Cop Kills Raging Knife Wielder

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by alsaqr, Sep 14, 2020.

1. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

The 8A has a fairly clearly statement of ostensible "prohibition" upon such things as bail:

Amendment 8 - Cruel and Unusual Punishment. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Of course, the courts have long since ceased caring much about that, in example after example.

"Shall not be required," which is taken with as much seriousness by the courts as is "Shall not be infringed."

Which is to say: it isn't taken seriously, as a prohibition. If anything, "excessive" is whatever a judge wants it to be.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  2. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If this was a second or third offense, I would not grant bail to someone deliberately attempting to seriously injure or kill other people, and that would include arson.

3. BamaChad

BamaChad Member

My two cents is a knife is definitely a deadly weapon. In a certain way it is extremely deadly because people underestimate them. You pull a gun and people act seriously. You pull a knife and many just laugh. I think the officer was totally justified in his decision. It's his life on the line. It's his decision to make.

4. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Too many law enforcement officers have died at the hands of knife armed scoundrels. If the subject of this thread had hesitated he would be dead.

Turns out the attacker in this case was a bipolar schizophrenic who was off his meds.

BamaChad, ellis36, Gatoragn and 2 others like this.
  5. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

When I took my conceal carry class, the instructor ended the class with a picture of a dead body, he was cut from his side up to his chest. He then told us he was killed by a pocket knife and “knives are deadly weapons, do not under estimate them”

6. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes it was his decision to make, but if you want accountable policing its for others to decide if it was justified on not.

7. alsaqr

G66enigma and BamaChad like this.
  8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

9. BamaChad

BamaChad Member

That's exactly why I said "I think". It's my opinion. Of course there should be accountability for police officers. That is something our country needs to work on with our law enforcement. I totally understand the brotherhood situation and them wanting to stick together but more need to make the decision to start holding bad cops accountable for their bad actions.

manta likes this.
  10. alsaqr

Domestic violence calls are very dangerous. While answering complaints of domestic violence bodily injury and violation of bond, San Antonio police were forced to shoot a man. The perp attacked and injured a police officer. While attempting to control the perp, he pulled an officers firearm from it's holster.

"According to preliminary information from the San Antonio Police Department, around 1:45 p.m. Tuesday, five officers were attempting to serve two warrants in the 100 block of Willee Drive in Loma Park for domestic violence bodily injury and violation of bond for family violence offense."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...police-said/ar-BB194xAM?ocid=msedgdhp#image=1

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

I hated domestics . Trying to cuff the guy whose fighting you with the girl he just beat the crap out of on your back trying to pull your ears off.

Never had to shoot anybody during one though.

alsaqr and Rifling82 like this.