Right, there are always going to be these issues.

You can open carry in California, but the weapon has to be unloaded and you cannot have ammo within easy reach if you decide to exercise this right! Kind of shouts SHOOT ME or Feel Free to take my Gun!!

Stores that post No Firearms don't get my business and I have no problem telling the management!! I know, but I don't care if I have to drive 100 miles to get what I want or order from the Internet...that's what I do.

This is as much a right as standing on a soap box in the middle of the town and spouting your political beliefs. As much a right as writing the editor of your paper and expressing your ideas. Self defense is a God given right and as long as the bad guys have access to firearms, we should too!!

I do have an issue with telegraphing that I am carrying though!! I'd rather it be a suprise!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.