Cop Block/Cop Watch... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Tackleberry1, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Having recently begun the activity of "open carry" after 17 years of daily CC...I went looking for LEO encounters on You Tube... just to get an idea of the varying reactions in the different jurisdictions around the Country.

I've seen everything from what I'll call the "Make you Famous" activists out looking for an LEO response... to people who OC because it's not legal for them to CC... and carrying a camera to protect themselves and assert there rights.

Some of them were talking about "Cop Block" which appears to be an organization started down in Berkley CA... when a bunch of college kids decided that the areas homeless population needed protection from LEO abuse and started following officers around with Cameras.

After hearing stories like last week's episode where 8 CA Cops seem to have "knight sticked" a drunk man to death... then confiscated civilian phones with video evidence... I'm thinking citizen cameras on Police Officers, in public, is probably a pretty damn good idea.

What say you...

Tack

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I don't see it being necessary myself...

And if they're dealing out some "street justice" to people who open-carry in cosmoplitan areas to make a pointless point, I'm on the police's side, as I usually am, despite their highschool-dropout God complexes.

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Sunshine kills mold and mildew, along with many other blights.

Let the sun shine!

4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Wow... hope you never find yourself on the wrong end of that "street justice"...

Tack

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As every patrol car has a camera, my Deputies are used to being on camera. 9999 times out of 10,000 the video exonerates the officer. I do not fear the civilians with I phones. They can, however, get a bit pushy to "get closeups". If we have to go hands on with someone, it is a potentially dangerous situation. We have a responsibility to keep the bystanders and ameteur videographers safe.

Keep a safe distance and vieo to your heart's content

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I hear you... and I'm certain dash cam video protects Cops from bogus citizen complaints every day.

Personally... this activity is not for me... Hell, I work 50 hours a week and chase 4 kids...:eek: Well, 3 now, since the oldest is 21 and on his own. ;)

Tack

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would not have a problem IF...

the full episode was caught on tape. For someone to come in at the wrong time and start recording at the wrong time could give the incorrect perception of the situation.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Taking video- from enough distance that you are not interferring with the officer- no problem for me.

For the person that THINKS they are an attorney and wants to become PART of the discussion/ interaction- that person may not know as much law as they THINK they know- and may be about to learn about interferring and obstruction charges.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

If I was an LEO, I would have a tie cam, a pistol cam, and a back-of-hat cam to keep myself covered in the event of a lawsuit.

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Don't forget the "zipper cam"... we know how you are with them "cute" bears. ;)

Tack

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I'll admit... I did see one video where the "sidewalk lawyer" got to join the perp for a ride downtown... and I enjoyed it.

Kid was mouthing off to the officer and telling the suspect that he did not need to cooperate with the officer.

Now... technically he was right... but we certainly was not the guys attorney and were I the officer, I'd have felt threatened "enough" to arrest him as well.

On the flip side... I've seen several when the officer is acting WAY to aggressive toward a citizen... bordering on abuse and intimidation... IMMEDIATELY change his demeanor when he realizes cameras are present... which tells me the guy who really needs to be filmed constantly... knows darn well how to turn off his equipment... and get away with it.

Sunshine really is the best "disinfectant". ;)

Tack

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I don't have a problems with people recording. I have long grew tired of the YouTube commandos looking for their 15 minutes. Dumbassery is what it is. Recording it only brings proof and food for the all cops are evil set. Now if they actually catch an officer getting out of line that is not intrusion, that is evidence.

Cell cams are everywhere now days. Everyone including LEO just need to get used to it. I don't like traffic cams but am told that if I'm doing nothing wrong then I should be OK with it. That should work both ways...

13. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

No kidding!!!!

14. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tack,

I think that's a pretty good idea.

Given that police officers are human and will do what is in their interest to do, it's nice to have an outside observer that can only observe and record what happened.

I also think a camera can't convey the totality of a situation.

I am of the opinion that everything the government does should be recorded in one way or another.

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I think maybe we all need to take a deep breath and get out our dictionary and look up "paranoid.":eek:

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I dunno, it used to work. Don't ya think we'd all be well served by locutus being thrown a beating and questioned without a Miranda warning?

Kidding!

Right!?

17. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Im a Badge Bunny, So i say the more cute cops we can get on video , the better.........:)

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm an American. I have no fear of my police.

Where you from??:D

19. j4454

j4454 New Member

What he said. 99.9% of encounters are recorded anyways. Idc just know your place don't over step the boundaries. Most of the guys on YouTube are just editing to favor there view; as well if you look for trouble long enough it will find you.

20. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Mouthing off is not illegal. Arresting someone for being mean to a LEO is pure and simple constitutional violation.

A local dept used to have dash cams... until their dash cam caught the officer violating constitutional rights... all the dash cams mysteriously were taken out as the technology wasn't "stable".

There are a lot of video gaps when an officer does something wrong. Courts have accepted the officers "word" when video cameras suddenly have recording issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.