Copper ammo for hog.,

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by icallshotgun88, Nov 7, 2013.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

Anyone have any experience/review on either the remington hog hammer ammo or the Winchester razorback xt ammo?
    Both are all copper bullets and are designed specifically for hog..
    I can use either a .308 or .223
    Like? Dislike? Other options for me?
    I'm going on my first hog hunt...

note: I need an all copper bullet because I'm hunting in the "Condor region" of California and we are not allowed to use lead in that part of the state (...BS, I know)

2. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

I'd be taking the .308 because it's got better knockdown power on pigs.
    Sorry haven't had any experience with copper ammo.

3. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i've killed a few dozen wild hogs using the excellent .223 caliber 55 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullet in my handloads. The TSX is an all copper bullet. Federal sells the 55 grain Vital Shock load for the .223: That load uses the Barnes 55 grain TSX bullet. Federal also sells a 150 grain load for the .308 that uses the TSX bullet.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/ammunition/loaded-ammunition/

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I wouldnt waste good , high dollar ammo on hogs , They will die the same with a FMJ or a HP

5. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have used the monolithic 'copper' hollow points for MANY years in MANY different calibers and bullet weights and I have had very good results. Early on they were very temperamental about which gun would shoot them accurately but all of them I have used recently, both hand loaded and factory, have been working well in most guns I have used them in.
    As for the 55 gr 223 bullets I personally have not used them but a friend of mine has terminated several hogs with them and likes them A LOT. I have not been able to do a 'post' on any of his kills but if they perform as well as the ones I have used in larger calibers I would think they would be acceptable for up to medium size hogs.

6. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The OP lives in CA. The state of CA outlawed the use of bullets containing lead in the area the OP hunts.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Ahhh gotcha , God forbid I ever have to move there

8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Or the laws ever move to you.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought the Kalibaners recently banned the use of lead in the whole state.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you have a 12 ga shotgun with a rifled barrel Winchester XP 300 gr sabots contain no lead. They have tremendous range for a shotgun. Plus they really pack a wallop (300 gr @ 2,000 fps). At close range especially when the hog is running towards me I would have great confidence in the XP sabots.

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I'm with you!

Would have been a good piece of info to know.

I handload Barnes XFB 53gr. I theory they should be fine at 100 yards. I'd opt for heavier. The 53gr is humming at 2700fps at 100 yards, but the issue is energy. 870fpe at 100 yards.
    The .308 150gr tsx at 2700fps MV has over 2000 fpe at 100 yards. You need to hit 500 yards for the 2 to come close.